Post a reply

Re: 2016/2017 World Snooker List of Events

Postby Cloud Strife

So the Grand Prix and Players Championship will definitely be happening next season?

Also, great to see the Indian Open return. Hopefully, the same for Australia.

Postby fridge46

Cloud Strife wrote:So the Grand Prix and Players Championship will definitely be happening next season?

This is the poster outside the crucible with the dates (credit to Matt from PSB)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgKWGUuWwAAw0U0.jpg:large

At the bottom is says:

"We will again continue to host the following events. Dates for these will be announced in due course
- Snooker Shoot Out
- World Grand Prix
- Players Championship"

I suspect WGP and PC will be will be in the 2 week gap between Gibraltar and "Potential Event" and the Shoot Out will probably be between the German Masters and Welsh Open

Postby thecueview

I'm trying to find out what the qualifying criteria's for both the WGP and Players Championship will be for next season.

I presume the WGP will be the same, but with no European Tour series now, who will qualify for the PC?

I think they should rename the PC the Home Series Finals (or bring back the British Open in Plymouth :-) ) for example, and draw up a list of points /prize money from the English / Irish / Scottish and Welsh Opens instead.

It will give the event its own identity perhaps?

Postby fridge46

From what I have heard (nothing confirmed from what I can see), is that qualification for the Players Championship will be based on the money list starting from the Riga Open (first event of the season) to the World Grand Prix (final event before PC) and only 16 players will qualify.

WGP will probably stay the same (money from Riga to Gibraltar)

Postby kolompar

Now they managed to get rid of the Australian by scheduling it so most of the top players will miss it, they are doing the same to the Indian and that new Chinese ranker. Even in August there's only a week of snooker but those two had to start in May.
Of course, there was place for the all-important Home Series and the Championship League in the middle of the season <doh>

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

thecueview wrote:I have done a small piece on my website regarding the list...

http://www.thecueview.com/2016-2017-wor ... vents.html

Are you any relation of Ryan Day?

kolompar wrote:Of course, there was place for the all-important Home Series and the Championship League in the middle of the season <doh>

The Home Series events are fine but the Championshit League is a joke at this stage with the amount of space it takes up. The darts event was dropped several years ago and if it continues stick it on in May where it least it might benefit from the increased interest in Snooker after the Worlds.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Having qualifiers for most the non-British events eats up a lot time. If it and the CL were sorted out you would be able to run the whole season comfortably in nine months. The China Open is still held at the worst time considering it's location. The Masters could move now as well as it always began the day the BDO Darts ended but it's now being dropped by BBC so the schedule might change.

Postby fridge46

Barry says there will be 18 Ranking events next season

http://www.worldsnooker.com/announcemen ... rry-hearn/

but on the poster outside the crucible:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgKWGUuWwAAw0U0.jpg:large

theres 19!

1 Riga Open
2 India Open
3 China Championship
4 Paul Hunter Classic
5 Shanghai Masters
6 European Open
7 English Open
8 International Open
9 Irish Open
10 UK Championship
11 Scottish Open
12 German Masters
13 Welsh Open
14 Gibraltar
15 World Grand Prix - to be Scheduled
16 Players Championship - to be Scheduled
17 "Potential Event"
18 China Open
19 World Championship

So which isnt a ranking event? The obvious answer would be "Potential Event", but that has qualifiers - unless it is going to be the Seniors or similar :shrug:

Postby Wildey

fridge46 wrote:From what I have heard (nothing confirmed from what I can see), is that qualification for the Players Championship will be based on the money list starting from the Riga Open (first event of the season) to the World Grand Prix (final event before PC) and only 16 players will qualify.

WGP will probably stay the same (money from Riga to Gibraltar)

Barry Hearn did confirm that during last years Championship

http://www.prosnookerblog.com/2015/04/2 ... r-changes/

“The World Grand Prix, which we started this year with our friends at ITV, will be a ranking event from the 2015/16 season, with the top 32 players from a prize money list beginning at the commencement of the season, so any kid that gets his pro tour card is in with no catch-up time, straight out, level playing field.

“The Players Championship will have the same format for 2015/16 because it comes from the European Tour which will stay as previous for this year. But in 2016/17, to follow the FedEx style event from golf, the Players Championship will follow the World Grand Prix with the top 16 players invited from total prize money won, obviously including the World Grand Prix. And that is on a one-year list.

So Who ever manages to get in the WGP are the only players with a shout of getting in the Players Championship

Postby SteveJJ

What with no ptcs 8-12 more pros will likely fall off the tour as they wont be able to cling on via the order of merits.

Am I right, or can you foresee something replacing those tour qualifying slots? Perhaps the best performing players not already qualified players across the home series?

If not they will also have more top up players to find as well as more pros falling off the tour.

Postby Dannyboy

Think this is good balance - the purpose of the PTC/European Tour events is to get players playing. It was always difficult to get 200 players to a European venue and 136 of those going home empty handed and significantly out of pocket. I'm hoping that in the not too distant future, a Challenge Tour series will be announced so these amateurs have a chance of qualifying for next season, rather than entering the lottery of QSchool each May.

Think its a bit disappointing that the number of countries events are being held in are being reduced, just after a multi million Euro, 10-year Eurosport deal. There are potentially 20 countries that a snooker tournament could be held in and be commercially successful.

Think the problem with Australia was that the winner only took home something like £35,000 for the winner based on exchange rates at the time. I appreciate a lot of these tournaments are paid for by local promoters (according to the last accounts, only about half the prize money is routed through the WPBSA), but I think every effort should be made to pay players in GBP.

I think World Snooker need to get a bit more imagination with the tournament names - International Open and China Championship?

Postby 151kbar151

English open, Scottish open, Welsh open, (Northern) Irish open, so what about Irish open?
BTW I think it would be much better to do Irish open in Ireland, with that Irish open in Northern Ireland being called Northern Ireland Trophy again.
Hearn must be very proud of his Championship League nonsense, becuase it is still on the calendar. <doh>

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:I think CL is one of the better tournaments for money earned v money spent. Probably why it's still around.

yea but it adds nothing to the sport i think still having it cheapens the tour a bit TBH

Postby PoolBoy

OoNebsoO wrote:It is still much too early to know what kind of draw would be for most of these events, and are they best-of-seven or best-of-nine or best-of-11, etc?

I don't know, but I see on Snooker.org's Calendar for next season that of the (so far) 17 events that carry ranking points, 14 of them are classed as 'rankers', with 3 being termed 'minor- ranking' (like the former PTC's).

Perhaps those 'minor' events will be best-of-7 all the way through, with the 'proper' rankers being at least best-of-9 in the early rounds. But, just guessing! http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?se ... template=2

What a busy season ahead though! The players are back at the end of THIS month!
I count Q-School as the start of the new season, rather than the end of this one - with the World Championship being the culmination of the campaign - so the new 2016/17 season starts a-week-tomorrow! :-D

Postby Morinas77

PoolBoy wrote:
OoNebsoO wrote:It is still much too early to know what kind of draw would be for most of these events, and are they best-of-seven or best-of-nine or best-of-11, etc?

I don't know, but I see on Snooker.org's Calendar for next season that of the (so far) 17 events that carry ranking points, 14 of them are classed as 'rankers', with 3 being termed 'minor- ranking' (like the former PTC's).

Perhaps those 'minor' events will be best-of-7 all the way through, with the 'proper' rankers being at least best-of-9 in the early rounds. But, just guessing! http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?se ... template=2

What a busy season ahead though! The players are back at the end of THIS month!
I count Q-School as the start of the new season, rather than the end of this one - with the World Championship being the culmination of the campaign - so the new 2016/17 season starts a-week-tomorrow! :-D

Riga will have at least b-o-9 semis and final (without interval).

I think the Home Series will be full of best of sevens in early rounds.

Postby whitespider

Clara8633 wrote:What happened to the International Championship - has the name been altered?

Looks that way, though the venue is TBC also. So could actually be a completely separate tournament.

Hearn talks about history and that's very important but it's difficult to build history of an event if you keep changing the name. For no obvious reason.

Out of all the Asian events the ones with the most history are the Shanghai Masters and the China Open. Because they have stayed relatively stable over the last 5-10 years.

Postby fridge46

Looks like the new "China Championship" has been renamed "World Open", as listed under calendar on livescores.worldsnookerdata.com

EDIT: Just seen a tweet from Jason Ferguson that there will be amateurs at PHC and Gibraltar - and there will be a OOM.