Post a reply

Re: Alternative proposal by John Davison "Mr Altium"

Postby Monique

There are 9 voting players in China and I suppose they are already there or on their way. That's not certain because Mark Selby is one of them and obviously he wanted to hear what Davison had to say before making a decision (according to his blog). He will be disapointed now. Hendry and Ding of course will have left their votes with their manager, Lee Doyle. But what about Ali Carter, Mark Allen f.i? They are 110 players but who backed Hearn earlier.
This vote is critical for snooker yet it seems quite a few players will not be bothered to go there and vote (according to FB); Martin Gould and Stuart Bingham amongst them. It's not clear to me neither wether Michael Holt will be there as yesterday he obviously a trip to hols (but that might be later today of course).
Shame, shame, shame!

PS: there are already pictures of players on the chinese sites but I'm not sure they are from this year. Actually I'm certain some are from the previous years as Joe Perry is on them and he is not supposed to be invited this time unless there has been a last minute change.

Re: Alternative proposal by John Davison "Mr Altium"

Postby Monique

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/ju ... ld-snooker?
Barry Hearn holds off late challenge to take control of snooker
• John Davison fails to win over majority of voters
• 'I'll be giving 100% to bring the game to where it should be'

Clive Everton
The Guardian, Thursday 3 June 2010
Article history

Barry Hearn will take a controlling stake in World Snooker. Photograph: David Levene
Barry Hearn's terms for a controlling stake in professional snooker were approved by 35‑29 votes at a World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association EGM in Sheffield, thereby repelling a late challenge from the venture capitalist John Davison.

WPBSA will now become solely a rules, regulatory and disciplinary body while World Snooker, previously a wholly owned subsidiary, will become an independent company in which Hearn will pay £255,000 for a 51% stake after WPBSA's commercial assets are transferred to it for a nominal £1. WPBSA will take a 25% holding on behalf of the players, with the remaining 24% to be distributed to commercial partners.

After Sir Rodney Walker and two other board members were removed at last December's WPBSA AGM, Hearn was invited to become chairman and present his blueprint for the future, a future that is under threat from a paucity of sponsors, loss of profile and match-fixing allegations.

Immediately, Hearn obtained last-minute sponsors for the Masters and the Welsh Open, sold WPBSA's first event to Sky for eight years and brought in the former detective chief superintendent Dave Douglas to set up a new anti-corruption unit. Like Hearn, Douglas would have resigned if yesterday's vote had produced a different outcome. "I'm not underestimating the challenge that lies ahead," Hearn said. "I owe the game a lot and I'll be giving 100% every day to bring the game to where it should be operating."

Hearn's detailed plans for the future were circulated to players more than two months ago, together with a full tournament calendar, while Davison's counter offer of £315,000 for 63% of World Snooker emerged only late last week.

Davison, who was persuaded to bid by Lee Doyle, chairman of 110 Sport, which represents 11 players with voting rights, controversially offered that this £315,000 would be payable to the top 64 players as "an immediate dividend on acquisition".

In the frantic hunt for proxies some players found this attractive; others voted against Hearn because his wide-ranging plan, included a revision of the ranking system – whereby the list is updated, as in golf and tennis, after each tournament rather than annually, a system which some players with rankings to protect wanted to retain.

bold added by me. Clive always has the art of saying things ... <cool>