Post a reply

Re: Rolling Rankings Discussion Topic

Postby Wildey

Yes if i was a player especially Dave Harold id totally ignore the WS Rankings and Follow Matt's Standings.

players will be going in to the 2011 World Championship not knowing where they actually stand because after the 2011 World Championship the points for the 2009 china open and the WC Will be taken off...... they should be taken off at the start of that period so players actually know whats happening.

Postby Wildey

jesus christ the confusion regarding something that should be easy is rife.

people just cant grasp how the rolling rankings work and World Snooker has managed to totally confuse them.

the current World Snooker provisional Rankings is approaching it 3rd year rolling along just adding points at will

will they remember to take off points or in 5 years time Ronnie will be on about 250,000 points <doh>

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:This PTC has made it a whole lot more confusing !

not really on this mate its clear as day just theres more points to win whats confusing people is the taking off points not the putting on points they just cant grasp the fact a point fairy will come along and take points away.

but instead of coming now the point fairy it seems has gone on a long vacation and will not be able to come until October. <doh>

Postby Bourne

Sorry if this seems obvious or crazy, but i'm assuming it's rolling in the same way as the tennis, are they taking off from last year (and adding on this year) points every 7 days ?

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Sorry if this seems obvious or crazy, but i'm assuming it's rolling in the same way as the tennis, are they taking off from last year (and adding on this year) points every 7 days ?

yes that how it would be done if it was rolling every tournament but in snooker its cut off points in the season and instead of taking the points off at the start of the period they gonna take off the points for the 2008 NIT,shanghai and GP at the end of the period meaning this http://www.worldsnooker.com/site_files/ ... nkings.pdf is actually a false reflection of the provisionals and this http://prosnookerblog.com/rankings/2010 ... -rankings/ from matt is the truer reflection where players actually stand after points deducted.

Postby Casey

Bourne wrote:Sorry if this seems obvious or crazy, but I'm assuming it's rolling in the same way as the tennis, are they taking off from last year (and adding on this year) points every 7 days ?

That would make things very interesting, although do you think that system is fair? Am I right in saying even if Federer had of won Wimby this year Nadal would have pulled further away in the rankings?

Postby Roland

case_master wrote:
Bourne wrote:Sorry if this seems obvious or crazy, but I'm assuming it's rolling in the same way as the tennis, are they taking off from last year (and adding on this year) points every 7 days ?

That would make things very interesting, although do you think that system is fair? Am I right in saying even if Federer had of won Wimby this year Nadal would have pulled further away in the rankings?

Yes of course that's right and it's right that it's right! Federer defends his points whereas Nadal got zero points last year which at the time cost him big time because he was world number 1 and he lost the points for winning Wimbledon the year before so it was a double whammy for him. There is no arguement that says rolling rankings isn't fair.

Postby Wildey

of course its fair..

it rewards consistency for example in this last window Ronnie loses most points followed by John Higgins but where as Ronnie drops to 4th but John is still no 1 and still 2,000 points clear at no 1 hence consistancy over a sustained period.

Postby Bourne

I think it's fair, but I guess that's subjective. When you have an injury to a top player and they're missing big events then the 'consolation' is that the next year, if fit, the chance to gain huge is a nice softener.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:I think it's fair, but I guess that's subjective. When you have an injury to a top player and they're missing big events then the 'consolation' is that the next year, if fit, the chance to gain huge is a nice softener.

That is going to happen in the next window of seedings when Points for Barhain and UK 2008 is taken off Robertson will Lose 7,850 points for winning the Barhain and a last 16 at the UK where as Selby will only lose 1050 because he wasn't in barhain and he lost last 32 to williams in UK.

Postby Casey

Wild, what sort of points has Murphy to lose? Off the top of my head he will not be in a good position when he loses his winners points from the UK in 08. He hasn't done much in ranking events since then...apart from the World final I suppose.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:Wild, what sort of points has Murphy to lose? Off the top of my head he will not be in a good position when he loses his winners points from the UK in 08. he hasn't done much in ranking events since then...apart from the World final I suppose.

For UK and Barhain section Murphy is the biggest loser with 8,200 points deducted.

i say loser persanally i like it because now players cant realax after winning the World Open and Shanghai they got to go on and win many more because if thats all they gonna do they will be punished far quicker than before.

and in that window Selby loses the less apart from Simon Bedford that had only 500 points to defend.

and thats another key it isn't actually losing but thats how much points they got to defend.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Ahhhh, snooker is 2 year rolling isn't it, not 1 year ...

yes its 2 years and judging by the confusion 2 year rolling has created its a good thing so that everyone in snooker can get their head round it first going to 1 year some peoples heads will fall off with confusion lol

and case Murphy had a very poor 2009/2010 finishing 13th on the one year list but now that poor season will be biting him on the bottom during this season unlike before.

Postby Witz78

For all those critics of rolling rankings, all types of ranking system are rolling to an extent, even the old snooker one rolled but only once a year........

One thing im dissapointed with in the new set up is the lack of points for last season for the newcomers like Figeurido and also those new to the tour last season like Drago who get their 09/10 starter points deducted.

This means all of these guys pretty much will prop up the rankings all season long. Sure they arent getting 08/09 points deducted from their tally as they dont have any in their totals ans whilst as the others above them do, the gap will close, it does mean that they will be stuck in the first ring of qualifying all season long, so its just similar to the old system where it will be hard for tour newcomers to quickly move up the rankings.

Further up it isnt a problem because all of these established guys are on a level playing field to an extent so the form players will reap the rewards instantly and vice versa the off form players.

With no safety net of the one year top 8 list for those outwith the top 64, i fear come the end of this season yet again the "mediocrity" will be rewarded

Postby Wildey

to be honest witz i think the starter system works out favourablty where as say delaney gets 7,000+ of his points deducted by the 2011 WC it brings him down roughly level with newcomers who gets nothing deducted and drago who gets nothing deducted will only build on his 9,000 points with no deductions so by the end of this season the newcomers will be climing up the rankings just by winning their opening match in each event where as the likes of delaney will have to defend their points won in 2008/2009 before they get profit.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:to be honest witz i think the starter system works out favourablty where as say delaney gets 7,000+ of his points deducted by the 2011 WC it brings him down roughly level with newcomers who gets nothing deducted and drago who gets nothing deducted will only build on his 9,000 points with no deductions so by the end of this season the newcomers will be climing up the rankings just by winning their opening match in each event where as the likes of delaney will have to defend their points won in 2008/2009 before they get profit.

i see what your saying but why not just give the tour newcomers this season, the starter points for this season plus whatever the starter points were last season so they are starting within reach of the top 64 with a chance to get in there sooner and start to progress up the rankings.

This talk that come the end of the season they will get the benefit is no good really, as far as these guys are concerned rolling rankings dont exist as they are so far isolated to start off with and wont see any benefit throughout this season, barring a freak run of form.

Poor old Tonys also been victimised, why not give him the starter points he had last season in addition to the 9000 he gained last year so hes rightly in the mix and ready to continue his charge up the rankings and probably starting from one less round of qualifying. He could easily lose a percentage of these 08/09 starter points as the season goes on.

Hes back to square one in some respects.

Postby Wildey

Looking at Drago for instance i can easily see him with PTC winning about 10,000+ points on top of the 9,000 hes got so your talking Drago going to be up there on 20,000 points i think how World Snooker has made it is Leveling the playing field without making it to easy for players deducting a % of his last season points might give him about 22,000 points as apose to my projected 20,000 he will be very much inside the top 64 as for newcomers they will have to put in the hours and racking up points via the PTC and hopefully winning a few first qual matches aswell.but that also goes for Delaney,Wallace and Co.

Postby Wildey

With this new Ranking system Steve Davis has problams 40% of his overall Total was won during the first part of 2008/2009 season NIT,Shanghai,GP,Barhain and UK he could be heading out of the top 32 by World Quals unless he gets his skates on.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:Ranking tournaments points break down are now up on worldsnooker -

http://www.worldsnooker.com/files/Tour% ... hedule.doc

7000points for the world open is a bit much imo

THATS A bucking JOKE

and world snooker will find out how much of a bucking bull marmite that is.

you get 7,000 points for winning a best of 5s = 20 frames in a week and you get 2,000 points for winning 28 frames in a PTC spot the discrepancy there.

Then you only get 5,000 for the Welsh and German ......God Barry Wake up and smell the bucking coffe

Postby Wildey

E Mail Sent to World Snooker

How Can you justify giving 7,000 Ranking points to the winner of the World Open?

its Ridiculous they only got to win 20 frames, and only give 5,000 points to the winner of the Welsh and German god all mighty thats so thick its laughable.

i understand the need to change the Grand Prix Format but NEVER EVER give it the same status and Ranking Points.

Less Frames Less points it really is that simple is there any chance of that Sinking in or am i asking to much.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Delicately dealt with wild ...

the winner of the World Open gets a PTC Equivelant more points than the Welsh Open for far less work and with the draw eliment the big names could be knocking themselfes out early with someone going through the draw picking up massive points for doing virtually buck all.<doh>

Postby Witz78

On the flipside the high number of ranking points on value will add to the pressure so id still expect most of the big names to progress just as they did in the short format PTCs and also even in the Snooker shoutout id expect the big guns to do well too.

But i do agree that for the Worlds only to have 10,000 points compared to 7,000 for this is laughable

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:On the flipside the high number of ranking points on value will add to the pressure so id still expect most of the big names to progress just as they did in the short format PTCs and also even in the Snooker shoutout id expect the big guns to do well too.

But i do agree that for the Worlds only to have 10,000 points compared to 7,000 for this is laughable

big names could knock themselfes out last 32 and leaving the coast open for a unknown unheralded player to win it Remember Bob Chaperone

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:On the flipside the high number of ranking points on value will add to the pressure so id still expect most of the big names to progress just as they did in the short format PTCs and also even in the Snooker shoutout id expect the big guns to do well too.

big names could knock themselfes out last 32 and leaving the coast open for a unknown unheralded player to win it Remember Bob Chaperone

Yeh Higgins blew that final though, he seemed snake hissed the whole time during that match thinking he only had to turn up