Post a reply

Re: The £10m Tour

Postby Dannyboy

Just thought I'd bump this topic up. This thread is now 2 years old.

We're about to go into the 4th season of Barry's 5 year plan, where he aimed to get up to £10m prize money. Listening to a couple of soundbites recently from Hearn; he believes this is just scratching the surface. £8m will be offered next season, how high can this go? £10m? £12m? Higher?

Because of the prize money rankings, promoters will be trying to get their event to the top of the tree.

Postby Dannyboy

£25m is probably a bit too high.

I think the ATP Tennis tour is worth around £75m now.

Postby Casey

£15 mill in the next 3 years sounds on the money imo.

I think the World Championship will have a first prize of 1/2 mill by 2016.

Postby Dannyboy

I think when we get to the £10m point and beyond, it will come to a point when the PTCs will end and bigger ranking events on a weekly basis, with proper prize money will be offered. The PTCs would've done their job.

Postby Wildey

Dannyboy wrote:I think when we get to the £10m point and beyond, it will come to a point when the PTCs will end and bigger ranking events on a weekly basis, with proper prize money will be offered. The PTCs would've done their job.

for me the PTC is so important for grass roots snooker and a stepping stone between the Amateur game and the Professional Game it would be sad if it ends.

Postby Dannyboy

I think there needs to be some sort of amateur input somewhere down the line. One tournament like the World Open a few years ago, with lots of qualifiers from Rileys qualifiers, womens and international nominations. Once again I think the tournament formats are becoming a little bit samey.

But it is a pro tour remember.

Postby Wildey

Dannyboy wrote:I think there needs to be some sort of amateur input somewhere down the line. One tournament like the World Open a few years ago, with lots of qualifiers from Rileys qualifiers, womens and international nominations. Once again I think the tournament formats are becoming a little bit samey.

yea but the PTC made the tour feel open

personally i think the Pros should have been caped at 120 and then the last 8 places in Main Rankers should have been taken up by the Top 8 Amateur performers on the European/Asian Tours at the time of the Draw. 4 from Europe and 4 from Asia or depending how many Pros actually enter.

Postby Dannyboy

Isn't it pretty much the case anyway? I see the "top up" players are out in force for both Australia and Wuxi.

Postby Wildey

Dannyboy wrote:Isn't it pretty much the case anyway? I see the "top up" players are out in force for both Australia and Wuxi.

but not for the World Championship i bet <ok>

Postby alanmartin

Wildey wrote:
Dannyboy wrote:I think there needs to be some sort of amateur input somewhere down the line. One tournament like the World Open a few years ago, with lots of qualifiers from Rileys qualifiers, womens and international nominations. Once again I think the tournament formats are becoming a little bit samey.

yea but the PTC made the tour feel open

personally i think the Pros should have been caped at 120 and then the last 8 places in Main Rankers should have been taken up by the Top 8 Amateur performers on the European/Asian Tours at the time of the Draw. 4 from Europe and 4 from Asia or depending how many Pros actually enter.

Absolutely agree that the 128 Tour should be capped at 120 card holders.

But I think the tour should be thrown open, all players earing two years of ranking points for each event they win a match in (in future, money which = points) regardless of whether they are on tour or not.
And with 120 card holders guaranteed entry to all tour events that they enter, and the other 8 or more spaces should go to the highest players on the latest ranking list.

It means that in theory any player get end the season by playing at the Crucible - e.g. entering the open to all PTCs and winning a couple, therefore getting one of the "non-tour card player" spots, winning matches there, and being in that magic 8 that get into qualifiers.

Of course it would be very rare for a non-card player to perform so well.