Post a reply

Re: Tour Qualification !!!!

Postby roy142857

Wild wrote:
roy142857 wrote:
Wild wrote:
only one more spot available for the tour the EBSA Champion that tournament will be played during the second week in June.

Excuse my ignorance, but what happens if the EBSA champion is someone who already has a tour place? I saw both Adam Duffy on the list of players at http://www.esnooker.pl/turnieje/2011/me/en/mem_2011.php - or do they now have to withdraw from the EBSA tournament?

good question :chin:

Just looked at the list again, and see there's - an American player - in a European Championship ?!? That would be an interesting way of getting an American on the Pro Tour ! The player's Alex Kopel - dual nationality perhaps?

Postby Wildey

BTW Roy Welcome to the island <ok>

Postby roy142857

Wild wrote:BTW Roy Welcome to the island <ok>

Thanks vm - felt I had to join as this question was really bugging me - don't know why.

And generally I've been re-enthused by the changes over the past year, had rather lost interest in recent years. I liked the Q School idea too, enjoyed reading about it in various places on the internet - although I'd like to see another round of it rather than so many nominations and wild cards (or at least if there are going to be wild cards let them be for overall performance amongst non-qualifiers from the Q school)

Postby Witz78

I can exclusively confirm that the Yank in question WILL be on tour next season one way or another next season, be it with 101 players on tour AND that a 12 man tournament shall take place in Philadelphia in March 2012 consisting of 8 top players plus 4 U.S. Wildcards.

Great news and further proof of the games expansion worldwide under Barry.

Postby Witz78

I can exclusively confirm that the Yank in question WILL be on tour next season one way or another next season, be it with 101 players on tour AND that a 12 man tournament shall take place in Philadelphia in March 2012 consisting of 8 top players plus 4 U.S. Wildcards.

Postby Witz78

Postby Gacherz

Seeing as Figueiredo doesn't look likely to take up his tour place, is there likely to be another wildcard appointed or just stick with 99? I suppose it would save 93rd place (or whichever low ranked player) playing the extra qualifying round if Igor wasn't replaced.

If there is another wildcard I'd like to see someone who came close in the Q School, particularly Chen Zhe or Zhang Anda given a chance. Or perhaps even Thepchaiya Un-Nooh seeing as he's won the recent tournament in Phuket.

Postby Gacherz

Seeing as Figueiredo doesn't look likely to take up his tour place, is there likely to be another wildcard appointed or just stick with 99? I suppose it would save 93rd place (or whichever low ranked player) playing the extra qualifying round if Igor wasn't replaced.

If there is another wildcard I'd like to see someone who came close in the Q School, particularly Chen Zhe or Zhang Anda given a chance. Or perhaps even Thepchaiya Un-Nooh seeing as he's won the recent tournament in Phuket.

Postby Witz78

Witz78 wrote:I can exclusively confirm that the Yank in question WILL be on tour next season one way or another next season, be it with 101 players on tour AND that a 12 man tournament shall take place in Philadelphia in March 2012 consisting of 8 top players plus 4 U.S. Wildcards.

the things you write when you roll in drunk at 3am :john:

Postby Dannyboy

If this American rumour is true, it is a massive step forward for snooker. If you get an American market, the sport will grow astronomically. Darts failed in the United States; maybe snooker will be different.

Postby Witz78

theres at least 2 darts players on the PDC tour who whilst not being among the best are far from pushovers.

if the Yanks dont make an impact / have an interest in darts, why is then that in US films and tv shows since the 70s there always seems to be a dartboard hanging up on a wall somewhere during the film. ?

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:theres at least 2 darts players on the PDC tour who whilst not being among the best are far from pushovers.

if the Yanks dont make an impact / have an interest in darts, why is then that in US films and tv shows since the 70s there always seems to be a dartboard hanging up on a wall somewhere during the film. ?

yes but probably they see darts as buck about snake hissed in a pub where as we made money out of it.

Postby Alex0paul

Third time he has been nominated without getting on.

Postby Witz78

Alex0paul wrote:Third time he has been nominated without getting on.

About time the luck of the Oirish came to an end

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:I can exclusively confirm that the Yank in question WILL be on tour next season one way or another next season, be it with 101 players on tour AND that a 12 man tournament shall take place in Philadelphia in March 2012 consisting of 8 top players plus 4 U.S. Wildcards.

We heard you the first time.

Postby SnookerFan

I'm interested to hear about a couple of players from the USA coming through. I did notice an advert on one snooker site or another for some amateur tournament happening over there. I can't remember the specifics.

For those of you more in the know of these things, is it something that is widely played over there? I can't see it as a sport that the Yanks will get into on a wide scale. At least when it comes to watching of it. But is it something that people are taking up playing there, instead of pool?

Postby Wildey

Tour Qualification for 2012/2013 season http://www.worldsnooker.com/staticFiles ... 126,00.pdf

Top 64 from the official (two-year) World Ranking list at the end of 2012 World Championship = 64
Top 8 players from 2011/2012 PTC Order of Merit not in top 64 on the official World Ranking List after 2012 World Championship = 8
Q School = 12
IBSF (World Champion and U21 Champion) = 2
ACBS (Asian Champion and U21 Champion) = 2
EBSA (European Champion and U21 Champion) = 2
Asia (2 x China, 1 x Thailand, 1 x India) = 4
Europe = 2
Canada = 1
Oceania = 1
Africa = 1

TOTAL= 99

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:Africa? Canada?

how is that a surprise

Canada has a World Champion and a Masters Champion

South Africa has a Ranking Event Winner and Masters Champion as well as a World Championship Runner Up.

its about time Snooker was Braught Back to thoes Countries.

Postby JIMO96

Wild wrote:Tour Qualification for 2012/2013 season http://www.worldsnooker.com/staticFiles ... 126,00.pdf

Top 64 from the official (two-year) World Ranking list at the end of 2012 World Championship = 64
Top 8 players from 2011/2012 PTC Order of Merit not in top 64 on the official World Ranking List after 2012 World Championship = 8
Q School = 12
Europe = 2
Canada = 1
Oceania = 1
Africa = 1

TOTAL= 99

Brilliant news. I recommend Alex Pagulayan, Quinten Hann & Peter Francisco for the last 3 ;-)

No UK NGB nominations?? I guess Hearn has noticed finally the word "World" in WSA.

Postby roy142857

JIMO96 wrote:
Wild wrote:Tour Qualification for 2012/2013 season http://www.worldsnooker.com/staticFiles ... 126,00.pdf

Q School = 12
Europe = 2
Canada = 1
Oceania = 1
Africa = 1

TOTAL= 99

Brilliant news. I recommend Alex Pagulayan, Quinten Hann & Peter Francisco for the last 3 ;-)

No UK NGB nominations?? I guess Hearn has noticed finally the word "World" in WSA.

Seems (more than) a bit unfair on the players who've been playing in UK NGB tournaments designed to select the most competitive players to nominate, especially this far into the season. Although the leader in the Irish Tour has said he wouldn't take up a place.

Unless they (the UK NGB nominations) are possibly covered by the 2 places listed as Europe? A play-off competition for places between European NGB's wouldn't be so silly, just not much time left to organise it.

The timing of the start of the season and the timing of the EBSA European Championship are a potential problem, as has been noted elsewhere, as the EBSA winner misses some qualifying tournaments at the start of the season.

{edit} Is the Oceania place for the winner of the Oceania Championship which starts tomorrow I believe?

Postby roy142857

Snooker HQ has an interesting commentary on this from the Irish perspective:

http://snookerhq.com/2012/03/21/ireland ... omination/

.... and just a quick correction and extra comment re the Oceania Championship, it starts on the 25th, I've just checked the entry list and no Vinnie Calabrese but LOTS of other Australians - of 50 entries only 5 from New Zealand, 4 from PNG and 2 from Fiji are not Aussies.

Postby Wildey

roy142857 wrote:Snooker HQ has an interesting commentary on this from the Irish perspective:

http://snookerhq.com/2012/03/21/ireland ... omination/

.... and just a quick correction and extra comment re the Oceania Championship, it starts on the 25th, I've just checked the entry list and no Vinnie Calabrese but LOTS of other Australians - of 50 entries only 5 from New Zealand, 4 from PNG and 2 from Fiji are not Aussies.

Mate its up to British Players to Make the Best of Q School its not as simple for Canadians,Australians,Indians at the Moment so i Back this Move however in Future id Like all these Nominations Scraped and get Q Schools on Globally...

Postby Wildey

and to be fair to world snooker having the Likes of David Hogan Qualifying for the Tour and then Decide not to bother is not the Best way for Irish Snooker.

Welsh Open
World Open
China Open

NO David Hogan who finished top of the Irish Rankings and Got Nominated

Postby JIMO96

Wild wrote:and to be fair to world snooker having the Likes of David Hogan Qualifying for the Tour and then Decide not to bother is not the Best way for Irish Snooker.

Welsh Open
World Open
China Open

I'd like to know why Hogan, Joe Meara and Scott MacKenzie all failed to enter the later ranking events. I presume it was something to do with expenses, but WSA keep tight lipped about such things. Nevertheless, it doesn't look good when an NGB nomination doesn't take full advantage of such a privilege.

The announcement of the tour make-up for next season came very "all of a sudden" and I can understand why the likes of the EASB are annoyed, but the fact remains that UK players have more than enough opportunities on their own doorstep to qualify. Bring on the global expansion I say.

Postby Skullman

JIMO96 wrote:
Wild wrote:and to be fair to world snooker having the Likes of David Hogan Qualifying for the Tour and then Decide not to bother is not the Best way for Irish Snooker.

Welsh Open
World Open
China Open

I'd like to know why Hogan, Joe Meara and Scott MacKenzie all failed to enter the later ranking events. I presume it was something to do with expenses, but WSA keep tight lipped about such things. Nevertheless, it doesn't look good when an NGB nomination doesn't take full advantage of such a privilege.

The announcement of the tour make-up for next season came very "all of a sudden" and I can understand why the likes of the EASB are annoyed, but the fact remains that UK players have more than enough opportunities on their own doorstep to qualify. Bring on the global expansion I say.

Maybe they decided not to bother because they knew they couldn't stay on the tour :shrug:

PS why would the WSA know if Hogan, Meara and MacKenzie didn't enter tournaments because of expenses?

Postby JIMO96

Well I would presume they'd seek a reason for non-entry (like O'Sullivan, Carter etc). It's just not the kind of thing they'd make public if expenditure was the reason.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:
JIMO96 wrote:

Welsh Open
World Open
China Open

The announcement of the tour make-up for next season came very "all of a sudden" and I can understand why the likes of the EASB are annoyed, but the fact remains that UK players have more than enough opportunities on thei r own doorstep to qualify. Bring on the global expansion I say.

Maybe they decided not to bother because they knew they couldn't stay on the tour :shrug:

PS why would the WSA know if Hogan, Meara and MacKenzie didn't enter tournaments because of expenses?

yes but if they quit mid season they really havent got the ambition in the first place,

you got to go at it hell for leather quitting= losers.

im sorry but the money issue bore me it costs money at any sport before you make it big.