Post a reply

No more Shanghai Masters?

Postby SnookerFan

World Snooker is currently in discussions with two different promoters in China about the ranking event to be staged from September 18 to 24.

The tournament, televised on CCTV, will either be the Shanghai Masters or the World Open in Yushan. Both proposals from promoters, currently under discussion, are based on a flat draw of 128 players. As ever, our intention is to secure the best outcome for our players and fans.

This is the current position and we will confirm the location once discussions are complete. We will also then be in position to confirm the prize money breakdown for the whole 2017/18 season.

The qualifying round for this ranking event will take place at the Guild Hall in Preston on August 6 to 9.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/china-ranki ... september/

Re: No more Shanghai Masters?

Postby Cloud Strife

Well the Shanghai Masters has thus far resisted any attempts to turn it into a 128 flat draw event like all the others. I wonder if this is what it's all about. Hearn trying to strong-arm the organizers into going along his wishes.

Regardless, it would be a shame to see this event go. For me, I always saw the Shanghai Masters as the proper start of a new snooker season.