Post a reply

Re: Rankings thread

Postby GJ

Selty and Drago both moved up 4 places today and both continue to have a good season

Postby Bourne

Cheesyman99 wrote:
Bourne wrote:Bump.

Haven't you got homework to do, bro ?

Postby Rocket_ron

Bourne wrote:
Cheesyman99 wrote:

yes his sport teacher set him the assignment of reporting on his favourite sport.

top marks ched A+

Postby Cheesyman99

Bourne wrote:
Cheesyman99 wrote:

yes, but i'll find some other time to do it

Postby GJ

updated <cool>

Postby Witz78

Was thinking earlier about the likes of Ebdon, Cope, Wenbo, King etc fighting it out for the top 16 then realised its hardly that critical now who finishes where, as assuming Hearns proposals get voted in, then no-one will be tied to a certain ranking place for all of next season anyway!

Postby Roland

:bump:

new smiley

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:Was thinking earlier about the likes of Ebdon, Cope, Wenbo, King etc fighting it out for the top 16 then realised its hardly that critical now who finishes where, as assuming Hearns proposals get voted in, then no-one will be tied to a certain ranking place for all of next season anyway!

I am assuming though if you finish in the top 16 this year you don't have to qualify for the first ranking event next season?

Postby Casey

Also what will happen when applying for tickets next year? Nobody will know who will be ranked where come tournament time so booking tickets in advance would mean you could get anyone?

If the new system came in it would mean Shaun Murphy would have to qualify for the WC :?

Postby Alex0paul

case_master wc wrote:Also what will happen when applying for tickets next year? Nobody will know who will be ranked where come tournament time so booking tickets in advance would mean you could get anyone?

If the new system came in it would mean Shaun Murphy would have to qualify for the WC :?

Thats why I don't like the idea of rolling rankings.

(The first bit not the second <cool> )

Postby Witz78

case_master wc wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Was thinking earlier about the likes of Ebdon, Cope, Wenbo, King etc fighting it out for the top 16 then realised its hardly that critical now who finishes where, as assuming Hearns proposals get voted in, then no-one will be tied to a certain ranking place for all of next season anyway!

I am assuming though if you finish in the top 16 this year you don't have to qualify for the first ranking event next season?

yes thatd be correct. Its hard to say how they will implement the new rankings quickly and fairly, bound to be a slight transitional phase

Postby Roland

Rolling rankings has to be the way forward, and everyone must know in advance the date at which the snapshot is used for top 16 Crucible spots. It will add something extra to the preceding couple of ranking events.

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
case_master wc wrote:

yes thatd be correct. Its hard to say how they will implement the new rankings quickly and fairly, bound to be a slight transitional phase

it will be a lot of pressure on the players, this time around they had 14 ranking events to sort out their ranking. Next season it will be down to 7.

So do I have it right, say Ronnie loses in round 1 of the SM's he will obviously not be in the top 16 for the World Open...would he have to qualify?

Postby Witz78

case_master wc wrote:Also what will happen when applying for tickets next year? Nobody will know who will be ranked where come tournament time so booking tickets in advance would mean you could get anyone?

Case,

Ive heard this argument before from people who arent keen on rolling rankings, but its a selfish attitude from fans who are only interested in watching certain players. Its boring knowing a year in advance what games should be at the World Championship. Constant excitment of fresh rankings after each tournament will spice up the game instead of the stale set up at present.

Plus if anything this new ranking system will ensure the top players are at the top of the rankings, as they will enter the top 16 when they deserve to (likes of Cope and Wenbo would have done a while ago) then they would have the chance to kick on and establish themselves.

Regarding Murphy, yes hes out og the top 16 on the one year rankings, but the rolling rankings is somewhere in between the 2 year rankings and the 1 year rankings list we currently have, so Murphy would still be in the top 16 but instead of the current situation where his ranking is fixed and secure all season, he would see himself slowly starting to slide down the rankings and would surely get the finger out earlier and start winning, rather than knowing under this system he has countless get out of jail opportunities in the future tournaments to preserve his ranking.

Postby Casey

I was only making a point about the tickets I wouldn't be particularly bothered about not knowing which players it would be.

Postby Witz78

case_master wc wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
case_master wc wrote:

it will be a lot of pressure on the players, this time around they had 14 ranking events to sort out their ranking. Next season it will be down to 7.

So do I have it right, say Ronnie loses in round 1 of the SM's he will obviously not be in the top 16 for the World Open...would he have to qualify?

As i said earlier, the new rankings wont just kick in straight away next season with everyone starting on a clean slate. Current rankings will have to be taken into consideration etc whilst the new ranking format is phased in.

As for the 7 tournaments, your mistaken of thinking that rolling rankings means only rankings for 1 season can be used. Ideally if we have enough tournaments then rolling rankings for ther last 12 month period would be the way to do it like they do in tennis and golf.

Itll most be being based on the Order of Merit (players earnings) as Hearn stated and id reckon it may be that a rolling 2 year ranking is used, similar to the PDC darts

Postby Roland

Yeah the one about not knowing when booking tickets is the usual counter to any talk of rolling rankings but I think it's a lame excuse too, especially as most venues are empty anyway and the various snapshots can be worked out in advance enough of ticket sales. I too hate knowing who will be playing exactly when over a year before the event happens. I knew Williams, Selby, Hendry and Ronnie were all in the same quarter nearly a year ago. It definitely takes the fun out of it. Also imagine if you knew you'd face Ronnie in round 2 for almost a full year - not the best thing to be playing on your mind throughout the season.

Rolling rankings gets the big <ok> from me

Postby Wildey

they will have to decide on the rolling ranking so everyone knows where they stand with it so even if thats how they go it cant really come in to operation until the 2011/2012 season at the earliest plus next season like this the world quals will be played before the China Open whitch cant happen with Rolling Rankings.

Postby Alex0paul

Rolling rankings will also devalue being the world number 1 too.

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul wrote:Rolling rankings will also devalue being the world number 1 too.

Being the WN1 as we know it now will change nobody will have a hope of beating hendrys record haul however i think it will give tournaments more value as it stands you know you at the crucible with the rolling rankings you better keep up form or you wont be there.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Rolling rankings will also devalue being the world number 1 too.

Being the WN1 as we know it now will change nobody will have a hope of beating hendrys record haul however i think it will give tournaments more value as it stands you know you at the crucible with the rolling rankings you better keep up form or you wont be there.

Yes your right Wild, this rolling rankings will encourage excellence, not mediocrity as players rankings will instantly suffer if they lose, so everyone will be trying to further their games to ensure they win.

Taking the number 1 spot, if anything it will be enhanced now as you will have to maintain your form continually to remain there rather than being guaranteed the spot for a year.

Take Ronnie being number one for the whole of the 2008/09 and 2009/10 seasons.....yet Higgins has scored more points than him in both seasons and clearly been the better player, yet do you hear the argument that Ronnies number 1 ranking is devalued?

Of course Higgins will get the number 1 spot next season but under the current fixed set up he could lose every match beign whitewashed and not scoring a single point yet would still be the number 1 at the 2011 world championships.

Form should be rewarded when it deserves to be, the rolling rankings will address this once and for all.

Take Federer in tennis and Woods in golf, these guys play in sports where rolling rankings exist and they have reached new heights of excellence to remain at the pinnacle of their sports at number 1 in the rankings. Id hardly say there number 1 rankings are devalued just because they dont hold it for a fixed period of one season/year at a time etc <doh>
Last edited by Witz78 on 31 Mar 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Bourne

Have I missed something btw, is rolling rankings definitely being introduced ?