Post a reply

Best of 11s UK Championship!!!!!

Postby Wildey

Firstly this is only a Rumour nothing confirmed By World Snooker but there is this Rumour i herd Through Matt of Pro Snooker Blog on Twitter that the UK Championship might be Best of 11 Frame Matches up to the Quarter Finals...we already know the Qualifiers will be Best of 11 so as i said somewhere else on this forum that was only the start of it.

obviously The Idea is if its true that they can play all matches on 2 tables instead of the 4 with 2 cubicle matches which i understand however that just makes a mockery of the tournament and undermines Snooker.

Would the FA Reduce early rounds of the FA Cup to 30 minutes both ways because ITV Wanted it finished before X Factor start etc

By Bowing Down to TV Barry is virtually letting TV Schedulers Dictate how long Matches should take to play and i think it will spread like cancer whitch is concerning for the Sport.

i hate 2 Matches in Cubicles but id Rather that than selling the Sport down the River.

Re: Best of 11s UK Championship!!!!!

Postby Witz78

16 round 1 games x 2 sessions = 32 sessions
8 round 2 games x 2 sessions = 16 sessions
4 QF games x 2 sessions = 8 sessions
2 SF games x 2 sessions = 4 sessions
1 final x 2 sessions = 2 sessions

total = 62 sessions

morning, afternoon, evening sessions = 3 per day x 2 tables = 6 sessions per day

Start the tournament on the Thursday night instead of Saturday and all sessions can be accomodated on 2 tables.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:16 round 1 games x 2 sessions = 32 sessions
8 round 2 games x 2 sessions = 16 sessions
4 QF games x 2 sessions = 8 sessions
2 SF games x 2 sessions = 4 sessions
1 final x 2 sessions = 2 sessions

total = 62 sessions

morning, afternoon, evening sessions = 3 per day x 2 tables = 6 sessions per day

Start the tournament on the Thursday night instead of Saturday and all sessions can be accomodated on 2 tables.

even if they play Thursday and Friday without TV and throw the not as attractive matches on those 2 days.

Postby Wildey

2005me (where the buck is he :? ) did a schedule to get rid of 4 tables and it worked as well it really not that hard to do reducing this event is a dangerous precedent to go down.

Postby SnookerFan

If that's true, then I'm going to be complaining big time. We've got to get over this idea that shortening matches makes them better. And I, for one, will rescind my plan to buy tickets to go York.

Hopefully, it's just a rumour though.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:If that's true, then I'm going to be complaining big time. We've got to get over this idea that shortening matches makes them better. And I, for one, will rescind my plan to buy tickets to go York.

Hopefully, it's just a rumour though.

lets talk about it all over twitter lets get the message loud and clear we dont want it #fuckoffhearnukstayslong :john:

Postby SnookerFan

I just e-mailed World Snooker with the following;

Dear World Snooker,
I heard a rumour on the internet today (which was probably just that), that there was a proposed change in the format to the UK Championship whereby matches in the earlier rounds would be best of 11, rather then the traditional longer frame matches.
Is it possible to enquire if there is any truth in these rumours, as I really believe the UK Championship should have longer matches due to it being the second most important snooker tournament of the year. Also, I had planned to take the week off work, and travel to York. This is something I wouldn't do however, if earlier matches were this short.

Many thanks,

We'll see what happens.

Postby SnookerFan

This may mess up my holiday plans, I must say. No way am I travelling all the way to York to watch best of 11s, when I am commutable to London to see The Masters a month later.

Here's what I had planned to do;

Take a week off work. Travel up and watch the first rounds in York, hopefully they will do a sit where you like jobby like Telford did so I can buy tickets before the matches are announced. Spend the first round matches in York, and then travel back in time that I can watch the rest on television with friends, beer and takeaways.

If it's best of 11, I'll have to rethink my plans. Don't want to shell out for the latter stages to be honest, as that'll be a lot more expensive. I could just take the week off, and spend the whole time with friends and the beer. Though this'll mean I have the whole week to fill, and will need to set up more social engagements with friends who want to watch it. :chin: The other plan b, is hope that the Australian Open is on TV, and have a week off work watching it from 4am each day (beer already in hand).

:chin:

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:This may mess up my holiday plans, I must say. No way am I travelling all the way to York to watch best of 11s, when I am commutable to London to see The Masters a month later.

Here's what I had planned to do;

Take a week off work. Travel up and watch the first rounds in York, hopefully they will do a sit where you like jobby like Telford did so I can buy tickets before the matches are announced. Spend the first round matches in York, and then travel back in time that I can watch the rest on television with friends, beer and takeaways.

If it's best of 11, I'll have to rethink my plans. Don't want to shell out for the latter stages to be honest, as that'll be a lot more expensive. I could just take the week off, and spend the whole time with friends and the beer. Though this'll mean I have the whole week to fill, and will need to set up more social engagements with friends who want to watch it. :chin: The other plan b, is hope that the Australian Open is on TV, and have a week off work watching it from 4am each day (beer already in hand).

:chin:

Barry Hearn has a lot to answer for how dare he ruin ur holiday plans <laugh>

Postby snooky147

Well, if it is true then so much for Hearn's promise not to touch the format of the Majors. Sorry to say I saw it coming though and if it is announced it's a sad day for the Sport.

Postby Wildey

snooky147 wrote:Well, if it is true then so much for Hearn's promise not to touch the format of the Majors. Sorry to say I saw it coming though and if it is announced it's a sad day for the Sport.

yes ill be reminding barry on a consistent level how much of a lying rubbish he is <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

snooky147 wrote:Well, if it is true then so much for Hearn's promise not to touch the format of the Majors. Sorry to say I saw it coming though and if it is announced it's a sad day for the Sport.

I will agree with you on this, to be honest. When Barry Hearn arrived, there were people who were worried that he'd make everything gimmicky and ruin the sport. I'm glad to see most people gave him the benefit of the doubt, before they see what he would do. And, I will say, let's not tourist off Hearn until this is confirmed.

However on saying that, there have been hints that Barry is more for shortening matches, rather then lengthening them. Like when he created the World Open, and had best mate Steve Davis talk about the possibility of shortening matches at The Crucible amongst other retarded ideas. That was a suggestion he was testing the waters as it was.

We've also had Welsh Open matches shortened (which I didn't like, but reluctantly accepted as it was more practical and got all matches on television). But if they start shortening matches at the UK, it would beging to look grim for a lot of tournaments in my eyes. However well intentioned the decision, which I believe it would be, the fact is it's still shortening a very prestigious, long-frame tournament. If they'd shortened that, it would be a very real shame, in my opinion.

However, though Hearn does sometimes exude that the believes short matches = better, I will say let's see if it's confirmed first. I will be the first to say it's the wrong decision, if it does happen. But we are only speculating at this point.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:We've also had Welsh Open matches shortened (which I didn't like, but reluctantly accepted as it was more practical and got all matches on television).

but somehow they are going to manage that in Australia without best of 7 matches :chin:

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:We've also had Welsh Open matches shortened (which I didn't like, but reluctantly accepted as it was more practical and got all matches on television).

but somehow they are going to manage that in Australia without best of 7 matches :chin:

Is every single match of the Australian Open going to be televised though?

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:

Is every single match of the Australian Open going to be televised though?

but they will be on 2 Tables with best of 9 matches

Postby GJ

HEARN - MAJORS WONT BE TOUCHED

yes barry you mug so is UK not a major

FOOL

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
GJ wrote:HEARN - MAJORS WONT BE TOUCHED

FOOL

So, you support this decision?

just remember there is no decision lets make sure it remains like that :D

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:

FOOL

<doh>

WHERE THE HELL WERE U WHEN BRAINS WERE BEING DISHED OUT :fart:

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

FOOL

<doh>

WHERE THE HELL WERE U WHEN BRAINS WERE BEING DISHED OUT :fart:

Maybe getting a sense of humour? It was a joke, you melon.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:just remember there is no decision lets make sure it remains like that :D

You would assume though, that if a decision is made, it'll be made in the next month, because that's when tickets go on sale. I can't imagine they'd sell tickets, before knowing the exact format of the tournament.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:just remember there is no decision lets make sure it remains like that :D

You would assume though, that if a decision is made, it'll be made in the next month, because that's when tickets go on sale. I can't imagine they'd sell tickets, before knowing the exact format of the tournament.

yes good point

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:It may well be one of those bullocks stories that goes round, to be fair.

we already know the qualifiers is best of 11s sarah mount has confirmed that as host to the qualifiers at SWA.....so it does have more to it than just bullocks question is will that spread to york.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:heres a Interview Matt had with Mark Joyce and he sort of semi confirms the Rumors. http://prosnookerblog.com/2011/06/11/ps ... -part-one/

as a player he has received his entry form for the event by now and i guess the format is on that.

Certainly seems pretty damning.

I've not had a reply to my e-mail to World Snooker yet, but I specified that I wouldn't be buying tickets if that happened. I guess my week off will be spread round visiting friends, and the pub.