Bad idea
7%
Terrible idea
29%

Total votes : 28

Re: The Sets Format Poll: Yes or No

Postby PLtheRef

Sonny wrote:
roy142857 wrote:Good idea, with some reservations, one of which is that it makes an idea I like (round robin groups of short matches) less likely. The other is that I'd worry about it becoming prevalent rather than a good and interesting variation. But as a format for one tournament a year, evan a couple? Rather like it.

Round robin groups is proven not to work though. Snooker players can't help themselves but help out their mates and make dodgy bets in the dead games.

I've always suggested having groups of four in a double round robin would work best, as it means that we have no unnecessary fixtures and that each and every one counts. That eliminates all potential avenues for getting both the reward of fixing the match and qualification for the later stages.

Going to the idea of the sets format. I can see advantages of it, it would certainly make things interesting but the length of a match would be limited based on frames scheduled. E.g. in a nine frame session you could schedule three sets. - The reason it works well in darts is because the length of the sets and the length of a frame are comparable, e.g. a best of 11 set darts match is likely to run a similar to a best of 11 frame snooker match.

The only problems with it is that if someone wins 2-1 0-2 2-1 then they win despite a 4-4 draw in frames.

I'd be interested in a points tournament being brought in - e.g. in billiards, matches run for a set length of time, You could also have two sessions of two hours like in the world billiards championships.

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:
The only problems with it is that if someone wins 2-1 0-2 2-1 then they win despite a 4-4 draw in frames.

dont really see that as a problem i see it as unique

Postby Roland

:td: to round robin events full stop for me.

And Paddy - that's the point of set play!

:irk:

Postby Tubberlad

Wild wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:

dont really see that as a problem i see it as unique

No problem at all...the player that has won has won the more pressure frames is a worthy winner in my books

Postby Tubberlad

PLtheRef wrote:
Sonny wrote:
roy142857 wrote:Good idea, with some reservations, one of which is that it makes an idea I like (round robin groups of short matches) less likely. The other is that I'd worry about it becoming prevalent rather than a good and interesting variation. But as a format for one tournament a year, evan a couple? Rather like it.

Round robin groups is proven not to work though. Snooker players can't help themselves but help out their mates and make dodgy bets in the dead games.

I've always suggested having groups of four in a double round robin would work best, as it means that we have no unnecessary fixtures and that each and every one counts. That eliminates all potential avenues for getting both the reward of fixing the match and qualification for the later stages.

Going to the idea of the sets format. I can see advantages of it, it would certainly make things interesting but the length of a match would be limited based on frames scheduled. E.g. in a nine frame session you could schedule three sets. - The reason it works well in darts is because the length of the sets and the length of a frame are comparable, e.g. a best of 11 set darts match is likely to run a similar to a best of 11 frame snooker match.

I'd be interested in a points tournament being brought in - e.g. in billiards, matches run for a set length of time, You could also have two sessions of two hours like in the world billiards championships.

First of all Paddy, a match could run for a maximum of 9 frames, and a minimum of 4, no different really than an ordinary best-of-9 game (bar one potential frame less).

Also as regards a 4-4 draw in ordinary circumstances, the winner has won more pressure frames so is a worthy winner.

Postby Wildey

well Last year in the Welsh Open there was a maximum of 7 frames and a minimum of 4