Post a reply

Re: Rolling Rankings Discussion Topic

Postby Monique

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... hange.html
RANKINGS SYSTEM SET FOR MAJOR CHANGE
The ranking system is to receive its first major overhaul in two decades as part of Barry Hearn’s new plans for snooker.

The list will receive an official revision twice during the season rather than solely at the end of it.

This means that the field for the Masters and the players guaranteed to be at the World Championship will not necessarily be the top 16 as it stands now.

This is controversial because players have spent the last two years competing in tournaments unaware that a major change was coming.

But though some players will be aghast, many others will see it as a chance to more quickly rise up the list and have their success rewarded.

I understand that the first revision of the list will come at the conclusion of the World Open. The top 16 will therefore be seeded through to the final stages of the UK Championship and will be at the Masters.

The second revision will most likely come after the Welsh Open, which will give us the 16 players seeded through to the Crucible.

The new system should, in theory, better reflect current form. After all, the 16 players at the Masters are not the best 16 players in January, they are the best 16 players based on a two-year list which ended eight months before the Wembley event.

The old system caused stagnation in the game. How can it be right for players in the top 16 to win just one match in each event and hardly budge?

Hearn’s ethos is that the more success a player has, the more he should see the benefits.

Let’s take one at random: Tom Ford. He’s a good player and was a Crucible qualifier last season.

Imagine if Tom won the Shanghai Masters. Under the previous system, he would have to wait an entire year until the same event the following season to earn any reward.

Under the new system he would go up the rankings, possibly enough to get in the top 16 straight away.

Peter Ebdon dropped out of the top 16 after 16 years just last month. If he performs well at Shanghai and Glasgow he could be back in a matter of just months rather than having to wait a whole season.

I can understand some players being unhappy with all this. The system has barely changed at all since the early 1990s when it was decided to award thousands of points at a time (younger readers may be surprised to know that ranking event winners used to get just six points).

But it fits into Hearn’s aspiration to have players aiming high and receiving the rewards when they achieve.

And actually as it stands right now only two top 16 players – Ryan Day and Marco Fu – are outside the elite bracket on the one-year list, with Jamie Cope standing 15th and Ken Doherty 16th.

I can think of three players – Doug Mountjoy, Ronnie O’Sullivan and Ding Junhui – who have won the UK Championship, the biggest ranking title in the run up to the World Championship, and still had to qualify for the Crucible (Ding missed out).

Indeed, it was theoretically possible to win every title on the circuit and not be guaranteed a Crucible place.

Equally, it was possible – and it has happened – that a top 16 player can lose every match during the season and still be guaranteed a place in Sheffield.

Why should this level of protection apply to a player who is not producing the goods on the table?

And furthermore, why shouldn’t snooker try something new?

It would certainly create more media interest because it would effectively create the ‘Race for the Masters’ and the ‘Race for the Crucible.’

As with everything else in this new era, it may not be a perfect idea and it may not have the support of everyone.

But the old ranking system was like swimming through glue. The new one should at least guarantee that those who achieve on the table see the rewards - the very essence of what sport should be about.

Good compromise IMO between a full rolling system and the old stuff.

Postby Casey

So are last year’s points out the window? Are will they now drop off when the corresponding event comes about this year?

Postby N_Castle07

I understand that the first revision of the list will come at the conclusion of the World Open. The top 16 will therefore be seeded through to the final stages of the UK Championship and will be at the Masters.
Am i reading this right? The top 16 after the World Open (which is best out of 5 and could produce shock wins and defeats) will be entered into the Masters?

Postby Casey

Ding is number 1 on the one year list. So assuming he has a decent run in the first PTC event he will be the new world number 1?

Postby N_Castle07

With time i think this system will be great and will show a true reflection of the top 16. It is so exciting to be a snooker fan right now.

With this new system in place do you think it spells the end of seeing the likes of Davis, Doherty, Hendry and Ebdon in the televison stages of major events?

Postby Monique

N_Castle07 wrote:Quote
Am i reading this right? The top 16 after the World Open (which is best out of 5 and could produce shock wins and defeats) will be entered into the Masters?

Yes, but points will be calculated over a year time frame, so last year points are not out of the window. It will not just be Shanghai Masters, World Open and whatever PTCs. It will be all ranking points earned after the 2009 GP. At least this my understanding.

Postby Casey

N_Castle07 wrote:With time i think this system will be great and will show a true reflection of the top 16. It is so exciting to be a snooker fan right now.

With this new system in place do you think it spells the end of seeing the likes of Davis, Doherty, Hendry and Ebdon in the televison stages of major events?

Yes it is very exciting indeed, this is a big incentive for players. Especially Judd Trump who was going backwards in the rankings.

As for the end of Davis, Doherty, Hendry, Ebdon...not sure really. Even with this system, winning your first round matches will be enough to keep you in the top 16. Davis will be out of the top 32 soon enough. Hendry is close to retiring anyway, Doherty and Ebdon will be dangerous first/second round opponents for a couple more years yet.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:Ding is number 1 on the one year list. So assuming he has a decent run in the first PTC event he will be the new world number 1?

thing is the list Ding is top of has disapered from WorldSnooker.com.

so i dont know how that will work and quite possibly after all the PTC Events before shanghai then the list that Ding is top will come out .

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
N_Castle07 wrote:Quote

Yes, but points will be calculated over a year time frame, so last year points are not out of the window. It will not just be Shanghai Masters, World Open and whatever PTCs. It will be all ranking points earned after the 2009 GP. At least this my understanding.

im slightly confused how it will be worked out however i think changing it in this way is a possitive move in the right direction and i suspect once the season starts it will become clearer however at the moment what points they will start what points are dropped off etc is as clear as mud lol

Postby Roland

wildJONESEYE wrote:im slightly confused how it will be worked out however i think changing it in this way is a possitive move in the right direction and i suspect once the season starts it will become clearer however at the moment what points they will start what points are dropped off etc is as clear as mud lol

World Open ends September 26th, so on that date you will have all points from 26/09/09 - 26/09/10 counting towards the official rankings until 20/02/11 which is when the Welsh Open finishes so then the rankings until the end of the season will be based on 20/02/10 - 20/02/11.

At least that's my understanding.

In which case Ding should start the new season as World Number 1.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:im slightly confused how it will be worked out however i think changing it in this way is a possitive move in the right direction and i suspect once the season starts it will become clearer however at the moment what points they will start what points are dropped off etc is as clear as mud lol

World Open ends September 26th, so on that date you will have all points from 26/09/09 - 26/09/10 counting towards the official rankings until 20/02/11 which is when the Welsh Open finishes so then the rankings until the end of the season will be based on 20/02/10 - 20/02/11.

At least that's my understanding.

In which case Ding should start the new season as World Number 1.

yes thats my understanding but officially John is no 1 but how they do it in tennis is whoever ends the season as no 1 is the no 1 i suspect but for tournament perposes it changes.....maybe bourne can confirm or tell me im talking bullocks lol

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:
N_Castle07 wrote:With time i think this system will be great and will show a true reflection of the top 16. It is so exciting to be a snooker fan right now.

Yes it is very exciting indeed, this is a big incentive for players. Especially Judd Trump who was going backwards in the rankings.

As for the end of Davis, Doherty, Hendry, Ebdon...not sure really. Even with this system, winning your first round matches will be enough to keep you in the top 16. Davis will be out of the top 32 soon enough. Hendry is close to retiring anyway, Doherty and Ebdon will be dangerous first/second round opponents for a couple more years yet.

Stephen Hendry will have to be more consistent in the PTC theres no doubt about that and possibly these events will Help him get consistency and if he don't he could drop out but lets not forget the lowest Hendry has been even provisional since 1987 is 11 his current Ranking and even now he is 9th on the one year list even John Higgins been provisional 14th at the start of the 2006/2007 season so he is doing something right.

Postby Monique

Well there is no certainty Ding will be number one. He's currently n°1 on the one year list, but John Higgins is officially number one for now and, should he be banned :(, then it would be Neil Robertson. After the World Open the rankings will be recalculated. Ding is currently less than 400 ahead of Higgins, 1600 points ahead of Robertson, 3240 points ahead of ROS. This means that if any of those perform well in the Shanghai Masters and World Open they could easily overtake him, would he have an upset.

Postby Wildey

edit from Dave Hendon Blog

EDIT: World Snooker have been in touch to say the list be actually be revised three times during the season, not twice. It will be after the World Open, the UK Championship and Welsh Open.

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:Well there is no certainty Ding will be number one. He's currently n°1 on the one year list, but John Higgins is officially number one for now and, should he be banned :(, then it would be Neil Robertson. After the World Open the rankings will be recalculated. Ding is currently less than 400 ahead of Higgins, 1600 points ahead of Robertson, 3240 points ahead of ROS. This means that if any of those perform well in the Shanghai Masters and World Open they could easily overtake him, would he have an upset.

Ah i thought they were going to start with the positions on the 1 year list rather than the current 2 year list.

Postby Wildey

before first revision

5 PTC Events
Shanghai Masters
World Open

then before second Revision

7 PTC Events
UK Championship

Then Before third Revision

Masters
German Masters
Welsh Open

then before End of Season Rankings

PTC Final
China Open
World Championship

Postby Monique

case_master wrote:
Monique wrote:Well there is no certainty Ding will be number one. He's currently n°1 on the one year list, but John Higgins is officially number one for now and, should he be banned :(, then it would be Neil Robertson. After the World Open the rankings will be recalculated. Ding is currently less than 400 ahead of Higgins, 1600 points ahead of Robertson, 3240 points ahead of ROS. This means that if any of those perform well in the Shanghai Masters and World Open they could easily overtake him, would he have an upset.

Ah i thought they were going to start with the positions on the 1 year list rather than the current 2 year list.

Maybe indeed but the official ranking list on WPBSA is still the one calculated after the WC. I think they will keep it though. Somehow it would be a bit unfair to change that now because the players did know nothing about this new system.

Postby Wildey

i think for the shanghai masters and World Open it will be http://www.global-snooker.com/professio ... g-list.asp

then for the UK Championship it will be http://www.global-snooker.com/2009-10-O ... g-List.asp plus points won in the 5 PTC,Shanghai and World Open.

i think thats the fairest way to do it.

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:
case_master wrote:

Maybe indeed but the official ranking list on WPBSA is still the one calculated after the WC. I think they will keep it though. Somehow it would be a bit unfair to change that now because the players did know nothing about this new system.

Fair point, there is also a lot points to play for between now and the end of the world open so players that are struggling have a chance to catch up <ok>

Postby Wildey

theres talk on TSF that the rankings will carry on from the official JH no 1 list with points of the 2008 NI Trophy,Shanghai and GP going to get dropped off after the World Open ?

if thats the case Stephen Hendry is Laughing as long as he starts the season well he only got 3,775 points from thoes 3 tournaments lol

Postby Wildey

Good Old Dave Has the Answer

Dave H said...

Scrap that! I have the answer...

It will be a two-year rolling ranking list. Therefore, after the World Open the points from the 2008 NIT, Shanghai Masters and Grand Prix will be removed.

so the ding junhui top of ranking list is nil and void <ok>

Postby Wildey

some people just want their favarites protected at all time and does not see the excitement this will bring.

The only problem with the rolling system is that it penalises players who have done well

Ronnie O'Sullivan received 4,000 points for winning the Northern Ireland. First round losers got something like 700.

So he will be losing a big chunk off his overall total while those who did no good will lose hardly anything. This doesn't strike me as tackling mediocrity.

Postby Wildey

After Taking the points Earned for thoes 3 Tournaments off

Ronnie O'Sullivan is on 35,710
Neil Robertson is on 45,105
John Higgins is on 46,470
Ali Carter is on 39,520

it just shows how consistent players has to be now to maintain a ranking.

Postby Casey

wildJONESEYE wrote:some people just want their favarites protected at all time and does not see the excitement this will bring.

The only problem with the rolling system is that it penalises players who have done well

Ronnie O'Sullivan received 4,000 points for winning the Northern Ireland. First round losers got something like 700.

So he will be losing a big chunk off his overall total while those who did no good will lose hardly anything. This doesn't strike me as tackling mediocrity.

Well when tournaments drop off the tour it doesn't help matters, however some players were always going to suffer slightly because of changes, that’s just the way it is. By this time next year it will have steadied.

Postby Wildey

it will mean playing well in the first 2 tournaments of the season then going walkabout and thinking they done enough is no longer a option because it could cost you badly a crucible spot when the revised rankings come along the following season.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:some people just want their favarites protected at all time and does not see the excitement this will bring.

if thats the case Stephen Hendry is Laughing as long as he starts the season well he only got 3,775 points from thoes 3 tournaments lol

Some people..........you included ;)

Postby Wildey

it swings in roundabouts i understand that and think its great but theres people who see rolling rankings as negative now <doh>