Post a reply

Re: Alternative proposal by John Davison "Mr Altium"

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Case don't be blind mate. This is all about Doyle.

if doyle was on the board happy with barry everything hunkey dorey Thia second proposal would never have happened.

Postby Monique

Now this ...
http://www.sportinglife.com/snooker/wor ... ooker.html
John Davison, the former Olympic shooter bidding to take charge of World Snooker, has rejected an invitation to attend Wednesday's crunch players meeting in Sheffield where rival Barry Hearn hopes to be given the go-ahead to run the sport.

Davison claims his bid is not being afforded the same platform as the proposal from Hearn, the chairman of the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association, has received.

Davison said in a statement: "We do not feel that the board is adopting a fair process or creating a level playing field for all bids.

"I therefore cannot accept their invitation to attend.

"I very much want to address the players directly, something that the WPBSA board has expressly stated that I am not to do.

"I want them to have the chance to ask me the many questions I am sure that they have before making such a massive decision. I am always happy to compete - in sport or business - as long as I know that the rules are fair and being abided by."

Davison is making his second attempt to take control of the professional game, having almost succeeded in 2002, and has support from players including Stephen Hendry, Peter Ebdon and Ding Junhui.

Hearn wants his Matchroom Sport business to take a 51% controlling stake in the WPBSA's business arm, World Snooker. Until Davison came forward last week he looked certain to get his wish.

Hearn has pledged more tournaments for the players and increased prize money, from £3.5million in 2009/10 to £4.5million in 2010/11. He has also promised to return control to the WPBSA if he fails.

Davison's bid would see him take 63% at a price of £315,000, for a fixed 15-year period.

Davison has said the £315,000 would be paid out to the world's top 64 players, and has pledged that prize money will rise to £5million next season, with guaranteed income for players at various levels of the sport.

Tonight's statement from Davison's bid team said: "The inability of snooker's governing body to respond to John Davison's request for clarity and transparency of process ahead of tomorrow's EGM in Sheffield has prevented Davison from accepting an invitation to attend.

"Davison's late bid to lease the commercial rights to snooker in a £16million, 15-year deal, has brought a new focus to the special meeting called by Hearn who hoped to have his own bid to buy the sport rubber-stamped by the players."

Davison himself said: "The WPBSA has failed to respond to my repeated requests for clarity and transparency of process.

"We provided written responses to the clarification questions sent to us by the WPBSA board on Friday evening at 7pm. As of 5pm today these have not been forwarded to WPBSA members. We have not had a single response to our emails and calls during the course of today.

"I'm afraid this only reinforces my view that the sport needs to realign itself very quickly to the modern era if it is to have any future at all.

"When I realised that the players were faced with a 'take it or leave it' bid by Barry Hearn to buy outright 75% of WSL [World Snooker] forever, for £1, leaving the players with 25%; I decided to offer the players a future where they were partners in our plans and held 37% of WSL for 15 years before the rights reverted to them entirely.

"I obviously considered the WPBSA's invitation to attend the EGM very seriously but the meeting has been convened to consider Barry Hearn's ultimatum: it has a fixed agenda and cannot allow a vote on our proposal.

"Unfortunately, we have been told nothing that makes clear how the independent directors of the WPBSA envisage us being involved, and even if this were given to us now ahead of the EGM we would obviously not have enough time to prepare properly for the meeting."

Davison's mention of Hearn taking a 75% stake for £1 would be contested by the veteran sports promoter. Hearn's stated plan is for Matchroom to take 51% for £255,000, with the rest split between commercial partners (24%) and players (25%).

So Mr Davison is not attending, meaning that players will not have the opportunity to ask questions, not to mention to get answers ... great! and maybe convenient, especially if the answers don't exist? :chin:

Postby Witz78

This is just the latest scam from 110sport/ Davison. This rival bid has been in the pipeline for months but they have deliberatly held it off until the last minute to cause confusion and see exactly what Hearns final position was so they could pip his offer and fool players into voting against him.

The real reason they arent attending is that they dont have answers as the 10 rankers are mythical and they know Hearn would expose their botched attempt to overthrow him for what it is. But they put their spin on this to make Hearn look like the bad guy when if they were really genuine about whats best for snooker they would have made their bid public months ago.

Postby Roland

They don't want the best for snooker, that's blindingly obvious. Hearn would've shown them up and they are running scared. Chickens is the term I believe.

Postby Casey

Extremely disappointed he won’t be attending. If he could have answered some vital questions his plans would have the potential to be strong.

However I don’t see how the players can take the risk of voting against Hearn at the hope of what Davison says is visible.

Postby Roland

Well in all honesty it just about sums up his bid. He was wanting to hijack Hearn's meeting and wait until the last minute to trump what he knew Hearn would be offering then expected to be able to be voted in on the same evening whilst handing out 5 grand to all the players so they could buy him a drink afterwards.

Hearn is too smart to be walked over like that. Hopefully the meeting will have a big attendance and Hearn will steal the show and reaffirm the confidence in him everyone had until last week with the disruption power games bid.

Postby Witz78

http://www.sportinglife.com/snooker/wor ... ooker.html

"The likes of Stephen Hendry, Ding Junhui and Peter Ebdon, who are all managed by 110Sport, have pledged their support for Davison. However, Hearn has generated a lot of goodwill among many players impressed by his vision and his decades of experience.

Doyle has claimed Hearn has "ignored" his thoughts on the way forward for snooker.

"With him, there is no guarantee in the future that anyone else will be listened to, particularly the players," said Doyle.

Doyle stressed that 110Sport are "not involved" with the Davison bid, which is expected to go to a vote at a future EGM if Hearn's proposal is turned down by the players.

Doyle said: "All of my clients will make up their own minds about how to vote on Wednesday. However, if any of my clients have asked for advice ahead of this EGM, I have said categorically to go with John Davison.""

Postby Tubberlad

There are three sports I am passionate about: Snooker, Horseracing & Gaelic Football/Hurling. Of the three, my favourite has always been snooker. However, it is also the most underachieving, and politically wrangled. Horseracing pulls in massive crowds day after day, and Cheltenham brings people from all corners of society together to follow a sport they otherwise don't follow. Gaelic Games captures an entire nation, with clubs run by ordinary folk who all love the game (99%). Snooker has declined year upon year, and has not lived up to it's potential. This year was the first time in my following that their was a sense of a new dawn, and a genuine uprise in interest. However, it's now being challenged by people that I honestly feel do not have snooker's best interests at heart: they're more interested in getting one up on Hearn. And that's sad. If these people, who I have seen first hand to be lacking in any respect for fans end up in charge of the game I love, I don't know if I want to see what they'll do.

Postby Roland

I would guess some of them are the guests reading this very topic tubber.

Two polls I have seen have the following results:

Hearn - 133 (77%)
Davison - 33 (19%)
none/don't care 5 (4%)

which was snookerscene blog

and

Hearn - 77%
Davison - 23%

TheSnookerForum

so it's pretty obvious what the fans think.

Postby Tubberlad

Yup, it's clear what the fans want. I'm not a Hearn puppet, I just see his record, success in improving similar sports & his overall more measured offer. It's something for everyone: keep the purists, bring in new fans. Which is EXACTLY what's needed.

Postby Roland

At the end of the day (much as that's a cliche) what happened is Hearn was begged to come into snooker to "save" it, so he stepped in, got sponsors immediately then plugged loads of money into it then developed a much much fuller calendar that he inherited with more to come and that's that. Vote against him at your peril. Why would you want to vote against him? He has Steve Davis in his corner - is anyone in snooker more respected or loves the game as much?

This forum was set up because I love snooker and will always be a fan. The best person to lead snooker is someone who loves the game. Who is John Davison? An Olympic shooter with a load of money. Great.

I should also add that I didn't come into setting up my website for political reasons but having set up this website and with the plans I have for the future I suddenly feel very passionately about what is right and what is wrong for the game I love.

Postby Tubberlad

I love this game, more than any other sport. Hearn is passionate about the game. I am part of this forum because I love the game. I want what's best for it, I hate it's political wranglings. As you have said, we have already seen results. Sponsorship, more tournaments, more variety. I wasn't convinced of Hearn, but I am now. For the first time, I have seen improvements and a genuine newfound buzz. If this vote does not go his way, I fear for the game. And yes, Davis along with Clive Everton command more respect than anyone, and hold the greatest knowledge. And we know who they're backing.

Postby Wildey

whats scary the political wrangling are the players doing because they own the sport..

if i was a player id want to maximize it potential and having players voting is a bit like asking a turkey do you want stuffing up your ass.

that needs to stop and sharpish.

Postby Tubberlad

wildJONESEYE wrote:whats scary the political wrangling are the players doing because they own the sport..

if i was a player id want to maximize it potential and having players voting is a bit like asking a turkey do you want stuffing up your ass.

that needs to stop and sharpish.

Poetic as ever Wild <laugh> but to be fair, you're spot on <ok>

Postby Wildey

player at no 1 in the rankings will vote differently than player rank 60 it does not matter about the sport and the benefit they could have but its about self preservation if that 60 rank player reaches no 1 before the next vote he would vote and think differently.

that can never be right.

Postby Witz78

well said Tubber and Sonny,

particularly the bit about the choice between an Olympic shooter with money who no-one knows anything about, other than hes clearly a 110 sport puppet OR Hearn who loves the game, is a proven winner in promoting sport and has Mr.Snooker Steve Davis's right hand man beside him to ensure the gap between the boardroom and the practice tables is bridged. Makes a mockery of Doyle and co who suggest the players will have no say in the future under Hearn, do they really believe Davis would let Hearn do as he pleases and kill off snooker as we know it? The traditional tournaments are not under threat, Hearn has made this clear but he (and most fans) recognise changes to the product were required to make it more friendly to a wider market.

Ive always been interested in the off table and political side of snooker, but none moreso than now. It really is the ultimate D-Day tomorrow i feel.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Ive always been interested in the off table and political side of snooker,

don't i know it rofl

god we had some ding dongs arguments over the years and more about politics than the game itself but on this we united like Siamese twins and that scares the rubbish out of me lol

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:
Sonny wrote:That's not as scary as me being onside with the ferret :redneck:

Next thing me and Moondan will be teaming up as bridge partners

what holding up a fly over on the M25 lol

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Ive always been interested in the off table and political side of snooker,

don't i know it rofl

god we had some ding dongs arguments over the years and more about politics than the game itself but on this we united like Siamese twins and that scares the poo out of me lol

knew you would see sense eventually mate ;)

just need all the stupid players to take the blinkers off tomorrow and do whats right now........ :bowdown:

funny to think back to when Hearn first emerged, the apathy among most was rife, all the traditonalists were up in arms but most have held their hands up since Hearns came in, and whilst maybe not fully in agreement with all his ideas, realise hes the best bet and he does have snookers best long term interests at heart, plus has the ruthless streak in him to make things happen and progress things.

Think Moondan the old buffoon is the exception to the rule, everyone elses opinion towards Hearn has changed sliightly at the very least.

Postby Witz78

Its a shocking state of affairs the way the 110 gang have set out to stab Hearn in the back and even more shocking that so many players view a 5k cheque and their own self preservation within the elite 64 as being more important than voting through Hearns revolution of the game which would give them the chance to be part of a thriving sport again.

Its a depressing thought, what will happen if Hearn is kicked out of power and these numpties get back on the board again, truly will be back to the darkest days of the Walker era - dont be fooled by the false promises, 10 rankers etc . The only difference is this time Hearn wont be coming back to save snooker.

Hes done this once and now this is how he is rewarded, these players are scoring the ultimate own goal if they act as puppets for 110 sport tomorrow.

Postby gallantrabbit

Witz wrote superbly on this issue on my 606 thread today. The only thing I don't agree with him on is that I don't want Hearn voted out. We've had a downslide because Altium was voted out and we can't afford for Hearn to now be voted out.
Davison's involvement this time makes me doubt the authenticity of the Altium deal for the first time. His timing has shown him up for what he is.
I think Sonny summed it up too. Hearn is a snooker man and Davison is not.
Also apart from being very concrete plans Hearn is bringing back snooker slowly. You can't just pluck 10 rankers out of the air. Hearn's proposal shows invention or re-invention and even the people who don't like the shoot outs etc will appreciate that we have to have some new product to attract new interest and you have to rebuild slowly, not expect 10 ranking events with sponsors and TV. Davison would never haul that lot up.
I hope the players see the 'offer' for what it is, Hearn is voted in and the revolution can continue.
Up the revolution.

Postby Monique

http://blogs.bettor.com/Future-of-snook ... ded-a11875
Future of snooker to be decided

The future of snooker will be decided tomorrow at an emergency general meeting of the World Professional Snooker and Billiards Association (WPBSA).

The meeting comes after the emergence of a rival bid to Barry Hearn’s proposal for the future governance of the sport and players will vote for who will have the power to run professional snooker.

Hearn was elected WPBSA chairman last year, and has put plans in place to transform snooker. He has already put in place a provisional calendar for next season, which is planned to include 11 televised tournaments and a new Pro Tour consisting of 12 events, which would be open to all 96 players on the circuit. Prize money will increase to a minimum of £4.5million with that figure potentially rising every year.

The counter proposal comes from John Davison. A former Great Britain Olympian in clay target shooting and retired businessman from private equity firm Bridgepoint, Davison plans to introduce 10 ranking tournaments, two invitational events, six Players Tour Events and prize money for next season at £5million, with an increase of £200,000 over the next three years.

As a businessman, Davison boasts strong financial resources and contacts, but no association with snooker in the past. Hearn, however, has a long association with snooker. In 1974 he became chairman of Lucana Snooker Clubs. In 1976, he became the manager of six-time world champion Steve Davis, and in 1982 formed Matchroom Sport, dealing with top players such as Davis, Cliff Thorburn, Dennis Taylor and Terry Griffiths. With the help of these players Hearn promoted snooker in the Far East.

Hearn’s proposals involve him taking a 51% controlling stake in World Snooker and make it its own independent business, with players and other stakeholders owning the other 49%. World Snooker is the commercial arm of the WPBSA, and is responsible for running and administrating snooker’s professional circuit.

Davison’s bid involves him taking a 63% stake, and after an initial 15 years, the rights would go back to the WPBSA to be made available again. It is Hearn’s controlling stake of 51% that has lost the support of some of the players, most notably Peter Ebdon. Now with Davison lodging a rival bid, Ebdon, along with Stephen Hendry and recently Ding Junhui, have backed the new bid.

“For a sport which many would like to write off, to have two bids on the table to take the game forward shows that there is plenty of life in snooker. He has stipulated the time scale he will work within, which for me is more appealing than just handing all of our assets over,” said Hendry.

Davison was part of the Altium bid in 2002 which tried to take over snooker in a similar fashion.

“Having been both a successful athlete and a successful businessman I also really understand the balance that all sports need to achieve between commercial success of a sport and the fact that at the heart of each sport you always have a game that people - grown-ups and children alike - love to play. But what I see in snooker is a game that has a huge heritage, is loved by many people but is in decline. It has failed to overcome the loss of tobacco sponsorship, has declining broadcast and sponsorship revenues and limited international presence,” said Davison.

Three-time world champion Ronnie O’Sullivan is on Hearn’s side. “It's great to see new ideas for the game. Barry is already delivering on his promises and I'm positive that there will be more to come.”

The players have a choice between someone who has had a long association in snooker, and someone with a lot of money but with no involvement in snooker. The other choice could be that neither of the bids will be accepted, and then snooker will be back to square one, but that is unlikely to happen. If Hearn loses this battle, he has said he will resign as chairman and walk away from snooker.

This is one game where the winner takes all.

and

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... ooker.html

THE battle to run snooker reached boiling point yesterday ahead of today's player vote in Sheffield.

WPBSA chairman Barry Hearn is furious rival John Davison has promised the 64 voting players £5,000 each should he get the reins.

But former Olympic shooter Davison, 44, has hit back, claiming it would be 'absurd' to see the payment as 'cash for votes'.

The latest political war to split the game has seen Ronnie O'Sullivan among those backing Hearn, while Stephen Hendry heads up the Davison supporters.

Promoter Hearn, 61, said: "I have a problem with the £5,000 a man to the top 64 players offer, especially when the integrity of the game has never been more important. I believe it could be against the Association's rules.

"Also, why wouldn't the whole player membership benefit and not just the 64 voting?

"The tactics being employed are not subtle and it brings into question the rest of what they are proposing.

"If I didn't feel so strongly about snooker, I would not be putting myself through 15-hour days for the last six months.

"My message to the players is: If in doubt, go with the man who has the track record."

Davison, who will not attend today's vote, plans to step in with his proposal - which includes 10 ranking events next season - if Hearn is defeated.

He said: "It's absurd for anyone to try and portray the £315,000 we want to pay for our proposed 63 per cent stake as a financial inducement.

"If I am getting something of value, I should pay for it - in this case to the Association.

"Barry did discuss the possibility of joining forces but, ultimately, we were too far apart on vision and style.

"I see our bid as international, stable and corporate.

"Barry's is populist, colourful, loud and about shorter formats and razzmatazz."

A few remarks:

I understand perfectly Barry Hearns frustration after the work he's already done and he is right, if those 5000£ are in payment for the value of the game why distribute it only to those who vote?
John Davison claims his offer is international, well having read it (what is publicly available of it in fact) I don't see anything international in there, at all. Also the decision NOT to come to the EGM, meaning avoiding the players direct questions, doesn't seem rigth to me. It puts the players in an impossible position and if I were in their shoes I would clearly go for the offer that is clearcut and concrete and for the man who does put the cards on the table. But then I'm not voting.

Postby N_Castle07

Firstly Hearn had his 51% take over planned a LONG long time ago. He firstly had to get rid of Walker and once he was chairman he could then propose this. If anyone thinks other wise then they are kidding themselves.

Secondly I don’t believe that Hearn wants the 51% so that he has control over the decisions. Yes it is one of the reasons but mainly it is because he is a business man and a very shrewd business man at that.

But thirdly I believe Hearn is the right man for the job and I do believe he can do an excellent job, better than anyone else. However is this coming at a cost??? YES it is coming at the cost of the commercial rights to snooker forever. I would like to see the game go out to tender every 5 years with a possibility for a 2 year extension. There could be a set tender list and the players could vote for the proposal they want. After the five years (7 years if the players vote for the 2 year extension) new proposals would be drawn up for the players to vote again. The five year period is more reasonable than JD’s 15 years. I know Hearn wouldn’t go for this system because he wants 51% forever (unless his proposal is not successful) but it would be the best option for the future of the games commercial rights.

In a nut shell as a fan I hope Hearn gets voted in today and we can put all of this behind us and focus on next season. However I wouldn’t blame the players backing JD because of the futures commercial rights.