Post a reply

Re: Luca Brecel get a MT Wildcard

Postby Monique

I've watch him play quite a few times and I've seen how he reacts when things don't go his way. I have also witnessed how his entourage reacts and what king of hype/pressure is put on him. And he is not in least ready to face any kind of media interzaction which will nbe part of his duties on the MT if he is to succeed at any level.
IMO we have the perfect receipt for disaster.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:I've watch him play quite a few times and I've seen how he reacts when things don't go his way. I have also witnessed how his entourage reacts and what king of hype/pressure is put on him. And he is not in least ready to face any kind of media interzaction which will nbe part of his duties on the MT if he is to succeed at any level.
IMO we have the perfect receipt for disaster.

mon

as a woman and a mother you would not like him to go for Q School either ?

during the WC and that profile they put up on Q School competitors they said he had a phobia of the media by giving him this wild card its like throwing him to the lions then.

Postby Witz78

he did seem very young and petulant and childish for his then, 15 years at the Power Snooker event last year.

But he did possess a kinda arrogance about him, a younger version of a Maguire he reminded me off at the time i thought.

As for the media ban, i think that may be purposely led by his team, to add to the mystery around him.

Postby Wildey

ill be honest i dont know much about him only from youtube plus hype from magazines and the internet but its obvious to anyone he has talent and true ability.

im just not in favor of giving him extra pressure by making him a special choice on to the MT he should go through the trials and tribulation of trying to get there.

Postby Monique

I think that he should indeed go to the Q-school and try himself at it. If he goes through, then it will prove that he has enough maturity to stand a good chance on the MT. Succeeding as a pro is not all about knowing the shots. There is much more than that.
I've been branded an "ageist" in the past because I think that 16 is too young to be a pro. Well I do stick but that. Some might be ready, but they are the exceptions. Most are not and failing at it might have a massive destructive psychological effect. I would put the entry age limit at 18. As examples ... Guys like Anthony McGill or Jack Lisowski managed to keep their spots because they had the skills AND the maturity required to handle pro life. Michael White was seen as a huge talent, failed to stay on the tour and has not been convincing on his return. I'm not sure that the failure he had to cope with, after the junior success and the hype that came with it did him any good.

The media ban is nothing about "petulance" or "mystery" ... it's about being borderline autistic.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:I think that he should indeed go to the Q-school and try himself at it. If he goes through, then it will prove that he has enough maturity to stand a good chance on the MT. Succeeding as a pro is not all about knowing the shots. There is much more than that.
I've been branded an "ageist" in the past because I think that 16 is too young to be a pro. Well I do stick but that. Some might be ready, but they are the exceptions. Most are not and failing at it might have a massive destructive psychological effect. I would put the entry age limit at 18. As examples ... Guys like Anthony McGill or Jack Lisowski managed to keep their spots because they had the skills AND the maturity required to handle pro life. Michael White was seen as a huge talent, failed to stay on the tour and has not been convincing on his return. I'm not sure that the failure he had to cope with, after the junior success and the hype that came with it did him any good.

The media ban is nothing about "petulance" or "mystery" ... it's about being borderline autistic.

think when talking of kids they mature at different rate so saying 16 or 15 is not that simple i think ok make it 15 or make it 16 but look at those players individually study them see how mature they are and make judgement calls if they can handle it or not,,

i think we all agree the last thing we want to happen is to scare him shitless with the pressures he will be under in a foreign country that he sais sod it i want to go home.

Postby Monique

The problem Wild is that if you don't have the same rule for everyone then the people who have to make a decision will have to deal with pressures and biased views from the parents, coaches, entourage ... sometimes driven by misguided pride or ambitions and not necessarily in the interest of the youngster. Those people will not necessarily have first hand experience with the youngster, especially if they don't live in Britain.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Monique wrote:I think that he should indeed go to the Q-school and try himself at it. If he goes through, then it will prove that he has enough maturity to stand a good chance on the MT. Succeeding as a pro is not all about knowing the shots. There is much more than that.

think when talking of kids they mature at different rate so saying 16 or 15 is not that simple i think ok make it 15 or make it 16 but look at those players individually study them see how mature they are and make judgement calls if they can handle it or not,,

i think we all agree the last thing we want to happen is to scare him shitless with the pressures he will be under in a foreign country that he sais sod it i want to go home.

you couldnt do that

then thered be all sorts of accusations of bias and discrimination if some were deemed suitable and others werent :excite:

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:The problem Wild is that if you don't have the same rule for everyone then the people who have to make a decision will have to deal with pressures and biased views from the parents, coaches, entourage ... sometimes driven by misguided pride or ambitions and not necessarily in the interest of the youngster. Those people will not necessarily have first hand experience with the youngster, especially if they don't live in Britain.

yes i do see that.

does Luca want to be pro player now ? or does his parents want him to be a pro ?

its so easy to push a talent in a direction he doesn't want to go at this minute. you see it all the time.

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:
Monique wrote:The problem Wild is that if you don't have the same rule for everyone then the people who have to make a decision will have to deal with pressures and biased views from the parents, coaches, entourage ... sometimes driven by misguided pride or ambitions and not necessarily in the interest of the youngster. Those people will not necessarily have first hand experience with the youngster, especially if they don't live in Britain.

yes i do see that.

does Luca want to be pro player now ? or does his parents want him to be a pro ?

its so easy to push a talent in a direction he doesn't want to go at this minute. you see it all the time.

I'm not sure what Luca wants exactly, or rather if he knows exactly what's ahead of him in pro life, but I'm very sure that his father Carlo is pushing him very, very hard.

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:
Wild wrote:

yes i do see that.

I'm not sure what Luca wants exactly, or rather if he knows exactly what's ahead of him in pro life, but I'm very sure that his father Carlo is pushing him very, very hard.

it either works or it doesnt

Tiger Woods, Lewis Hamilton and Andy Murray the first ones that spring to mind when i think of sports stars who has pushy parents

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Monique wrote:
Wild wrote:

yes i do see that.

it either works or it doesnt

Tiger Woods, Lewis Hamilton and Andy Murray the first ones that spring to mind when i think of sports stars who has pushy parents

yes but don't forget Luca has a form of autism and a autism boy pushed hard is not a pretty sight.

Postby SnookerFan

I've not seen much of Luca Brecel. In fact the only match of his I've been able to see was the Power Snooker match, which means buck all.

Is he as good as people say he is, or is it bandwagon jumping by people who want a new young player from a different country to the UK?

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:I've not seen much of Luca Brecel. In fact the only match of his I've been able to see was the Power Snooker match, which means buck all.

Is he as good as people say he is, or is it bandwagon jumping by people who want a new young player from a different country to the UK?

well if its bandwagon jumping, then i jumped on the bandwagon 3 or 4 years ago. :bowdown:

theres still some space left if you and Wild want to hop on :boo:

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I've not seen much of Luca Brecel. In fact the only match of his I've been able to see was the Power Snooker match, which means buck all.

i think its a little bit of both

yes he is brilliant young talent from the continent but how much hes actually played against juniors in Britain im not to sure.

in Belgium hes a shark in a garden pond but in Britain he might be a goldfish in a ocean.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:And in 3 years time you could have him in your avatar <laugh>

rofl

well trump had to prove me wrong over many years

with brecel nobody knows nothing its to early he deserves his chance because he has actually qualified before but was to young to take his place.

i just wished he had gone through q school and then make a decition if there was a wild card to be given.

someone on TSF said but then he would rob someone else of a place if Brecel took one of the 12 spots. but my answer to that was so what its not charity for WSA Spots if someone wasent good enough they was not good enough but if they impressed during the Q School that person would get a Wild Card.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
well if its bandwagon jumping, then i jumped on the bandwagon 3 or 4 years ago. :bowdown:

If he's good, he's good. I'll give him his props. I was just enquiring, because literally the one match I saw him play was against Ronnie at a Power Snooker event. I might as well have watched him play Scrabble against his mum, for all that tells me about his snooker prowess.

But, as he seems that highly rated I wondered if anybody had seen him play any real matches...

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

If he's good, he's good. I'll give him his props. I was just enquiring, because literally the one match I saw him play was against Ronnie at a Power Snooker event. I might as well have watched him play Scrabble against his mum, for all that tells me about his snooker prowess.

But, as he seems that highly rated I wondered if anybody had seen him play any real matches...

monique has and she said hes gone backwards in the last year :chin:

Postby Witz78

April - European Under 19 champion having just turned 14
May - World Series of Snooker - beat Jimmy White 4-3, beat Ken Doherty 5-3, narrowly lost 5-4 to Dott
August - Paul Hunter Classic - beat Joe Perry 4-1

January - Beat Stephen Hendry 4-1 in exhibition match
March - Wins the European Snooker Championship
May - Beats Bjorn Haneveer 7-4 to win Belgian Snooker Championship
October - Makes the Quarter Finals of the inaugural Power Snooker Championship haha

this is just a brief glimpse of his pedigree.

having just turned 16 last month, he already has SEVENTEEN amateur titles under his belt and more success looks set to happen on the main tour as a pro

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:2009

May - World Series of Snooker - beat Jimmy White 4-3, beat Ken Doherty 5-3, narrowly lost 5-4 to Dott

October - Makes the Quarter Finals of the inaugural Power Snooker Championship haha

having just turned 16 last month, he already has SEVENTEEN amateur titles under his belt and more success looks set to happen on the main tour as a pro

surprised you mention world series of snooker :chin:

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:2009

surprised you mention world series of snooker :chin:

Mooney getting a life ban <doh> :grrr: :grrr:

Higgins getting 6 months :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

Hann getting 8 years :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:http://luca.brecel.com/luca-video/116-luca-brecel-122-break3min52sec.html

yes dont think nobody denies his immense talent

im pleased hes on the tour if its the right thing for him and that what he wants.

id just like to see him qualify or trying to first.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:http://luca.brecel.com/luca-video/116-luca-brecel-122-break3min52sec.html

im pleased hes on the tour if its the right thing for him and that what he wants.

i think the fact hes twice qualified by right in the past to be on the tour only to be stopped by red tape, has made it more justifiable for Hearn to get him on tour now <ok>

Postby Alex0paul

It will be interesting to see how he gets on against the established journeymen as he probably has never played against anything like that so far. He is clearly a good break builder but I wonder how good his safety game is.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

i think the fact hes twice qualified by right in the past to be on the tour only to be stopped by red tape, has made it more justifiable for Hearn to get him on tour now <ok>

yes there was nobody else more justified and who knows his name still involved in Q School so he might still go for it

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

yes there was nobody else more justified and who knows his name still involved in Q School so he might still go for it

well, apart from maybe David Gray again <doh>

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul wrote:It will be interesting to see how he gets on against the established journeymen as he probably has never played against anything like that so far. He is clearly a good break builder but I wonder how good his safety game is.

i think its safe to say no new pro has come across Barry Pinches until they turn pro and then they learn about tactics.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:It will be interesting to see how he gets on against the established journeymen as he probably has never played against anything like that so far. He is clearly a good break builder but I wonder how good his safety game is.

i think its safe to say no new pro has come across Barry Pinches until they turn pro and then they learn about tactics.

he plays Haneveer a lot whos a bit of a grinder.

infact he beat him 4-0 in March en route to winning a Belgian tournament, think he disposed of Kevin Van Hove (remember him?) in the final