Post a reply

Re: Tour Qualification !!!!

Postby Alex0paul

Wild wrote:whats this bullocks about

Anthony McGill ‏ @antsmcgill

@Craigie147 It's a bloody expensive sport!!! I'm good, World qualifiers next week so a good run in that would be nice! What you been upto?

Stephen Craigie ‏ @Craigie147

@antsmcgill yea lost sponsor so didnt really have a choice. Yea good luck, hope you do well! I aint bin up to much, jus lookin for work tbh!

how is snooker a bloody expensive sport compared to other individual sports.

GOLF EQUIPMENT

TENNIS RACKETS

SKIING EQUIPMENTS

Come on guys compared to other sports snooker is cheap when you start off all you need is a cue and chalk and you away.

yes Tennis and Golf players that make it big are on to more money but everyone starts in the same place as a baby that grows up to persue a chosen sport and persuing Tennis and Golf costs more as young players than Snooker does.

All well and good having a cue and chalk but what about the amount of money needed to either buy a table or the price of all the hours of practice at the club?

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul wrote:
Wild wrote:whats this bullocks about

Anthony McGill ‏ @antsmcgill

@Craigie147 It's a bloody expensive sport!!! I'm good, World qualifiers next week so a good run in that would be nice! What you been upto?

Stephen Craigie ‏ @Craigie147

@antsmcgill yea lost sponsor so didnt really have a choice. Yea good luck, hope you do well! I aint bin up to much, jus lookin for work tbh!

how is snooker a bloody expensive sport compared to other individual sports.

GOLF EQUIPMENT

TENNIS RACKETS

SKIING EQUIPMENTS

Come on guys compared to other sports snooker is cheap when you start off all you need is a cue and chalk and you away.

yes Tennis and Golf players that make it big are on to more money but everyone starts in the same place as a baby that grows up to persue a chosen sport and persuing Tennis and Golf costs more as young players than Snooker does.

All well and good having a cue and chalk but what about the amount of money needed to either buy a table or the price of all the hours of practice at the club?

yes right as if tennis courts ski slopes and golf courses are free with the equipments

Postby Roland

If he can't afford to enter Q School, who are you to tell him he can?

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:If he can't afford to enter Q School, who are you to tell him he can?

if he cant he cant but mcgill bullshitting about snooker being a bloody expensive sport hasent a clue in hell.

in the grand scheme of things snooker is just about the cheapest....

Postby Roland

:roll:

It is bloody expensive if you've been entering tournaments, winning matches and find yourself out of pocket to the tune of several grand.

Postby snooky147

Wild wrote:
Sonny wrote:If he can't afford to enter Q School, who are you to tell him he can?

if he cant he cant but mcgill bullshitting about snooker being a bloody expensive sport hasent a clue in hell.

in the grand scheme of things snooker is just about the cheapest....

Sorry mate, but you haven't got a clue if you think that without a sponsor to cover at least your table time in practice that snooker is cheap?. Take conservatively 5 hours a day on a half decent table at around £5 an hour (probably more) 5 days a week is £125 a week not including entrance fees to pro ams etc and the associated table fees if you lose. Oh and there the national tourneys and the entrance, costs and travel associated with that too. Cheap it aint.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote::roll:

It is bloody expensive if you've been entering tournaments, winning matches and find yourself out of pocket to the tune of several grand.

mate how do you honestly think any spoert man or women can afford it in other sports then ...

the furthest british snooker players needs to travel for tournaments qualifying is sheffield other sports you have to travel the world as a rookie.

Postby Wildey

look im not saying its cheap but when it comes to sport its by far the cheapest for rookie players than in any other sport.

so for someone to say snooker is bloody expensive he hasent a bucking clue.

Postby Roland

Even if he's living it for real and has no money....

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Even if he's living it for real and has no money....

did i say he has to enter if he hasent the money ? NO I DID NOT

did i say snooker is cheap to enter ? NO I DID NOT

I SAID

Snooker in comparison to other sport is as cheap as it gets so the line Snooker is a bloody expensive sport just dont cut it as if other sports cost sod all to turn pro in.

Postby Roland

Ah shaddup

I'm gonna be interviewing Kyren tomorrow so any questions for the lad ask here. Same goes for Oli. Both interviews will be published prior to the start of Q School and both have a good chance to qualify.

Postby roy142857

Two more players to add to Q School

Following on from the invitation from World Snooker to each of the 5 British Isles National Governing Bodies to enter 2 players each into Q School (instead of having one direct place on the Pro Tour), Northern Ireland have held a meeting and decided to nominate Declan Brennan and Jordan Brown (2nd and 6th on the ranking list). This decision was made now as World Snooker's deadline for the NGBs is 20th April and the final tour event in Northern Ireland doesn't complete until 22nd April.

I'm only guessing how they selected these two players, but presume other players weren't interested (or weren't available on those dates).

Postby Skullman

Just heard that Aditya Mehta has got the Indian tourcard. Don't think anyone else would deserve it, as it seems from the amateur section he usually does very well in all the Indian tournaments.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Just heard that Aditya Mehta has got the Indian tourcard. Don't think anyone else would deserve it, as it seems from the amateur section he usually does very well in all the Indian tournaments.

yes but how unfair is that he was fortunatly to be born a indian so he gets a wild card for life because nobody else deserves it.

english players are handicaped because they have to actually win matches to get on tour.

Postby roy142857

Wild wrote:
Skullman wrote:Just heard that Aditya Mehta has got the Indian tourcard. Don't think anyone else would deserve it, as it seems from the amateur section he usually does very well in all the Indian tournaments.

yes but how unfair is that he was fortunatly to be born a indian so he gets a wild card for life because nobody else deserves it.

english players are handicaped because they have to actually win matches to get on tour.

Mixed feelings about this - certainly think they should have waited to see if he won the Asian Championship first, not sure what they will do now if he does (or if Hossein Vafaei Ayouri wins, come to that).

I take your point Wild to some extent, but non-British players are also handicapped by where Q School is held ...

Postby Skullman

Wild wrote:

He can't help it if he's the best player in his country. Although I'm not keen on the whole country nominations thing either. Think more Q-Schools and winners of regional championships personally.

Postby Wildey

roy142857 wrote:
Wild wrote:

Mixed feelings about this - certainly think they should have waited to see if he won the Asian Championship first, not sure what they will do now if he does (or if Hossein Vafaei Ayouri wins, come to that).

I take your point Wild to some extent, but non-British players are also handicapped by where Q School is held ...

yes but has Aditya Mehta qualify for venues no he hasent suerly that has to be a criteria for players the likes of Baird has had 2 venues and hes falling off and meheta getting a spot for being indian just seems wrong.

Postby Wildey

David Hendon ‏ @davehendon

Alas, Alex Pagulayan has decided not to take up his main tour place from North America

Postby Monique

Wild WC wrote:

Alas, Alex Pagulayan has decided not to take up his main tour place from North America

Big shame this. I'd like to know why.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Wild WC wrote:

Most Proberbly the Traveling involved

dont know much about his Pool Career but my guess is the Tour is very much US Based.

Postby Alpha

Wild WC wrote:
Monique wrote:
Wild WC wrote:

dont know much about his Pool Career but my guess is the Tour is very much US Based.

I hate to say it but he probably looked at the costs involved, the fact he will have to base himself in the UK to give himself a proper chance and the possibility that his pool career will be interrupted and decided it just wasn't worth it.

Postby Wildey

Alpha wrote:
Wild WC wrote:
Monique wrote:
Wild WC wrote:

I hate to say it but he probably looked at the costs involved, the fact he will have to base himself in the UK to give himself a proper chance and the possibility that his pool career will be interrupted and decided it just wasn't worth it.

theres no doubt he would make more money in pool as a big fish rather than a little fish in the snooker world.

Postby Alpha

And his age is counting against him as well, he's 36. Shame because I was looking forward to seeing him, but he's better off where he is.

Postby Wildey

Alpha wrote:And his age is counting against him as well, he's 36. Shame because I was looking forward to seeing him, but he's better off where he is.

yes if he came over now and having a great debut he would proberbly be about 40 before aproaching the type of cash hes on now.

Re: Q School 2012

Postby roy142857

Witz78 wrote:
Monique wrote:No we will not see many drop out next season and I expect the tour to be extended to 128. It's the 2013/14 season that will see the changes, when those entering now will have had their 2 years.

its still pretty crap how WS have took this decision to hinder any of the new guys making a serious go of getting into the top 64 and thus one less qualifying game and a better chance of earning money.

the SIMPLE SOLUTION would have been this.

give all the guys out of the top 64 starter points so there starting a SINGLE token point below 64th placed man (Barry Pinches on a 2 year total of 20,495) so these guys would all start on 20,494 points.

They would lose points throughout the season at the cut offs on a pro rata basis

In effect it would mean the newcomers were getting a fair crack of the whip to enter the top 64.

even if theres a no relegation rule implemented so Pinches and others who would prob drop below 64th would be saved, at least this system wouldnt half progress for new guys.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ALSO

with the order of merit being calculated in tandem with the current ranking points system, with a view to this kicking in, in 2 years time..........WHAT CHANCE do the young guys have of getting a good ranking when season 2014-15 starts, as the seeds in top 16, 32, 48 will be picking up £££££s towards their ranking even if they lose compared to the low ranked guys who are totally up against it having to win a few games before they even get any £££ to count towards their rankings.

2 QUESTIONS

Will losing seeds get the same ££££ prize money towards their rankings as quaifiers who reach the same round ???

How will qualifiers who win 1 or 2 games but dont earn any money, be any better off in the rankings than guys who get beat in the 1st qualifying round?

Whilst I like your simple solution, I'd like even better a more radical solution if we're in a situation where no-one is being relegated in 12 months time ... taking advantage of that to really shake up the rankings order by putting everyone on ZERO points from previous years a short way into the season. Allocate places in draws for say the first 3 - 4 months of the season by the old points plus any new points accumulated, and then simply do away with all points from previous seasons and base everything on points from this season.

Postby Wildey

roy142857 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Monique wrote:No we will not see many drop out next season and I expect the tour to be extended to 128. It's the 2013/14 season that will see the changes, when those entering now will have had their 2 years.

its still pretty crap how WS have took this decision to hinder any of the new guys making a serious go of getting into the top 64 and thus one less qualifying game and a better chance of earning money.

give all the guys out of the top 64 starter points so there starting a SINGLE token point below 64th placed man (Barry Pinches on a 2 year total of 20,495) so these guys would all start on 20,494 points.

They would lose points throughout the season at the cut offs on a pro rata basis

In effect it would mean the newcomers were getting a fair crack of the whip to enter the top 64.

even if theres a no relegation rule implemented so Pinches and others who would prob drop below 64th would be saved, at least this system wouldnt half progress for new guys.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ALSO

with the order of merit being calculated in tandem with the current ranking points system, with a view to this kicking in, in 2 years time..........WHAT CHANCE do the young guys have of getting a good ranking when season 2014-15 starts, as the seeds in top 16, 32, 48 will be picking up £££££s towards their ranking even if they lose compared to the low ranked guys who are totally up against it having to win a few games before they even get any £££ to count towards their rankings.

2 QUESTIONS

Will losing seeds get the same ££££ prize money towards their rankings as quaifiers who reach the same round ???

How will qualifiers who win 1 or 2 games but dont earn any money, be any better off in the rankings than guys who get beat in the 1st qualifying round?

Whilst I like your simple solution, I'd like even better a more radical solution if we're in a situation where no-one is being relegated in 12 months time ... taking advantage of that to really shake up the rankings order by putting everyone on ZERO points from previous years a short way into the season. Allocate places in draws for say the first 3 - 4 months of the season by the old points plus any new points accumulated, and then simply do away with all points from previous seasons and base everything on points from this season.

yea BUT that will force players to enter Australia and Wuxi another form of "BLACKMAIL" lol

otherwise we could have the Likes of John Higgins having to play 2 or even 3 Qualifiers for the UK Championship because he has said he wont go to Wuxi or Australia.

Postby roy142857

Wild WC wrote:
roy142857 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

ALSO

2 QUESTIONS

yea BUT that will force players to enter Australia and Wuxi another form of "BLACKMAIL" lol

otherwise we could have the Likes of John Higgins having to play 2 or even 3 Qualifiers for the UK Championship because he has said he wont go to Wuxi or Australia.

Almost tempted to say 'and why not', but if you made the cut off for old points say after the event in Poland, still plenty of opportunities for top players to accumulate enough points to avoid qualifiers - and if not, so be it!

Postby Wildey

well im all for blackmail i seriously think at the moment players should be forced to enter events then in 5 or 6 years think of best of results when the sport is trully back on it feet but i think the PTC Will only grow if Top players suport them.

Postby snooky147

Wild WC wrote:well im all for blackmail i seriously think at the moment players should be forced to enter events then in 5 or 6 years think of best of results when the sport is trully back on it feet but i think the PTC Will only grow if Top players suport them.

There is a tick box against all the events the players enter. Dont tick it it and your not in it. Those who dont have that right, even if they do suffer ranking points. NO ONE should be blackmailed into entering anything. And I'll say one more thing again. 90 percent of today's players dont give a flying monkey's about the FUTURE of the game. And again that's their right......or wrong. :sad:

Postby Witz78

the fact the ranking "points" for the Majors are grossly undervalued still for the next 2 years (until Order of Merit kicks in) means the top guys will be blackmailed to an extent to play in the so called smaller events to maintain their ranking.