Post a reply

Re: UK Championships Good News about York BUT....

Postby wheelsofsteel

Wild wrote:everything else is the right way forward

although ive never been much to london the Wembley Arena just felt wrong somehow lets hope Allexanda Pallace is better

ive been 5 or 6 times to telford ill be honest i hated it so that needed a new venue lets hope York can be it rightful home

and Brilliant that World Snooker is taking snooker to SWA

JUST this Reduction is whats snake hissing me off.

AllexANDA !

Zhang's Irish cousin

Postby Smart

wheelsofsteel wrote:
Wild wrote:everything else is the right way forward

although ive never been much to london the Wembley Arena just felt wrong somehow lets hope Allexanda Pallace is better

ive been 5 or 6 times to telford ill be honest i hated it so that needed a new venue lets hope York can be it rightful home

and Brilliant that World Snooker is taking snooker to SWA

JUST this Reduction is whats snake hissing me off.

AllexANDA !

Zhang's Irish cousin

5/10 <ok>

Postby Steve K

I think there is a place for longer format invitational events, but in qualifiers there is just so many players and matches to get through so it makes sense to reduce the format slightly, would of preffered best of 13's myself though.

Postby Smart

Steve K wrote:I think there is a place for longer format invitational events, but in qualifiers there is just so many players and matches to get through so it makes sense to reduce the format slightly, would of preffered best of 13's myself though.

Steve :hatoff:

Are you going to Gloucester for the qualifiers :win: :wave: <ok>

Postby Wildey

Steve K wrote:I think there is a place for longer format invitational events, but in qualifiers there is just so many players and matches to get through so it makes sense to reduce the format slightly, would of preffered best of 13's myself though.

so why not just toss a coin that way we could get through all the qualifying matches in about 15 minutes.

Postby Roland

Steve K wrote:Would like to visit for some of it definitely. Also going to the Pink Ribbon next month and foolishly entering to play in it!

Nice one. Hope I play you if your high break is 24 <laugh>

Postby Dannyboy

I think the reduction is a good idea - there is no need for long qualification processes except for the World Championship. 99% of the time the same player will win.

It's a shame the Masters is moving away from its spiritual home of Wembley. However, the lack of atmosphere and the big cost of running the tournament may have changed things. Uncle Barry has a long association with Alexandra Palace through the PDC and other events. I went to Ally Pally in December for the PDC World Championship. It must be one of the best venues in London.

The venue will hold about 2-3,000 snooker fans in the West Hall (the smaller of the two halls). The architecture, history and grandeur of the place gives the tournament the profile its deserves.

The other move to the Barbican in York just had to happen. Telford was killing the tournament. Maybe Uncle Barry could increase the amount of frames in the Semis to Bo25 and the Final back to Bo31. There isn't enough difference between the quarters and the final. It would only add 2 days onto the tournament. Hopefully it will still be in York for the significant future. Having said that, the British Broadcasting Cuts Corporation making cutbacks in all sports, I can't see the UK Championship being broacasted by the Beeb much longer. It is next IMO.

I also heard that the Welsh Open is being moved to Llanelli? I read somewhere that it could mean the death of the tournament? IMO the Welsh Open is a waste of time as a proper ranking event. It probably needs to be reduced to a PTC event. The players care little, the ranking points are low and the prize money is lower than other events.

Postby Wildey

My concern EVERYTHING is in reduction NOTHING is in increasing.

fair enough playing best of 11 qualifiers but why not increase the final to best of 31.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:My concern EVERYTHING is in reduction NOTHING is in increasing.

fair enough playing best of 11 qualifiers but why not increase the final to best of 31.

the world championship final this year INCREASED by 6 frames compared to last year :D

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:York has a Reflex nightclub, thats good enough reason for me to head to York for the UK Champs !!!

rofl rofl

Postby Tubberlad

Dannyboy wrote:I think the reduction is a good idea - there is no need for long qualification processes except for the World Championship. 99% of the time the same player will win.

It's a shame the Masters is moving away from its spiritual home of Wembley. However, the lack of atmosphere and the big cost of running the tournament may have changed things. Uncle Barry has a long association with Alexandra Palace through the PDC and other events. I went to Ally Pally in December for the PDC World Championship. It must be one of the best venues in London.

The venue will hold about 2-3,000 snooker fans in the West Hall (the smaller of the two halls). The architecture, history and grandeur of the place gives the tournament the profile its deserves.

The other move to the Barbican in York just had to happen. Telford was killing the tournament. Maybe Uncle Barry could increase the amount of frames in the Semis to Bo25 and the Final back to Bo31. There isn't enough difference between the quarters and the final. It would only add 2 days onto the tournament. Hopefully it will still be in York for the significant future. Having said that, the British Broadcasting Cuts Corporation making cutbacks in all sports, I can't see the UK Championship being broacasted by the Beeb much longer. It is next IMO.

I also heard that the Welsh Open is being moved to Llanelli? I read somewhere that it could mean the death of the tournament? IMO the Welsh Open is a waste of time as a proper ranking event. It probably needs to be reduced to a PTC event. The players care little, the ranking points are low and the prize money is lower than other events.

Welcome to the forun :hatoff:

Interesting first post that one.

The only experience I have of Ally Pally from a viewing perspective is of course from watching the Darts. It looks a serious venue in fairness, can't wait to see what they do with it for the snooker and how the whole thing wll work. The place has a bitof history behind it, which is good for the tournament.

On the UK, I'm not sure about it being cut by the Beeb, could happen, I don't know. But the move back to the Barbican is positive. On the subject of an extended tournament, it's something I'd love to see happen. I think a UK final should be at least best-of-25, I tell you what that's a cracking format and works really well for the Worlds. I'd like to best-of-25 semi-finals and best-of-31 final, but unforutnately it's not wholly realistic under Hearn.

Never been too fussed about the Welsh Open in all honesty...

Postby Witz78

with the increased viewing figures for the Worlds, the Beeb will surely drop any notions they have to pull the plug on another snooker tournament.

remember the snooker revival has only just begun, things will get better.

Put it this way, lots of folk i know who saw snooker as unfashionable and thought i was sad for being so into it, are suddenly watching it again.

Postby Wildey

in the past there was best of 25 and 23 3 session finals and they finished on the sunday afternoon.

i just think at the moment the emphasis on reduction is going berserk just where will it end.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:in the past there was best of 25 and 23 3 session finals and they finished on the sunday afternoon.

i just think at the moment the emphasis on reduction is going berserk just where will it end.

the Sky black ball shootout ;-)

Postby Wildey

i am all for change in formats but heres a idea change of format can actually mean increasing nobody thought of that :john:

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:with the increased viewing figures for the Worlds, the Beeb will surely drop any notions they have to pull the plug on another snooker tournament.

Put it this way, lots of folk i know who saw snooker as unfashionable and thought i was sad for being so into it, are suddenly watching it again.

I don't think I've ever noticed it being seen as particularly unfashionable, but not a mainstream sport granted. All my friends actually seem to like the snooker (well, not the women), but only seemed to follow during the Worlds and became overnight experts.

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:
Witz78 wrote:with the increased viewing figures for the Worlds, the Beeb will surely drop any notions they have to pull the plug on another snooker tournament.

I don't think I've ever noticed it being seen as particularly unfashionable, but not a mainstream sport granted. All my friends actually seem to like the snooker (well, not the women), but only seemed to follow during the Worlds and became overnight experts.

god yes i got people approaching me every year after the worlds as snooker experts rest of the year they cant be bothered.

Postby Wildey

but thats not only snooker there's FA Cup final experts and if you asked who the players in the teams was they have not got a clue.

then theres the British GP Experts

Grand National Experts

6 nation Rugby experts.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:but thats not only snooker there's FA Cup final experts and if you asked who the players in the teams was they have not got a clue.

Grand National Experts

6 nation Rugby experts.

Wimbledon too the classic one when the country goes tennis mad for a couple of weeks

strawberries and cream washed down with some Robinsons Barley Water :spot on:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:but thats not only snooker there's FA Cup final experts and if you asked who the players in the teams was they have not got a clue.

Grand National Experts

6 nation Rugby experts.

Wimbledon too the classic one when the country goes tennis mad for a couple of weeks

strawberries and cream washed down with some Robinsons Barley Water :spot on:

im one of them experts rofl

hate strawberries though so i get in strawberry ice cream <laugh>

Postby Dannyboy

Witz78 wrote:with the increased viewing figures for the Worlds, the Beeb will surely drop any notions they have to pull the plug on another snooker tournament. Remember the snooker revival has only just begun, things will get better.

To be honest, at times this season I simply got bored of snooker. I was a little annoyed at all the players not turning up to events - Ronnie especially, waiting until 2 days before an event and deciding he couldn't be bothered to get off his backside. Also, giving all the players these extra playing opportunities and not taking them! I just thought - why bother supporting this sport?

The Sky Shoot Out brung back my interest in snooker - it was fast, exciting and Sky were brilliant broadcasters. The recent World Championship this season was a fantastic occasion. One of the best finals in history IMO.

On the Beeb - this is an extract from an article the BBC published on their website on the cuts...

There will be less coverage of those sports and events that fall outside our main editorial priorities. This does not mean we will stop covering them altogether, it's more a question of "turning down the volume" of what we do outside the biggest stories.

Now what does this mean for other sports, not just snooker? What sports are the Beeb going to concentrate far more on? Obviously football, rugby, tennis and cricket, the four biggest sports in the country. But does F1 deserve the amount of money and coverage it gets at the expense of other sports? Wimbledon and F1 cost the licence fee payer £70m per year.

Postby SnookerFan

Grand National Experts

6 nation Rugby experts.

That's the thing. That's how I dictate snooker is my favourite sport. I follow the England rugby team (6 Nations, summer/autumn tours, World Cup) but watch bog all club rugby, I watch when West Brom and England play but very little other football outside of looking results up on the internet. Snooker I watch when it's on, whether it be The Crucible final or the Chinalife Classic. The only real snooker I get bored of and stop following at all is the Premier League because I find it rubbish clock repetitive bullocks.

I still hate it when other people are casual fans of stuff I like though. <laugh>

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:

Grand National Experts

6 nation Rugby experts.

That's the thing. That's how I dictate snooker is my favourite sport. I follow the England rugby team (6 Nations, summer/autumn tours, World Cup) but watch bog all club rugby, I watch when West Brom and England play but very little other football outside of looking results up on the internet. Snooker I watch when it's on, whether it be The Crucible final or the Chinalife Classic. The only real snooker I get bored of and stop following at all is the Premier League because I find it rubbish clock repetitive bullocks.

I still hate it when other people are casual fans of stuff I like though. <laugh>

yeh theres nothing worse for me, as a dancing fan to see casual fans thinking a quick boogie to Abba once a month in their local discotheque classifies them as experts :grrr:

oops, i just mentioned dancing didnt i :chuckle:

Postby Wildey

Dannyboy wrote:
Witz78 wrote:with the increased viewing figures for the Worlds, the Beeb will surely drop any notions they have to pull the plug on another snooker tournament. Remember the snooker revival has only just begun, things will get better.

To be honest, at times this season I simply got bored of snooker. I was a little annoyed at all the players not turning up to events - Ronnie especially, waiting until 2 days before an event and deciding he couldn't be bothered to get off his backside. Also, giving all the players these extra playing opportunities and not taking them! I just thought - why bother supporting this sport?

The Sky Shoot Out brung back my interest in snooker - it was fast, exciting and Sky were brilliant broadcasters. The recent World Championship this season was a fantastic occasion. One of the best finals in history IMO.

On the Beeb - this is an extract from an article the BBC published on their website on the cuts...

There will be less coverage of those sports and events that fall outside our main editorial priorities. This does not mean we will stop covering them altogether, it's more a question of "turning down the volume" of what we do outside the biggest stories.

Now what does this mean for other sports, not just snooker? What sports are the Beeb going to concentrate far more on? Obviously football, rugby, tennis and cricket, the four biggest sports in the country. But does F1 deserve the amount of money and coverage it gets at the expense of other sports? Wimbledon and F1 cost the licence fee payer £70m per year.

to be honest the BBC Cover more snooker than any of the other sports you mentioned on a annual basis.

there was average of about 6 hours terrestrial coverage for 17 days at the crucible thats over 100 hours or translated to 50 live football matches..

Postby Jake

What about a tournament in the West Midlands? If I want to watch Snooker I have to travel loads, not even Legends comes anywhere near here! The good thing about Telford was I could decide on the day to go.