Post a reply

Re: Ranking Cut off Points and counting events !!

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul wrote:
Wild wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Its ridiculous that Selby is number one despite winning one PTC compared to Higgins who has won the World, UK, Welsh Open twice and a PTC.

I do believe there should be more points given for winning an event.

in Darts Phil Taylor even during his ultimate Prime of winning Majors after Majors got as low as 6 or 7 because he did not enter lots of events......Selby is no 1 because of total dedication i have no problem at all with that.

But its stupid that he is ranked as the best player but he isn't winning anything therefore he obviously isn't the best player. There should be a higher points tariff for winning an event.

hes not ranked as the best Williams is no 1 hes provisional no 1 for next cut off point after 8 events to come.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I have to agree with Alexopaul. The PTC events carry too much points in comparison to the normal ranking events.

Some commentator said a few months ago that only your best couple of ptc results should be taken into account. I like that idea.

i disagree i like the fact it makes players lose out if they not committed.

i want players committed its a lot of hard work to get this sport back to the top i for 1 want players to do all they can to help that and if they don't tough its qualifying.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:I have to agree with Alexopaul. The PTC events carry too much points in comparison to the normal ranking events.

Some commentator said a few months ago that only your best couple of ptc results should be taken into account. I like that idea.

i want players committed its a lot of hard work to get this sport back to the top i for 1 want players to do all they can to help that and if they don't tough its qualifying.

I disagree strongly. Because that commitment isn't worth anything to the fans. The PTCs aren't shown on TV but because they are so important due to their massive points they dictate the rankings. Also the PTCs aren't going to help snooker get back to a top sport, ranking events like the ones in Germany and Australia do.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:

I disagree strongly. Because that commitment isn't worth anything to the fans. The PTCs aren't shown on TV but because they are so important due to their massive points they dictate the rankings. Also the PTCs aren't going to help snooker get back to a top sport, ranking events like the one in Australia do.

so you would be happy for players not to bother going to europe to promote the sport showing sponsors that snooker are a sport to invest in.

and how do you think snooker will get back on it feet by players twiddeling their thumbs at home and staying up the rankings....

its all change they got to work for it now or goodbye get another Job.

im extremely pleased the PTC are Dictating the Rankings cant be pleased in fact that way top players has to make the effort and because of that Effort the PTC Events will have a chance to grow in to bigger events like the ones in China and Potentially Australia.

Barry Hearn knows exactly what hes doing with the PTC from top to bottom.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:

I disagree strongly. Because that commitment isn't worth anything to the fans. The PTCs aren't shown on TV but because they are so important due to their massive points they dictate the rankings. Also the PTCs aren't going to help snooker get back to a top sport, ranking events like the one in Australia do.

so you would be happy for players not to bother going to europe to promote the sport showing sponsors that snooker are a sport to invest in.

and how do you think snooker will get back on it feet by players twiddeling their thumbs at home and staying up the rankings....

im extremely pleased the PTC are Dictating the Rankings cant be pleased in fact that way top players has to make the effort and because of that Effort the PTC Events will have a chance to grow in to bigger events like the ones in China and Potentially Australia.

Wild I agree that snooker needs the PTC events but it shouldn't be the place there the rankings are decided. The ranking should say you who is the best not the most diligent player.

And again new proper ranking events let the sport grow much more than some matches in a backroom with no camera and (mostly) no sponsors.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:i disagree i like the fact it makes players lose out if they not committed.

Wild I agree that snooker needs the PTC events but it shouldn't be the place there the rankings are decided. The ranking should say you who is the best not the most diligent player.

And again new proper ranking events let the sport grow not some matches in a backroom with no camera and (mostly) no sponsors.

in away i agree with you and in time id like the best out of PTC Events to count rather than all but snooker players have got lasy Barry Hearn at the mo want to instil a professional work ethick in to them when the sport gets back on it feet there will be less and less emphasis on the PTC Ranking wise and possibly less PTC Events and more main rankers.

its just at the moment everyone has to work together to make snooker great so hes trying every tactic to get players playing in All PTC if possible.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:in away i agree with you and in time id like the best out of PTC Events to count rather than all but snooker players have got lasy Barry Hearn at the mo want to instil a professional work ethick in to them when the sport gets back on it feet there will be less and less emphasis on the PTC Ranking wise and possibly less PTC Events and more main rankers.

its just at the moment everyone has to work together to make snooker great so hes trying every tactic to get players playing in All PTC if possible.

I agree mostly. But the reputation of the rankings clearly suffered last season. And that is also bad for the sport just like the laziness of many players.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:in away i agree with you and in time id like the best out of PTC Events to count rather than all but snooker players have got lasy Barry Hearn at the mo want to instil a professional work ethick in to them when the sport gets back on it feet there will be less and less emphasis on the PTC Ranking wise and possibly less PTC Events and more main rankers.

I agree mostly. But the reputation of the rankings clearly suffered last season. And that is also bad for the sport just like the laziness of many players.

in what way has the rep of the rankings suffered ?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

in what way has the rep of the rankings suffered ?

It's no longer a reliable source for displaying the best players.
Let's look at the new provisional rankings:

1. Selby - look Alexopauls complains
2. Williams - OK but isn't better than Higgins
3. Higgins - should be no. 1
4. Ding - better than Selby
5. Carter - too high
6. Maguire - rofl
7. Murphy - OK
8. Robertson - too low
9. Trump - OK
10. Dott - OK
11. Allen - OK
12. Ebdon - too high
13. Stevens - way too high
14. Lee - too high
15. Ronnie - :huh:
16. Gould - OK

This Top 16 list tells us everything but who are the best 16 players in a correct order.

Postby Wildey

you really are missing the point of rankings mate you cant seriously think Ronnie is 2 low hes hardly played any matches if Ronnie retired today he would still be a brilliant player but he would be slipping to 16,32,48,64 and off the tour.

Rankings are there to reward consistency not to determine who the best is....we all know Higgins is the best player at the moment but he missed 2 rankers pulled out of germany after his father passed away and did not play in 10 PTC and the Grand final thats a lot of points he did not get selby got.

you cant just stick him at the top and sod how many points he gets.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:you really are missing the point of rankings mate you cant seriously think Ronnie is 2 low hes hardly played any matches if Ronnie retired today he would still be a brilliant player but he would be slipping to 16,32,48,64 and off the tour.

Rankings are there to reward consistency not to determine who the best is....we all know Higgins is the best player at the moment but he missed 2 rankers pulled out of germany after his father passed away and did not play in 10 PTC and the Grand final thats a lot of points he did not get selby got.

you cant just stick him at the top and sod how many points he gets.

Wild you are going back to my original argument - that the rankings are currently flawed - because they of course have to determine who is the best - nothing else.

Postby Wildey

World Snooker has issued the NEW Official Calender for the Season http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/Tourna ... llCalendar

THIS LIST IS RANKING POINT COUNTING EVENTS ONLY

PTC GREEN

QUALIFIERS BLUE

MAIN EVENT RED

JUNE

20-22
PTC 1
Academy, Sheffield

27-30
Australian Goaldfields Open
Academy, Sheffield

JULY

18-24
Australian Goldfields Open

AUGUST

1-4
Shanghai Masters Qualifiers
Academy, Sheffield

6-10
PTC2
South West Snooker Academy, Gloucester

17-21
PTC 3
Academy, Sheffield

25-28
PTC 4/Paul Hunter Classic
Fuerth, Germany

SEPTEMBER

5-11
Shanghai Masters
China

21-25
PTC5
Academy, Sheffield

29-2 October
PTC6
Europe

SEEDING CUT OFF FOR UK CHAMPIONSHIP, GERMAN MASTERS, THE MASTERS AND THE SHOOT-OUT

OCTOBER

5-9
PTC7

20-23
PTC 8
Ireland

NOVEMBER

6-9
UK Championship qualifiers

10-13
PTC 9
Belgium

22-25
German Masters qualifiers
Academy, Sheffield

26-30
PTC 10
Europe

DECEMBER

3-11
UK Championship
Barbican Centre, York

15-18
PTC 11
Europe

JANUARY

5-8
PTC12
Europe

SEEDING CUT OFF FOR WELSH OPEN / CHINA OPEN/HEINAN WORLD OPEN/RANKING EVENT FEB/MARCH

11-14
Hainan World Open qualifiers (TBC)
Academy, Sheffield

17-20
Ranking event (Feb/Mar) qualifiers (TBC)
Academy, Sheffield

FEBRUARY

1-5
German Masters
Tempodrom, Berlin

8-11
Welsh Open Qualifiers
Academy

13-19
Welsh Open

SEEDING CUT OFF FOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

21-24
China Open Qualifiers
Academy

27 April-March 3
Ranking event TBC

MARCH

5-11
Hainan World Open (TBC)
Hainan, China

14-18
PTC Final

26 March - 1 April
China Open
Beijing, China

APRIL

4-15
Betfred.com World Championship Qualifiers
Badminton Hall, EIS

21 April - 7 May
Betfred.com World Championship
Crucible Theatre, Sheffield

END OF SEASON CUT OFF

theres a few changes the major one being that the World Qualifiers is not concluded until 6 days before the crucible stages despite cut off hapening mid february.

Seeding Cut offs look a bit messy to be honest with players playing 4 Ranking Events including PTC Finals with Seeding for the World Championship already decided and no Qualifiers played.

i hope for 2012/2013 season it looks better and more sensable we could have someone having a brilliant 3 event run end up in the top 16 and not at the World Championship.
Last edited by Wildey on 04 Sep 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

why couldnt the WC Cut off happen after the PTC Finals even the China Open ?

looks a bit stupid like that.

Snooker Fans has to get used to rolling Rankings and Roll with the punches this bullocks about not knowing whos playing is never a issue with Tennis so why should it be with Snooker ?

Postby Witz78

thats a complicated nonsense with qualifiers being played for tournaments after seedings cut offs when 17th may already be in top 16 and stupid that they have to then play a qualifier.

with the worlds qualifiers just before the Crucible its so simple just to have a cut off AFTER the China Open so the rankings / seedings are totally up to date and properly rolling so the true top 16 are def in Sheffield.

absolute joke this looking over it, players wont know whats going on

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:thats a complicated nonsense with qualifiers being played for tournaments after seedings cut offs when 17th may already be in top 16 and stupid that they have to then play a qualifier.

with the worlds qualifiers just before the Crucible its so simple just to have a cut off AFTER the China Open so the rankings / seedings are totally up to date and properly rolling so the true top 16 are def in Sheffield.

absolute joke this looking over it, players wont know whats going on

its shambolic isnt it

Postby Witz78

im actually refusing to look at it again cos it will just make my blood boil at the sheer stupdity of it. one flaw after another, whats the point of rolling rankings that arent used as much as possible, rolling rankings are system, base them on the last 2 years results as much as possible, these muppets cockerel up something simple by overlapping things, cut offs at illogical times etc.

Postby Wildey

Just Looking at the Current Callender and without the PTC and New Events it would look like this

July 7 to 10
Wuxi Classic

9 weeks

Sep 5-11
Shanghai Masters

12 weeks

Dec 3-11
UK Championship

5 weeks

Jan 15-22
The Masters

3 weeks

Feb 13-19
Welsh Open

8 days

Feb 27-March 3rd
World Open

3 weeks

March 26th-April 1st
China Open

3 weeks

April 21st-May 7th
World Championship

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:8 days?

why not just say a week..................

good point <laugh>

but it shows how little snooker we would have had up to now lol

Postby mishcka

Witz78 wrote:yeh but that calendar would have been a better one for the homesick players, international playbois, family men and fans who dont want snooker to grow into a proper sport.........

And those of us who are trying to do some work while at work, and find it impossible when snooker is on! I've got to work overtime everyweek since the start of the season, to cover for the hours i spent just staring at my pc at work! :D

Postby Wildey

mishcka wrote:
Witz78 wrote:yeh but that calendar would have been a better one for the homesick players, international playbois, family men and fans who dont want snooker to grow into a proper sport.........

And those of us who are trying to do some work while at work, and find it impossible when snooker is on! I've got to work overtime everyweek since the start of the season, to cover for the hours i spent just staring at my pc at work! :D

rofl