Post a reply

Re: Ladbrokes Players Championship Last 32!!!

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
stateofwonder wrote:This is for SF - I can understand most of the pet names for snooker players ;-) here on the forum, but where does selecta! for Liang Wenbo come from?

It was coined by Eurosport announce Colin Murray. Based on the song Bo Selecta.

"Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Bo Selecta)" by Craig David featuring Artful Dodger

Bo = good or great
Selecta = DJ
Re-Rewind = please return the current record to the beginning MR DJ, because we would like to hear it again.

Postby SnookerFan

So, in translation. The crowd think the current track being played is quite magnificient, and subsequently congratulate the Disc Jockey on his ability to pick a tune of such quality. Then ask if it can be rewinded to the beginning for further enjoyment.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:So, in translation. The crowd think the current track being played is quite magnificient, and subsequently congratulate the Disc Jockey on his ability to pick a tune of such quality. Then ask if it can be rewinded to the beginning for further enjoyment.

That's about the size of it, my man! :mosh2:

Postby SnookerFan

Ali Carter believes his new vegan diet will help him tackle Crohn’s Disease and improve his form on the baize at a crucial stage of the season.

The three-time ranking event winner has suffered from the illness for 13 years and was recently told by his consultant he may need more surgery, a measure he is desperate to avoid.

Having missed much of last season due to a cancer scare, Carter has enjoyed a steady return to action in 2015/16 and has followed in the footsteps of Neil Robertson and Peter Ebdon in experimenting with a plant-based diet.

"I don't want surgery on my stomach because I don't believe it's the answer," said Carter. "I've had it before and it creates scar tissue, so they want to remove the scar tissue but then I'll just end up with more.

"So for the last eight or nine days I have been trying a healing diet which involves eating nothing other than fruit and vegetables. I am feeling a lot better and hopefully that will continue."

The 36-year-old, who has also battled cancer twice within the past three years and is still having regular check-ups, added: "If I'd never had any health problems I think I would have won a lot more, but it's something I've always had to deal with."

The two-time World Championship finalist reached the Quarter-Finals of the Ladbrokes World Grand Prix last week and is encouraged by his form ahead of the Players Championship in Manchester, which runs from March 22-27.

"It was good to win a couple of matches though I was disappointed to lose in the quarters," said the world number 28, who won the Paul Hunter Classic earlier this season. "I feel something good is around the corner.

"This is a rebuilding season for me. It was great to win a title and I had hoped to get back into the top 16, but realistically my goal is to do that in time for the Masters next season.

"I will have no ranking points coming off because I missed a lot of events last season, so that will be the time for me to climb back up."

Carter will take on Graeme Dott on the opening day of the Players Championship at Event City on Tuesday.

http://www.livesnooker.com/category/maj ... 0321-0003/

Postby Cheshire Cat

ITV are implying on Twitter that Hendry is only doing the first 4 days of the event. Figured if he were to do anything it would be the semis and final, but oh well.

Postby SnookerFan

boris_the_butcher wrote:the best five or six players in the world are missing. It's even less prestigious than a regular PTC it seems.

Selby is the only one one from the line-up who pulled out, isn't he?

If higher ranked players don't earn their place there, it doesn't detract from the prestige. All players are here on merit.

Postby TheRocket

Can't wait to watch some Snooker today. In fact I can't wait to finally see the start of the World Championship so the PTC and China Open will be more like a little taste of things to come.

Postby eraserhead

Really glad to see eurosport and ITV expanding their snooker coverage. It always makes the tournament feel more serious with a bit of punditry.

Postby hendry_fan

Cheshire Cat wrote:ITV are implying on Twitter that Hendry is only doing the first 4 days of the event. Figured if he were to do anything it would be the semis and final, but oh well.

I was gonna give this tourney a miss,but now that i,ve seen/heard that Hendrys doing some commentary,i,ll watch bits n bobs.

I also wonder how ITV managed to get him to commentate for them,maybe he,s a fan of Phil Yates. :-D

Postby TheRocket

hendry_fan wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Mark my words. Ding will win the World title.

I,d be happy with that,anyone but Ronnie. ;-) :happy:

You're still worried about Ronnie equalling or breaking Hendrys record of 7 World titles right? <laugh>

I think that ROS will win one more World title at max. I just can't see him winning more than one in the 40's. It's just too much of a task. We're not in the 70's anymore when Reardon had no big competition and won World titles in his 40's. I think, Ronnie wasted his opportunity in 2005,2006 and 2014. Those three tournaments will be the ones he'll be looking back as he choked in them.

But to be honest. I'd be more than happy if he ends his career as a 6 Times World Champ and equal Steve Davis. After 2011 we all thought that ROS would never win a World title again. So everything is like a bonus.
Last edited by TheRocket on 22 Mar 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby stateofwonder

hendry_fan wrote:

I don't mind Ronnie winning, as long as people give him a real run for his money - if he plays a few of the top players Selby/Murphy/Trump/Robertson on his way to the final and wins close matches, that's perfectly fine. He also doesn't seem to have a particularly good record against Mark Allen

Postby Cheshire Cat

SnookerFan wrote:How is Hendry doing on punditry? Has he mentioned how much he hates PTCs yet?

But of course. Right from frame 1 or 2 he asked the big question: 'Do you like best of 7s? I don't.'

Yates is doing comms with him.

Postby hendry_fan

TheRocket wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:

You're still worried about Ronnie equalling or breaking Hendrys record of 7 World titles right? <laugh>

I think that ROS will win one more World title at max. I just can't see him winning more than one in the 40's. It's just too much of a task. We're not in the 70's anymore when Reardon had no big competition and won World titles in his 40's. I think, Ronnie wasted his opportunity in 2005,2006 and 2014. Those three tournaments will be the ones he'll be looking back as he choked in them.

But to be honest. I'd be more than happy if he ends his career as a 6 Times World Champ and equal Steve Davis. After 2011 we all thought that ROS would never win a World title again. So everything is like a bonus.

You,re 1000% correct there TheRocket,i,m very worried that Ronnie could equal or even break Hendrys amazing record of 7 World titles.

I said a few years ago though,that if Ronnie were to indeed succeed in doing so,then i,ll be heartbroken,but i,ll be full of praise for him and i,ll take it like a man.

We all know,that it,s a tall order for Ronnie to achieve at least another 2 world titles,but as long as he plays,he still has chances in doing so.

Of course Ronnie wasted opportunities in the past,but many other players could say the same,it is what it is though and as i,ve mentioned many times before,one could ramble on n on n on about the what could,ve beens,what should,ve beens,ifs n butts.

As a matter of fact,every record that gets snatched from Hendry breaks my heart,he,s lost a few to Ronnie especially the last few years,the old dumpling Fergal O`Brian even broke my heart when he snatched the record from Hendry in being the oldest player to make a *147*. :grrr: <laugh>

The main 2 records that Hendry still holds that i,d dearly like him to keep,are the world title record and the record he holds for the most ranking title tally,both are gonna be incredibly difficult to beat. :happy:

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:How is Hendry doing on punditry? Has he mentioned how much he hates PTCs yet?

He spent the first ten minutes slamming Best of Sevens, Barry Hearn and all players that aren't in the top 16...

Sounds about right. Hendry. :roll:

It's a shame. I used to rate him as a commentator. But he's turned into a miserable old man, who hates watching snooker unless he's paid to do so. And even then he moans about it.

Postby hendry_fan

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

He spent the first ten minutes slamming Best of Sevens, Barry Hearn and all players that aren't in the top 16...

Sounds about right. Hendry. :roll:

It's a shame. I used to rate him as a commentator. But he's turned into a miserable old man, who hates watching snooker unless he's paid to do so. And even then he moans about it.

I missed the start of the match,so i don,t know for sure if Dan-cats pullin your/our legs,i,m 99% sure that Dan was bein sarcastic and that Hendry did,nt say what Dan wrote. :-)

Or are you pullin our legs,bein sarcastic?. <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

hendry_fan wrote:I missed the start of the match,so i don,t know for sure if Dan-cats pullin your/our legs,i,m 99% sure that Dan was bein sarcastic and that Hendry did,nt say what Dan wrote. :-)

Hard to tell with some of the commentators. rofl

Postby hendry_fan

SnookerFan wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:I missed the start of the match,so i don,t know for sure if Dan-cats pullin your/our legs,i,m 99% sure that Dan was bein sarcastic and that Hendry did,nt say what Dan wrote. :-)

Hard to tell with some of the commentators. rofl

Hendry must feel like he,s won the worlds for an 8th time,havin the privealige of commentatin with Mr Yates. :-D

Postby Cheshire Cat

Being a pretty good ambidextrous player, Murphy doesn't seem to use his left hand as much these days. He used it quite a bit when he broke through in 2005.