Post a reply

World Championship Reform Proposal

Postby AC or LT?

I hereby propose that the world championship should be played over 3 weeks as a 128 player knock-out tournament, with the seeding be 1 to 64 v 65 v 128.

The first round (Last 128) should be a 17 frame match played over two sessions, 9, 8
The second round (Last 64) should be a 19 frame match played over two sessions 10, 9
The third round (Last 32) should be a 25 frame match played over three sessions 8, 8, 9
The fourth round (Last 16) should be a 33 frame match played over three sessions, 11, 11, 11
The quarter finals should be a 43 frame match played over four sessions, 10, 10, 10, 13
The semi finals should be a 55 frame match played over five sessions 11, 11, 11, 11, 11
The finals should be a 69 frame match played over six sessions, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11, 14,
Their should also be a third place play off of 55 frames played over five sessions 11, 11, 11, 11, 11

Re: World Championship Reform Proposal

Postby Andy Spark

They tried third place play offs before and abandoned it as a bad idea. Once you lose in the semi-final then you have no motivation to play another match, never mind a best of 55 and there is no market for a "losers match".

Also I've come to the conclusion that many of the problems that the longer formats tackle are things that could be tackled from a different angle by just tightening up the pockets. It stands to reason that the fewer average scoring visits it takes for a top player to win the frame then the less luck is involved per frame, (for example there is less likelihood of a frame being lost based on a single piece of misfortune). However, I believe longer formats should be encouraged for the other majors, not the World Championship which is contested over many more frames than the other majors already.

Postby Skullman

In regards to luck, surely it would be the opposite? A fluke is more significant if a frame winning break is made from it, rather than a 10 break.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Best of 55 frames third place play off rofl

There are 2 options here:

1) This is supposed to be a joke or a troll attempt
2) You don't have a clue about how the world works / you're stupid

I think option 2 is the correct one <ok> rofl

Postby Andy Spark

Skullman wrote:In regards to luck, surely it would be the opposite? A fluke is more significant if a frame winning break is made from it, rather than a 10 break.

Yes, absolutely, if the pockets are harder then a fluke would be less likely to be the decisive moment in the frame.

While I'm on the subject, the pockets are far too big on club tables too. >-( I'm no pro, I can't make a century, but I can play a little and don't need to be patronised! I always try to find the tightest pockets but they are still too big for my liking, you can play acute angles to the middle you never should be able to play. IMO the less accurate potters that want to play on normal club pocket sized tables should play pool not snooker. That's what pool is for, people that aren't good enough to play snooker. <ok>

Postby gcjdavid

Ronnie complained in his second book that it is too tiring, even at the start of the semis.

So AC/LT, I wonder if you're trolling or don't know others' feelings. Why not you try playing best of 55 frame third place match after you lost in the semis?

Postby The Cueist

Ac you are funny you aint you!!!!!!!! J!!!!!!!!!
How long will this new reformed world championship take to complete?

Ebdon would probably win 10 of these and drink 5 tonnes of water per championship and bet through 5 cue balls where they would be worn away by the frequency of his requests to the ref to have tge white cleaned.

You are creasing me up , You are a mentalist .Rofl

Postby vodkadiet

I think the World Championship structure should be thus:

1st round: Best of 25(8/8/9)
2nd round: Best of 25(8/8/9
3rd round: Best of 25(8,8,9)
4th round: Best of 25(8,8,9)
Qrts: Best of 25(8,8,9)
Semis: Best of 25(8,8,9)
Final: Best of 25(8,8,9)

In Grand Slam tennis(128)matches are played over 5 sets for all rounds. The length of matches don't change, so why is it in snooker they have to constantly change the format each round. the format is outdated.

I also think the snooker is a winter sport and the whole tournament should be played in February. It should certainly finish before the Vernal Equinox.