Post a reply

Re: Barry Hearns Statement Discussion

Postby fridge46

World Snookers release.

One thing that is confusing me: Point 1 says there are 120 players in the "Players Tour". I am assuming this refers to the European and Asian Tours (formally PTC's), but I never knew they were capped at 120.

120 playing fields is also mentioned in point 2. Have I missed something?

Postby Skullman

It's to allow at least 8 amateurs spots in the last 128 of each ET and AT and allow some local amateurs to have a chance in a pro event

Postby fridge46

Skullman wrote:It's to allow at least 8 amateurs spots in the last 128 of each ET and AT and allow some local amateurs to have a chance in a pro event

From what I remember last year... there would be no amateur spots if 128+ players entered ET/AT events.

EDIT: See ET1 Entry Pack stating the above (Page 2, "Round Structure and Seedings").

What happens if more than 120 enter? The lower ranked (either by the money list, or OOM) have to play in the qualifiers? Or not allowed to enter?

Postby SteveJJ

I personally hope that Dennis gets to the final of all bbc events So we aren't stuck with him commentating!

On a more serious note, which of the retired players do you think will actually be interested in this?

Postby AC or LT?

SteveJJ wrote:I personally hope that Dennis gets to the final of all bbc events So we aren't stuck with him commentating!

On a more serious note, which of the retired players do you think will actually be interested in this?

Hendry, Davis, White, Parrot (if he drops off) will definitely take it

Joe Johnson, Dennis Taylor and Ray Reardon may all turn up for the laugh.

Postby Wildey

AC or LT? wrote:Can someone clear something up, will the 128 player qualifying stage at next years worlds be "traditional qualifying" (i.e this year) or 128 down to L16?

Next years World Qualifying

Round 1 Players 17 to 80 v 81 to 144
Round 2 64 players playing each other
Round 3 32 players playing each other
Last 32 Crucible Players 1 to 16 v Qualifiers same as this year

Basically if Mark Williams, Graeme Dott or Peter Ebdon doesent get back to the top 16 they will have to play 3 qualifying match next year and not 1 match

Postby Wildey

In other Ranking events if the totla of players falls bellow 128 of tour players then there's up to 4 spots eligible to legends that has earned most money over the years so Basically Legend wise Stephen Hendry will get first refusal.

But if there's 128 competing then Stephen Hendry wont get a sniff.

Postby PLtheRef

Wildey wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:Can someone clear something up, will the 128 player qualifying stage at next years worlds be "traditional qualifying" (i.e this year) or 128 down to L16?

Basically if Mark Williams, Graeme Dott or Peter Ebdon doesent get back to the top 16 they will have to play 3 qualifying match next year and not 1 match

I think thats a good idea. Pleased to hear that the 19 frame format will be retained, but it may mean a change in layout or a bigger qualifying venue which can accommodate 16 tables ideally.

As long as crucible format remains the same, then the qualifiers could have gone to 17

Postby fridge46

PLtheRef wrote:
I think thats a good idea. Pleased to hear that the 19 frame format will be retained, but it may mean a change in layout or a bigger qualifying venue which can accommodate 16 tables ideally.

Nah, can still be done using a similar format to this year, which used 11 tables and took 8 days of competition.

Can have a format such as:

Day 1, Morning: R1 (matches 1-11, session 1)
Day 1, Afternoon: R1 (matches 12-21, session 1)
Day 1, Evening: R1 (matches 1-11, session 2)

Day 2, Morning: R1 (matches 22-32, session 1)
Day 2, Afternoon: R1 (matches 12-21, session 2)
Day 2, Evening: R1 (matches 22-32, session 2)

Day 3, Morning: R1 (matches 33-43, session 1)
Day 3, Afternoon: R1 (matches 44-53, session 1)
Day 3, Evening: R1 (matches 33-43, session 2)

Day 4, Morning: R1 (matches 54-64, session 1)
Day 4, Afternoon: R1 (matches 44-53, session 2)
Day 4, Evening: R1 (matches 54-64, session 2)

Day 5, Morning: R2 (matches 1-11, session 1)
Day 5, Afternoon: R2 (matches 12-21, session 1)
Day 5, Evening: R2 (matches 1-11, session 2)

Day 6, Morning: R2 (matches 22-32, session 1)
Day 6, Afternoon: R2 (matches 12-21, session 2)
Day 6, Evening: R2 (matches 22-32, session 2)

Day 7: No play

Day 8, Morning: R3 (matches 1-8, session 1)
Day 8, Afternoon: R3 (matches 1-8, session 2)

Day 9, Morning: R3 (matches 9-16, session 1)
Day 9, Afternoon: R3 (matches 9-16, session 2)

Will just mean some players will have a 3 day gap between playing their R1 match and R2 match.

Postby fridge46

Wildey wrote:

I hope it will be seeded such as:

Round 2 17-48 v 49-80
Round 3 17-32 v 33-48

Postby PLtheRef

fridge46 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

I hope it will be seeded such as:

Round 2 17-48 v 49-80
Round 3 17-32 v 33-48

The top 64 involved so 17-80 will be seeded with the remaining 64 randomly drawn

Postby fridge46

PLtheRef wrote:
The top 64 involved so 17-80 will be seeded with the remaining 64 randomly drawn

I meant for the subsequent rounds. I do not want a situation where Round 2 and Round 3 are paired randomly. Last thing I want to see is seed 17 and 18 drawn against each other in Round 2.

I am still annoyed that in the tier system, the Last 64 is drawn randomly. There was a case in this years world championship qualifiers where seeds 33 and 41 faced each other, whilst 58 and 62 played each other. It meant that a lower seed could progress further than a higher seed. It should have been set up such as seeds 33-48 should have been drawn to avoid each other.

Postby Wildey

fridge46 wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:

I meant for the subsequent rounds. I do not want a situation where Round 2 and Round 3 are paired randomly. Last thing I want to see is seed 17 and 18 drawn against each other in Round 2.

I am still annoyed that in the tier system, the Last 64 is drawn randomly. There was a case in this years world championship qualifiers where seeds 33 and 41 faced each other, whilst 58 and 62 played each other. It meant that a lower seed could progress further than a higher seed. It should have been set up such as seeds 33-48 should have been drawn to avoid each other.

No it will be on seeded basis

17 to 80 will be seeded appropriately and then 81 to 144 would be random

but Seeds 17 to 32 cant play each other unless they reach the last 16 at the crucible

Postby Wildey

But Regarding Hendry he could have played in this years World Championship if he wanted because he is still technically a Tour player.

Postby SnookerFan

SteveJJ wrote:I personally hope that Dennis gets to the final of all bbc events So we aren't stuck with him commentating!

Steve Davis. Now he's dropped off the tour, he'll play any way he can. You'd have to kill Davis to stop him playing.

Hendry won't be fussed.

A few of the old codgers will probably be interested in turning up and giving it a go. Didn't John Parrott try to qualify a season or two after he retired? None of them will get anywhere.

Postby SnookerFan

Looking at this a different way, are they any people who are older fringe players who may retire now they've made qualifying even harder for them.

Might somebody like Doherty decide this year's run is a decent last stand?

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Hendry is the only former champion not on the tour who has a chance of qualifying and even for him it will be very very tough, if he chooses to enter of course.

ill be surprise if hendry was interested TBH

http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2 ... for-return

i for one hope he doesn't accept any invite its the past just move on with younger players however i think out of all the former non tour World Champions and i include Davis... if he practices and take it serious he is the most likely to get back to the Crucible. But it wont be easy

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Hendry is the only former champion not on the tour who has a chance of qualifying and even for him it will be very very tough, if he chooses to enter of course.

ill be surprise if hendry was interested TBH

http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2 ... for-return

i for one hope he doesn't accept any invite its the past just move on with younger players however i think out of all the former non tour World Champions and i include Davis... if he practices and take it serious he is the most likely to get back to the Crucible. But it wont be easy

That's exactly what I wrote in the quote above <laugh>

Postby Roland

The whole thing can be heard here

https://soundcloud.com/moniquelimbos/wc ... r230414mp3

I put it to Hearn on twitter that those ranked 17-32 should be seeded so that one appears per group with 16 groups in all instead of random draw. In typical style he replied: "We have got it right as it is"

:shrug:

Postby fridge46

Sonny wrote:The whole thing can be heard here

I put it to Hearn on twitter that those ranked 17-32 should be seeded so that one appears per group with 16 groups in all instead of random draw. In typical style he replied: "We have got it right as it is"

It bloody better not be random, would defy the whole point of having rankings otherwise.

Postby Wildey

of course its seeded

Postby Roco

I agree that any former winners should have the opportuity to come back and complete at the world championships, even if it means additional rounds.

I would also go one step further and say that previous winners of other events such as UK and Masters should be able to compete in those events.

While we are on the subject - China to build a replica of the cruicible in attempt to snatch the world championship from Sheffield? I like the idea of another Crucible, but lets be real, any other Crucible would simply not carry the history and nostalgia.

Why doesn't China just create their own version of the world championships with the same format and hold it in September or something.

Postby Roco

fridge46 wrote:

It bloody better not be random, would defy the whole point of having rankings otherwise.

Some tournaments should include a random element but not the world championships. Your world ranking should be preserved for that event to give you a slight advantage.

Postby Wildey

Stephen Hendry, Steve Davis and James Wattana will be the 3 players that will recieve invitations to Ranking events as top up players in that order. Judging by this season where Sanderson Lam played in 10 Ranking events as a top up player there will be invitations for Stephen Hendry at least personally i cant see him entering very much

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 73,00.html

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

sundaygirl wrote:I would have liked to see 10x Ladies Champion Reanne Evans get the Jimmy card since he doesn't need it yet, rather than Wattana.

I'd rather see Reanne get it than Hendry who only just retired last year.