Post a reply

Re: Ladbrokes Players Championship Last 32!!!

Postby Cheshire Cat

It's not even funny how much better Hendry has been today in the ITV studio compared to recently with the BBC. He's been really insightful.

Postby Cloud Strife

Cheshire Cat wrote:It's not even funny how much better Hendry has been today in the ITV studio compared to recently with the BBC. He's been really insightful.

Has he?

From what I've heard, he's just been pointing out the obvious like the rest of them.

Postby SnookerFan

Cheshire Cat wrote:It's not even funny how much better Hendry has been today in the ITV studio compared to recently with the BBC. He's been really insightful.

It'll be interesting to do a comparison.

As I've already said earlier in this thread, Hendry was a great commentator on the BBC when he started, but I've gone off him a bit. The BBC as an institution almost seems to encourage bad commentary. They definitely give no incentive to be a good one. Famous ex-players are there because they are just that, irregardless of what they know. If commentators can claim; "I don't know anything about this player" and get away with it, what incentive is there to really try maintain a decent level of knowledge?

I think he's legitimately a decent commentator, who for the last few BBC tournaments hasn't seemed that bothered and just hasn't been trying. Hopefully a stint on ITV4 who seem to legitimately want to provide genuine insight, will bring out the best in Hendry.

Postby Cheshire Cat

Mmm, I can't remember the last time I heard Hendry talk about shots in the BBC studio. It's why I preferred him in the commentary box rather than a studio. All he did at the Masters was sit there and say hi to players as they came in for interviews.

Postby Gridlock

SnookerFan wrote:
Gridlock wrote:Hi all just popped in to say Smurphy not looking too bad ...in this match that is!

How is the USA? :D

My little corner of it is fine, thanks! :-)

Postby SnookerFan

Cheshire Cat wrote:Mmm, I can't remember the last time I heard Hendry talk about shots in the BBC studio. It's why I preferred him in the commentary box rather than a studio. All he did at the Masters was sit there and say hi to players as they came in for interviews.

I like that ITV4 do frame-by-frame analysis. Makes it feel like we're watching a proper sport. <ok>

Postby TheRocket

SnookerFan wrote:

It'll be interesting to do a comparison.

As I've already said earlier in this thread, Hendry was a great commentator on the BBC when he started, but I've gone off him a bit. The BBC as an institution almost seems to encourage bad commentary. They definitely give no incentive to be a good one. Famous ex-players are there because they are just that, irregardless of what they know. If commentators can claim; "I don't know anything about this player" and get away with it, what incentive is there to really try maintain a decent level of knowledge?

I think he's legitimately a decent commentator, who for the last few BBC tournaments hasn't seemed that bothered and just hasn't been trying. Hopefully a stint on ITV4 who seem to legitimately want to provide genuine insight, will bring out the best in Hendry.

Hendrys problem is (not just Hendrys actually, same with Doherty as well) that his seatmate in the BBC commentary box is Dennis Taylor (more often than not at least). And your level can just drop if you have to commentate along with Dennis Taylor. An old man who keeps going off topic all the time by talking about golf, the 5:20 maximum of ROS when there's no need to do so or Thorburn flying over first class.

When Hendry was commentating with someone like Willie Thorne I thought, it was a good combo. Both are just talking about the game as it should be and there's no off topic basicially.

It'd be wrong obviously to lay all the blame on Dennis Taylor but he plays a big part in just dragging down the general BBC commentary to a really bad level.

And that's why Hendry and Davis are the best commentators for me in the BBC. They could speak a little more during the match but at least they know what they're talking about and just talking about the match and the players as it should be. Doherty and Thorne are ok as well.