Post a reply

Re: Ranking Tournaments only Money list (Updated)

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Great work squire! In last 2 years tho Jono has WC 250k and WO 100k for starters so not sure where u got his total from? Unless of course WPBSA deducted money off him to cover costs of all them mirrors he broke...

i think he used the old one year list and added this season whitch did not include 2010 World,China Open and Welsh Open

Postby JIMO96

Sorry Witz....I meant to say that the list reflects all ranking events since Hearn took over, i.e in the 2 year cycle that ends with the 2012 World Championship.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:When do you guys think this will take effect? 2013/14 season?

Dave Hendon feeling is never regarding 128 flat system.... lets not forget TV and Sponsors dictated the current structure so persuading them will be hard when you consider TV Dictated the UK Format what they want will ultimatly be given im afraid so Barry wont find it easy to persuade them.

so the money list cant work with tier system.

Postby Monique

Witz78 wrote:little kitten Hendon, hes just another Monique

Only that Monique has said time and again that she is all for it, you idiot.
Now between recognising what is a good idea and actually implementing it in the current economical context, there can be a few hurdles to overcome and my understanding is that Dave is not convinced it's doable.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:buck Hendon, hes just another Monique

its not a hendon decition lol

as a snooker fan i wouldnt care if Li Yan was the highest ranked player at a venue and if everyone was like me the green light would be given but you got star player whores suporting snooker and thats the problem.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:Flat draws sound like a good idea in principle but really it would mean the rankings or money lists are completely pointless.

Not exactly. It would still be used to determine who stays on the MT and who doesn't and I suppose there would be some kind of "seeding" of the top 16 or top 32 so that they don't collide in first round. But it would offer a lot more flexibility to the players while the sponsors/broadcasters would have no guarantee that the "big names" would make it a television stage. It would also make the sponsors market a lot more "competitive" because only those who would bring big bucks will attract the best field … but the question is "Is snooker big enough to get them actually interested?"

Postby Witz78

maintain the current set up of teired rankings / qualifying and protection to the self-proclaimed "elite" and the sports gonna continue to drift along.

all this fuss about rankings etc, in sports like golf its hardly life or death, its all about just entering events and trying to win. With rolling rankings already in place, who cares, soon as the elite entry into events is taken away, players will be more focused on achieving things than just being happy to drift along at a comfort level.

Postby Witz78

also as someone said on "that" blog there could be a race to the Crucible each year with the top 32 in the order of merit getting entry to the World Championships at end of the season. No need for qualifiers either.

Postby Wildey

the beuty of the tier system is what happened last weekend where as Ronnies top 16 spot was a massive intrest and turned what really was a before christmas flat PTC in to something quite interesting on monday with Davis almost reaching the semi final. and then you had Doherty losing first match to morris and drop out of the top 32....

Tier system can have a defistating effect on top players where as Flat system wont Hendry might drop out of top 32 no chance in hell he will drop out of the top 64 this side of the next millenium.

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:
Witz78 wrote:little kitten Hendon, hes just another Monique

Only that Monique has said time and again that she is all for it, you idiot.
Now between recognising what is a good idea and actually implementing it in the current economical context, there can be a few hurdles to overcome and my understanding is that Dave is not convinced it's doable.

apologies for tarring you with the same brush as him <ok>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:the beuty of the tier system is what happened last weekend where as Ronnies top 16 spot was a massive intrest and turned what really was a before christmas flat PTC in to something quite interesting on monday with Davis almost reaching the semi final. and then you had Doherty losing first match to morris and drop out of the top 32....

Tier system can have a defistating effect on top players where as Flat system wont Hendry might drop out of top 32 no chance in hell he will drop out of the top 64 this side of the next millenium.

still gonna have top 16s and 32s under the new system.

the higher you are up in rankings the deeper you go in a tournament before you have to face any top players.

and if players think there ranking wouldnt matter under a new flat system, well whats the point of them staying as a pro players if there happy to let other players win events whilst they slide down and are forgotten about.

The whole rankings teir set up is holding players back and the point Ronnie made the other night is totally spot on.

Postby Wildey

yeah but being ranked 17th to 16th wont matter jot really apart from masters im not saying im against it... now as a hendry fan i think flat system will be better for him and meaning not being top 16 wont matter to him we know he can beat anyone down the rankings and possibly with this system someone down the rankings might get rid of Higgins before he due to meet him but excitement of last PTC Regarding Ronnies ranking wont be there with a flat system. and despite Ronnie making light of it he was bricking it lol

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Most individual sports have different numbers of players depending on the level of the event. The PDC World Championship has 72 players while most other TV events have 32. In the BDO the World Championship has 32 players while the other major the World Masters traditionaly had top players entering at the Last 256. The Snooker World Championship will always be a 32 man event in it's current format so the tiered system would still apply. I'm not sure if 128 man events are possible but I could see them getting it to 64 players which would be an improvement.

Postby Witz78

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Most individual sports have different numbers of players depending on the level of the event. The PDC World Championship has 72 players while most other TV events have 32. In the BDO the World Championship has 32 players while the other major the World Masters traditionaly had top players entering at the Last 256. The Snooker World Championship will always be a 32 man event in it's current format so the tiered system would still apply. I'm not sure if 128 man events are possible but I could see them getting it to 64 players which would be an improvement.

just cos thered only be 32 at the Crucible doesnt mean it has to be teired <doh>

1) 2 rounds of qualifying to get down from 128 to 32

or

2) the top 32 in the rankings qualify for the event

Postby Wildey

or

2) the top 32 in the rankings qualify for the event

I LIKE THAT

then if you put the cut off for that AFTER the china open players has All season to try and get in to it with 12+finals PTC and all other Ranking events

say top 16 on the Ranking List and Top 16 on the one year list and thats that.

Postby Witz78

yeh it brings snooker in line with the likes of Golf and Tennis who have the Race to Dubai, Masters or end of season event etc. Snooker will have a Race to Sheffield instead and it means the new UNteired ranking system will still have significance meaning therell be no place for workshy lazy players to just pick and choose events.

Postby Monique

Witz78 wrote:yeh it brings snooker in line with the likes of Golf and Tennis who have the Race to Dubai, Masters or end of season event etc. Snooker will have a Race to Sheffield instead and it means the new UNteired ranking system will still have significance meaning therell be no place for workshy lazy players to just pick and choose events.

If it's a money list and they do well in WC or UK they will need nothing else. Not sure that's ideal.

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:
Witz78 wrote:yeh it brings snooker in line with the likes of Golf and Tennis who have the Race to Dubai, Masters or end of season event etc. Snooker will have a Race to Sheffield instead and it means the new UNteired ranking system will still have significance meaning therell be no place for workshy lazy players to just pick and choose events.

If it's a money list and they do well in WC or UK they will need nothing else. Not sure that's ideal.

yes but if you look at most money based ranking lists in sports thats the way it is. that might seem extreme but the current ranking points and proportion of relevance given to the Worlds is a joke really and doesnt reflect its significance anymore.

Back in the Walker 6 rankers era the Worlds was 10,000/43,000 seasons total points so it had 23% importance, now with 81,000 pts available the tariffs havent changed so its only 12% important ranking points wise.

Anyway once we move to a money based list, im certain it will see sponsors throwing money at events to boost their profile, status and importance.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:

persanally id like Ranking points, then 128 flat system and race for the crucible as Witz sais if you win the UK you are guaranteed to be top 16 anyway by the WC Time..

then every player starting same round of ranking events and PTC Has a chance to be in the draw for sheffield on a equal standing if you use the one year list to get the 16 crucible qualifiers.

Postby Monique

Witz78 wrote:
Monique wrote:

yes but if you look at most money based ranking lists in sports thats the way it is. that might seem extreme but the current ranking points and proportion of relevance given to the Worlds is a joke really and doesnt reflect its significance anymore.

Back in the Walker 6 rankers era the Worlds was 10,000/43,000 seasons total points so it had 23% importance, now with 81,000 pts available the tariffs havent changed so its only 12% important ranking points wise.

Anyway once we move to a money based list, im certain it will see sponsors throwing money at events to boost their profile, status and importance.

That's exactly where I have my doubts. You're kidding yourself about the perception snooker gets in the media and by the sponsors. Just remember that radio debate only a few days ago with Dave Hendon and Matt.

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Monique wrote:

That's exactly where I have my doubts. You're kidding yourself about the perception snooker gets in the media and by the sponsors. Just remember that radio debate only a few days ago with Dave Hendon and Matt.

That guy was a real idiot though

"I don't know any teenagers that like snooker"

Eh, how many teenagers do you know :dizzy:

Postby Witz78

Hearns rebuilding snookers image after all the damage done by Plonker, Rex and the previous regaimes and something like this is required to take it to the next level and on a par with other big sports.

No point thinking negative all the time and the stale negative teired system epitomises the old regimes and the look after the old boys network, sod the future attitude thats done snooker no good at all. Time to enter the 21st century.

the myth that the big names have to be at events is a loada BS, the PTCs seem to be sought after by HENDONS Eurosport cronies despite no guarantee the big names will be involved later on. At the end of the day everyone should start in the last 128, if the big names are as good as they think they will bash up the young guys and journeymen and reach the latter stages, if they dont and start to slide then it proves they were beneficaries of a farcial protective system that was in place.

Postby Roland

Wally isn't strong enough to describe those low life plebs. They spent most of the "discussion" talking about Hearn's nonsense idea about placing a microchip in the snooker balls.

Postby Monique

Witz78 wrote:Hearns rebuilding snookers image after all the damage done by Plonker, Rex and the previous regaimes and something like this is required to take it to the next level and on a par with other big sports.

No point thinking negative all the time and the stale negative teired system epitomises the old regimes and the look after the old boys network, sod the future attitude thats done snooker no good at all. Time to enter the 21st century.

the myth that the big names have to be at events is a loada BS, the PTCs seem to be sought after by HENDONS Eurosport cronies despite no guarantee the big names will be involved later on. At the end of the day everyone should start in the last 128, if the big names are as good as they think they will bash up the young guys and journeymen and reach the latter stages, if they dont and start to slide then it proves they were beneficaries of a farcial protective system that was in place.

The thing witz is that the "Hendon cronies" whatever you think about them love snooker, know the game and have been involved for a long time. The problem is more about those who make decisions at the BBC or elsewhere and have no clue. They will go by hearsay and prejudices. I must say that my attempt to find sponsors for the top players in the German Masters last January was quite dispiriting and when you consider the crowd that turned up quite astonishing in fact. But there you have it: I failed and everyone else who tried failed just the same way. Sadly epic failure.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Wally isn't strong enough to describe those low life plebs. They spent most of the "discussion" talking about Hearn's nonsense idea about placing a microchip in the snooker balls.

rofl rofl rofl

he thought it was gen lol