Post a reply

Prize Money Rankings are here!

Postby Dannyboy

Amongst other announcements made by Uncle Barry Hearn today...

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 33,00.html

World Snooker Chairman Barry Hearn was at the Crucible today to make several announcements about the coming seasons. Hearn announced:

- A change of format for the German Masters and Welsh Open next season. Players ranked 33-96 will play one match, with the winners to face players ranked 1-32 (exact format, in terms of how many players at the venue, is to be confirmed).

- German Masters prize money increased to 300,000 Euros with a top prize of 60,000 Euros. Welsh Open up to £250,000 with the winner to get £50,000.

- European Tour (part of the Players Tour Championship series) events in Belgium, Bulgaria, Poland, two in Germany and one more. Prize money for each increased to 70,000 Euros. Snooker is the most watched sport on Eurosport, with outstanding viewing figures.

- Prize money for PTC Grand Finals increased to £300,000 with a top prize of £100,000.

- Future prize money increases are likely to be given to PTC events as they have the fairest structure. Snooker should be a meritocracy with less protection of the top players. Ability should be the only criteria. The PTC events are also likely to be given more ranking points.

- The two places allocated to Europe in the tour qualifying criteria will be given to the top two players from continental Europe not already qualified. They are Tony Drago and Luca Brecel. They will both be given a tour card for the next two seasons.

- Two years from now, a ranking system based on prize money rather than ranking points will be introduced. For the next two seasons, the money list will run parallel to the points list. The two advantages of the money list will be a) it's easier to understand for the general public b) New players coming on to the tour will have a better chance to climb quickly.

Hard to disagree with much of this IMO.

Re: Prize Money Rankings are here!

Postby Wildey

Prize money rankings are sloppy and useless ill never agree with such a ametarish way of ranking players its neither acurate or fair of who the best players is its totally in hands of sponsors whitch means the winner of the PTC Grand Final has double the points of the welsh open whitch makes a mockery of players being consistant all you have to do is have a Purple Patch at the Right time.

Apart from that everything else Looks good and i welcome them All.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:Prize money rankings are sloppy and useless ill never agree with such a ametarish way of ranking players its neither acurate or fair of who the best players is its totally in hands of sponsors whitch means the winner of the PTC Grand Final has double the points of the welsh open whitch makes a mockery of players being consistant all you have to do is have a Purple Patch at the Right time.

Apart from that everything else Looks good and i welcome them All.

:spot on:

Postby Dannyboy

Players' main motivation is money. Why would a player, playing for £30k try as hard as a tournament that carries £250k?

And it will also convince promoters to up their game and prize money if they want the best players' playing in their tournament.

Postby Wildey

Dannyboy wrote:Players' main motivation is money. Why would a player, playing for £30k try as hard as a tournament that carries £250k?

And it will also convince promoters to up their game and prize money if they want the best players' playing in their tournament.

thats a load of crap...

titles are the motivation if not they should buck off and try Big Brother and get the tabloids to give them cash or try their hand on BGT and get money that way..

im sick to buck of this bullocks if players are money oriantated buck off out of my bucking face and do something else

Postby snooky147

Of course players are money orientated. How else do you expect them to provide for themselves and their families.

Postby Skullman

Wild wrote:
Dannyboy wrote:Players' main motivation is money. Why would a player, playing for £30k try as hard as a tournament that carries £250k?

thats a load of crap...

titles are the motivation if not they should buck off and try Big Brother and get the tabloids to give them cash or try their hand on BGT and get money that way..

im sick to buck of this bullocks if players are money oriantated buck off out of my bucking face and do something else

Two best of nine rankers one which pays 30K, one which pays 70K. Which one would you pick? Money can't be overlooked.

Postby Alex0paul

Wild wrote:

thats a load of crap...

So if the UK Championship had a first prize of £5 and the Alex0paul Trophy had a first prize of £1million but you were only able to enter one which would you enter?

Postby Wildey

snooky147 wrote:Of course players are money orientated. How else do you expect them to provide for themselves and their families.

get a 9 to 5 job

buck me pink a young kid enjoys a sport and see pound signs yes right

seriously i have no bucking time for money hungrey sports stars it should be the titles at all times.

Postby jojo

every man has to earn a living especially if he have a family to feed and im sure the prize money is weighted to reflect the bigger the tournament the more the pize money on offer

why should players get a nine to five job if they love playing snooker ?

Postby jojo

wild with all due respect pal i take it you dont work so what would you know about being the man of the house ? some people have to work for their living not just for themselves but for their families ie wife and kids

you cannot blame a sportsman for being money orientated titles and money go hand in hand anyway the more titles you win the more money you earn i dont know what the problem is you coming out with all the expletives and the like

im sure stephen hendry is more motivated to win the world championship compared to the welsh open and the prize money reflect each tournaments importance so what the fuss all about ?

Postby Wildey

jojo wrote:every man has to earn a living especially if he have a family to feed and im sure the prize money is weighted to reflect the bigger the tournament the more the pize money on offer

why should players get a nine to five job if they love playing snooker ?

money should be the by product of success and not the driving force of someones so called Love of Playing Snooker

i only Love you if you pay me sorry but thats Prostitution.

Postby jojo

no idiot would play snooker for free

you ask roger federer if he would play tennis for free when he got wife and kids and he will tell you up yours

likewise ask tiger woods if he would play golf for free or ronaldo if he would play for real madrid for free they will say kiss my bottom

life isnt that romantic oh i love playing snooker so much and im good at it i tell you what ill do it for a career playing professional snooker for free to hell with all the bills and supporting myself or my family

just because barry hearn is changing the system ie prize money equals ranking points it doesnt mean to say players will play for the money only

as i been saying before each event will have its status reflected by the prize money on offer so you will always get more money for winning the world championship than the welsh open

i dont know what the problem is i quite like the idea making prize money being equal to ranking points it actually killing two birds with one stone it make sense

Postby Wildey

nobody is playing it for free but if players pick and choose what to play based on how much they being payed at the level we talking at..

ie

id rather play a tournament because i can make 75k instead of 50k then they are greedy chameleons and top top players in their prime should be thinking right ill play in everything win most and the money will look after itself.

you cant seriously think players should be looking at cash before entering a event "right i need a 70K car ill enter that event because 50K not enough"

Postby JIMO96

Wild wrote:

thats a load of crap...

Some people are consumed by their own obnoxiousness and full of their own self importance.

With respect, Wild, it's not "your bucking face" that the circuit revolves around, and "your bucking face" does not pay the players wages. Bring it on, it's a brilliant day for snooker everytime BH opens his mouth.

Wild, your commercial sense is indirectly proportionate to the hatred you spout out on this forum. If you ran the tour you'd bring it to it's knees within a month.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I agree with Wild. The priority in any sport has to be winning matches and titles not playing for money. Of course all the tour players have to earn a decent amount of money, the successful ones even more but at the end of the day that can't be the main goal. Being a sport professional isn't a regular job with all the advantages and disadvantages that come with it.

Postby Skullman

For the record I'm against a money based order of merit. But the way Wild was going on before, it seemed he thought money was completely unimportant. I don't condone skipping events because the price money isn't enough, because it's a job and people don't skip certains days of work if the money isn't enough, but I do think some players will try harder if there's more money at stake.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:For the record I'm against a money based order of merit. But the way Wild was going on before, it seemed he thought money was completely unimportant. I don't condone skipping events because the price money isn't enough, because it's a job and people don't skip certains days of work if the money isn't enough, but I do think some players will try harder if there's more money at stake.

fair point however as a fan id like to see players try at all events and if money rankings come in top players that do well in big events wont in smaller events that carry less money/ranking points if whats been said on this thread is true.

as a sport do we want that ? i dont id rather have points whitch means players has to give 100% more often than not.

Postby Skullman

Wild wrote:
Skullman wrote:For the record I'm against a money based order of merit. But the way Wild was going on before, it seemed he thought money was completely unimportant. I don't condone skipping events because the price money isn't enough, because it's a job and people don't skip certains days of work if the money isn't enough, but I do think some players will try harder if there's more money at stake.

fair point however as a fan id like to see players try at all events and if money rankings come in top players that do well in big events wont in smaller events that carry less money/ranking points if whats been said on this thread is true.

as a sport do we want that ? i dont id rather have points whitch means players has to give 100% more often than not.

I'd be nice, but even with ranking points system, players will try harder for some tournaments than others. For example some didn't try that hard in the PTCs (MJW), and some try and save themselves for the World Championship (Dott). I don't like it either, but it's understandable.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:
Wild wrote:

I'd be nice, but even with ranking points system, players will try harder for some tournaments than others. For example some didn't try that hard in the PTCs (MJW), and some try and save themselves for the World Championship (Dott). I don't like it either, but it's understandable.

yes But this Season the World Champ gets double the Welsh Open Champion in Ranking points

if Prize money rankings was in operational The World Champion Would get 8 Times more than the Welsh open champion thats a massive difference.

Postby jojo

if the events are optional like in golf and tennis for example then it totally up to the player if he turn up or not

the fact that a tournament is optional means it is not the most important tournament and it up to the player to weigh up the pros and cons of deciding if he want to turn up or not and money is just one of those factors

there are other factors to consider such as player form a player may wish to play extra tournaments to play their way into form or they might need the additional ranking points etc

they may not decide to turn up due to their scheduling ie scared of burnout or wishing to spend extra time with their family ronnie spring to mind so theres lots of factors to consider

this may come as a shock to some people but different players have different priorities and money is just one factor

hendry was always driven to win the really major titles more than the smaller ones irrespective of the prize money on offer

a top player will always want to win the bigger events as oppose to the smaller events so this new incoming system of prize money equal to ranking points changes rubbish

Postby Roland

Another blunder, two top Europeans turn out not to be the two top Europeans. Hearn announces the two I and most others would have chosen, but the made up rule to justify the selection is just #careless

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Another blunder, two top Europeans turn out not to be the two top Europeans. Hearn announces the two I and most others would have chosen, but the made up rule to justify the selection is just #careless

Right Decition regarding Brecel however just how many chances does Drago Need hes 46 time to look for youth now let Drago go to Q School if hes good enough he will get back having said that i am pleased Drago staying on tour but i believe Sam Baird deserved to stay on tour more than Drago and britain is in europe.

Postby roy142857

Wild wrote:
Sonny wrote:Another blunder, two top Europeans turn out not to be the two top Europeans. Hearn announces the two I and most others would have chosen, but the made up rule to justify the selection is just #careless

Right Decition regarding Brecel however just how many chances does Drago Need hes 46 time to look for youth now let Drago go to Q School if hes good enough he will get back having said that i am pleased Drago staying on tour but i believe Sam Baird deserved to stay on tour more than Drago and britain is in europe.

I'd have much rather they let EBSA decide the European places (preferably by a competition for national champions, but maybe not enough time to organise that).

And I'd have given wild cards to Brecel and Cao Yupeng on the grounds of World Championship performance and said that that will also be the case going forward, anyone who isn't qualified by makes the venue for the World Championship gets a Tour Card.

Postby Alex0paul

I would like to see a rule whereby if you qualify for the Crucible then you stay on tour for next year.

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul wrote:I would like to see a rule whereby if you qualify for the Crucible then you stay on tour for next year.

good call

and lets face it Drago was Ranked 46th at the start of the season one place above Jamie Jones so it was his place to lose and Lose it he did so he Really did not deserve to get a Repreve.

Postby roy142857

Wild wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:I would like to see a rule whereby if you qualify for the Crucible then you stay on tour for next year.

good call

and lets face it Drago was Ranked 46th at the start of the season one place above Jamie Jones so it was his place to lose and Lose it he did so he Really did not deserve to get a Repreve.

and not just a reprieve - TWO YEARS!!! So he's better off than all the players who finished just above him? Or are they planning to build numbers next year by the rather simple plan of no-one dropping off?

Postby JIMO96

Here is the final ranking list showing how it would look if the rankings were based on cash over the last 2 seasons:

Pos. / Name / Actual Ranking / Cash

1 John Higgins 5 £490,638
2 Ronnie O'Sullivan 9 £445,456
3 Judd Trump 2 £418,897
4 Mark Selby 1 £322,263
5 Mark Williams 3 £306,414
6 Neil Robertson 7 £302,288
7 Allister Carter 17 £277,583
8 Stephen Maguire 4 £267,539
9 Stephen Lee 8 £244,132
10 Shaun Murphy 6 £242,510
11 Mark Allen 12 £241,076
12 Ding Junhui 11 £229,028
13 Matthew Stevens 10 £183,904
14 Peter Ebdon 20 £180,287
15 Martin Gould 14 £155,987
16 Stuart Bingham 16 £155,125
17 Graeme Dott 13 £153,527
18 Ricky Walden 15 £139,511
19 Andrew Higginson 18 £132,139
20 Stephen Hendry 21 £122,350
21 Joe Perry 24 £112,545
22 Dominic Dale 23 £111,327
23 Jamie Cope 27 £111,165
24 Marco Fu 28 £111,010
25 Mark Davis 19 £106,408
26 Marcus Campbell 25 £106,012
27 Ryan Day 30 £102,111
28 Barry Hawkins 22 £102,056
29 Tom Ford 26 £100,453
30 Mark King 31 £96,238
31 Michael Holt 33 £89,230
32 Ken Doherty 35 £84,806
33 Jamie Burnett 39 £79,622
34 Robert Milkins 36 £79,111
35 Jamie Jones 29 £78,338
36 Liang Wenbo 37 £74,223
37 Rory McLeod 38 £72,850
38 Fergal O’Brien 34 £72,645
39 Anthony Hamilton 32 £70,898
40 Gerard Greene 42 £61,715
41 Nigel Bond 45 £57,338
42 Steve Davis 51 £55,398
43 Matt Selt 44 £54,873
44 Jack Lisowski 40 £51,146
45 Mike Dunn 49 £49,752
46 Joe Jogia 47 £48,766
47 Dave Gilbert 57 £48,409
48 Dave Harold 48 £46,878
49 Ben Woollaston 43 £46,857
50 Peter Lines 53 £45,812
51 Alan McManus 52 £45,664
52 Jimmy White 46 £44,145
53 Xiao Guodong 41 £42,529
54 Liu Chuang 56 £40,974
55 Mark Joyce 59 £39,545
56 Barry Pinches 64 £38,644
57 Jimmy Robertson 55 £35,785
58 Liu Song 67 £31,381
59 James Wattana 63 £31,296
60 Michael White 54 £30,741
61 Anthony McGill 50 £29,529
62 Adrian Gunnell 70 £26,508
63 Alfie Burden 60 £26,184
64 Tony Drago 65 £26,031
65 Joe Swail 69 £24,322
66 Yu Delu 58 £23,947
67 Cao Yupeng 71 £23,635
68 Andy Hicks 61 £22,112
69 David Morris 73 £19,568
70 Ian McCulloch 72 £19,437
71 Rod Lawler 75 £18,844
72 Andrew Pagett 84 £18,354
73 Patrick Wallace ~ £17,521
74 Luca Brecel 82 £17,518
75 Jin Long ~ £17,500
76 Sam Baird 79 £16,680
77 Matthew Couch 88 £16,471
78 Paul S Davison 86 £16,330
79 Li Yan 68 £15,149
80 Liam Highfield 66 £14,988
81 James McBain ~ £14,571
82 Adam Duffy 62 £14,476
83 Kurt Maflin 74 £13,535
84 Lu Ning ~ £13,500
85 Kyren Wilson ~ £12,666
86 Li Hang ~ £11,925
87 Stuart Pettman ~ £11,700
88 Igor Figueiredo 98 £11,284
89 Daniel Wells 91 £11,024
90 Simon Bedford 89 £10,063
91 Thanawat Thirapongpaiboon ~ £8,967
92 Bjorn Haneveer 95 £8,856
93 Justin Astley ~ £8,323
94 Joe Delaney ~ £7,571
95 Sam Craigie 76 £7,454
96 Craig Steadman ~ £7,268
97 Jimmy Michie ~ £7,028
98 Tian Pengfei 81 £6,793
99 Aditya Mehta 83 £6,600
100 David Grace 80 £5,959
101 Passakorn Suwannawat 77 £5,671
102 Andrew Norman 78 £5,384
103 Adam Wicheard 85 £4,723
104 Dechawat Poomjaeng 87 £4,604
105 Mei Xiwen ~ £4,000
106 Issara Kachaiwong ~ £3,999
107 Anda Zhang ~ £3,737
108 Chris Norbury ~ £3,613
109 Jak Jones ~ £3,414
110 Scott MacKenzie 90 £3,251
111 Michael Wasley ~ £3,170
112 Noppon Saengkham ~ £3,121
113 James McGouran ~ £3,100
114 Allan Taylor ~ £2,884
115 Ian Burns ~ £2,638
116 Paul Davies ~ £2,500
117 Thepchaiya Un-Nooh ~ £2,500
118 Darren Morgan ~ £2,500
119 Kuldesh Johal ~ £2,471
120 Stephen Craigie ~ £2,356
121 Robbie Williams ~ £2,305
122 Dermot McGlinchey ~ £2,300
123 Michael Judge ~ £2,100
124 Chen Zhe ~ £2,099
125 Gary Wilson ~ £1,909
126 Lasse Munstermann ~ £1,871
127 Sam Harvey ~ £1,842
128 Jamie O'Neill ~ £1,709
129 Joel Walker ~ £1,700
130 Stuart Carrington 92 £1,685
131 Mario Geudens ~ £1,500
132 Craig MacGillivray ~ £1,500
133 Ben Harrison ~ £1,400
134 Lucky Vatnani 96 £1,250
135 David Singh ~ £1,199
136 Patrick Einsle ~ £1,142
137 Eden Sharav ~ £1,000
138 Ian Glover ~ £971
139 Leo Fernandez ~ £971
140 Jamie Walker ~ £942
141 David Gray ~ £836
142 Nick Jennings ~ £800
143 Duane Jones ~ £767
144 Mitchell Mann ~ £738
145 Ashley Wright ~ £685
146 Mitchell Travis ~ £571
147 Martin O'Donnell ~ £571
148 David Hogan 93 £542
149 Sam Thistlewhite ~ £400
150 Jordan Brown ~ £400
151 Michael Wild ~ £371
152 Antony Parsons ~ £200
153 Shahram Changezi ~ £200
154 John Whitty ~ £200
155 Andy Lee ~ £200
156 Shahrukh Nasir ~ £200
157 Lee Page ~ £200
158 Alex Davies ~ £200
159 Lee Spick ~ £200
160 Peter Bullen ~ £171
161 Philip Browne ~ £171
162 Wictor Doberschutz ~ £171
163 James Welsh ~ £171
164 Mario Wehrmann ~ £171
165 Jakub Rendla ~ £171
166 Michael Heeger ~ £171
167 Jurgen Kesseler ~ £171
168 Habib Shalchian ~ £171
169 Ralph Enax ~ £171
170 Curd Persijn ~ £171
171 Andrew Milliard ~ £167
172 Matthew Day ~ £167
173 Scott Donaldson ~ £167
174 Robin Hull 94 £0
175 Kacper Filipiak 97 £0
176 Joe Meara 99 £0

Postby Wildey

streight away it shows how rubbish it is

Carter 7th give me a bucking break

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:streight away it shows how rubbish it is

Carter 7th give me a bucking break

his list is flawed though and is weighted towards the top guys

because in a real ORDER OF MERIT these figures would be totally different

take Carter for example, all the round 1 games he lost, well under a flat 128 set up and money list, he wouldnt earn any moeny for them so hed be a good bit further down, though obviously a World runner up does you a WORLD of good, pardon the pun.

But the way things go under an OOM is ideal as the big tournaments become highly significant and have total importance again unlike the now, where the Worlds and UK are greatly under rewarded ranking points wise to other events.

And only a money system will allow the players to pick and choose their events, but as HEARN even said last week, which backs up MY theory, the OOM will encourage events to stump up big bucks to get the stars to play in them.

The new tournys in China and the new bigger prize funds on offer all of a sudden are a pre-curser to the OOM and the acknowledgment that the prize funds were poor in Asia previously but under an OOM they need to raise their game.