Post a reply

Re: The Sets Format Poll: Yes or No

Postby Witz78

how about a sets format but with 6 reds or 10 reds instead so we get more mini frames / sets etc

this would then totally give the Welsh a unique format

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:how about a sets format but with 6 reds or 10 reds instead so we get more mini frames / sets etc

I wouldn't like to see any tournament going down the 6 red or 10 red route, but for an invitational I actually think it would be quite interesting, so decent point there. I think it was Sonny suggested that one before.

Postby GJ

sets for welsh open no change in number of reds though

witz

<doh>

Postby Tubberlad

GJ wrote:sets for welsh open no change in number of reds though

witz

<doh>

Interesting, whenever I bring this idea up, it's always the Welsh Open that people suggest... which I suppose I can understand as it's definitely the poor relation right now. Personally, I wouldn't mind any of the standard events using it, not the majors though...

Postby Witz78

Tubberlad wrote:
Witz78 wrote:how about a sets format but with 6 reds or 10 reds instead so we get more mini frames / sets etc

I wouldn't like to see any tournament going down the 6 red or 10 red route, but for an invitational I actually think it would be quite interesting, so decent point there. I think it was Sonny suggested that one before.

whats the harm in fewer reds in a ranker

its still "snooker" at the end of the day

i want a calendar to have rankers with long format, best of 9s etc but also a shot clock shootout and a 10 reds ranker too.

that many ranking points on the tour these days that a couple of "novelty" 5,000 points rankers would hardly make much difference

Postby Witz78

how about an element of Power Snooker / Shootout / OneFourSeven(remember it? lol) being used and having a ranking tournament based on overall points scored in matches instead

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:

i want a calendar to have rankers with long format, best of 9s etc but also a shot clock shootout and a 10 reds ranker too.

that many ranking points on the tour these days that a couple of "novelty" 5,000 points rankers would hardly make much difference

Fewer Reds on the table a little fewer brain cells in your head as well it seems <doh>

Postby Bourne

Long as it's weighted correctly points-wise then it's not a bad shout, but I'd rather a new tournament was introduced rather than changing one of the existing ones to 6 reds.

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:Long as it's weighted correctly points-wise then it's not a bad shout, but I'd rather a new tournament was introduced rather than changing one of the existing ones to 6 reds.

I don't at all like the idea of having a ranking event with less reds. Not for me at all...

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:

Fewer Reds on the table a little fewer brain cells in your head as well it seems <doh>

<doh>

the 10 reds events and 6 reds events i watched on Eurosport a few years ago were quite enoyable and also tended to be quicker affairs which may appeal to a wider market so i dont see any need to be a snooker traditionalist snob and instantly dismiss it like you and others do <ok>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Infact ill ask the man himself tomorrow all about his thoughts ona a 6 red ranker

you having dinner with Barry Hearn :chin:

Postby Bourne

The first 6 red ranker especially would be a great market to exploit, i'm sure sponsors would be keen to stamp their mark on it because it would be something so new.

Reduced-reds ranker

Postby Tubberlad

This was a discussion started on the set-format thread, and just wanted to keep it seperate from what I'm suggesting. Feel free to continue here.

Re: Reduced-reds ranker

Postby snooky147

Witz78 wrote:Yep why not?

tell me a good reason why there shouldnt be

You frighten me...Honestly, what tripe will be thought of next? :chin:

Postby Tubberlad

snooky147 wrote:

Yeah, sorry Witz but I really, really don't like the though of a reduced reds ranking event. Maybe that's just me being traditional, but it has no appeal for me.

Postby Witz78

snooky147 wrote:

im all for progressive change

u sound like the lovechild of Moondan, vodkadiet and Wild with your staunch traditionalists views

times are a changing, theres room for all kinds of rankers

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:
snooky147 wrote:

im all for progressive change

u sound like the lovechild of Moondan, vodkadiet and Wild with your staunch traditionalists views

times are a changing, theres room for all kinds of rankers

To be fair to Wild, he's always been in favour of the sets idea, and I think he's also in favour of many things Barry Hearn has introduced. Hell, if I remember right he didn't even mind the shootout haha (can't swear to that one). So while he's not a radicalist, I don't think he's really staunch traditional either, whereas the other two possibly would be?

Re: Reduced-reds ranker (not my idea)

Postby Roland

Yes originally the sets idea was based on 6-reds because you could have best of 5 leg sets which is more dramatic when you get to 2-2. But thinking about it more, I like the best of 3 set legs suggested by Tubber earlier and with the full 15 red game.

As for any element of shot-clock - the Premier League last night showed that although entertaining, shot clocks encourage farcical snooker and they should never have any ranking points attached.