Post a reply

PTCs are Pointless Now

Postby AC or LT?

PTCS were introduced as allowing amateur players a way to compete with the pros for a chance at getting on tour and as an opportunity aside from Q School/Amateur tournaments to gain your card,

Of the 8 players to qualify via the EPTC order of merit list 8 are pros who would have dropped off the tour.

(Scott Donaldson, Sam Baird, Michael Wasley, Ian Burns, Barry Pinches, Joel Walker, Tony Drago, David Grace)

Re: PTCs are Pointless Now

Postby Roland

But they would be amateurs if the system didn't allow them to regain their tour status, and if they dropped off in favour of those amateurs at the time who finished lower down the list than they did, how fair is that?

Postby Skullman

PTC had many purposes.

Get players playing more (still works)

Give Europe live snooker (still works)

Give European amateurs more experience in a pro environment (still works)

Postby Wildey

AC or LT? wrote:PTCS were introduced as allowing amateur players a way to compete with the pros for a chance at getting on tour and as an opportunity aside from Q School/Amateur tournaments to gain your card,

Of the 8 players to qualify via the EPTC order of merit list 8 are pros who would have dropped off the tour.

(Scott Donaldson, Sam Baird, Michael Wasley, Ian Burns, Barry Pinches, Joel Walker, Tony Drago, David Grace)

No the PTC were introduced as a way to get Pro players playing snooker instead of being part time players giving opportunities to amateur players was a Bonus.

Running along side the PTC's are the Amateur Cup which this season like last season got 3 Amateur players on the Main Tour.

Postby AC or LT?

Is the best solution, if we're talking about getting pro-players playing more not just to make all rankers 128 at venue and hold an amateur cup at the same time and venue, using a ranking list from the amateur events to fill missing tour places?

Postby vodkadiet

I agree with AC OR LT, these PTC'S are pointless. The greatest player of all time described them as "a results factory". That is very much what they are. They suit players who cannot play in the full glare of the public eye.

Postby Skullman

Considering that all of them are in front of busy crowds, especially by finals day, it's hard to say that it's for players who can't play in front of people.

Really only the qualifiers in Barnsley left for that until Hearn decides to take 128 to every venue.

Postby Andre147

PTCs aren't pointless in my view, they often are a catalyst to get a full ranking event in an European country, Belgium for instance may have a full ranking event soon because the PTC there has worked very well so far.

I agree a player would rather win a full ranking event than 5 PTCs, but it is what it is and I think they don't do the game any harm. The ones they were completly pointless were the British ones, but WS has gladly got rid of those.

Postby Tamctus

As long as there are good crowds in the events, they aren't pointless. For some players they might feel one way or another pointless but for as fans living in continental Europe they are the best way of getting to see the best of the game live. If I for instance ever get to go to a snooker tournament it will most probably be a german/latvian PTC (or the WC if I had extra money lying around).