Post a reply

Re: Speed it up ...

Postby Bourne

GJ wrote:
Bourne wrote:GJ what did you think about Robbo starting to slow down his game and grind away in the World final last year against Dott to win ?

if he was well over 30 secs a shot he was in the wrong

So you are in favour of a 30 second shot clock ?

Postby vodkadiet

Bourne wrote:GJ what did you think about Robbo starting to slow down his game and grind away in the World final last year against Dott to win ?

Robbo's tactic was fair. He knows Dott likes quick play and would get annoyed by it. The same applied in the Ebbo vs O'Sullivan match in 2005. If an opponent cannot deal with it then that is a weakness in their mental make up. John Higgins and Mark Williams wouldn't let it bother them.

I think it is part of the game to slow a player down to enable you to win a match.

Fair play to Robbo for using the tactic last year, and fair play to Ebbo in 2005. <cool>

Dott and O'Sullivan need to address their mental gremlins with regard to playing players who slow the match down to gain an advantage. <ok>

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:
GJ wrote:

if he was well over 30 secs a shot he was in the wrong

So you are in favour of a 30 second shot clock ?

no its up to the ref to assess but if all of a sudden a player starts playing at 40 secs a shot when he normally plays 20 sec a shot the ref should step in as its blatant gamesmanship

the ref should take each player on their own merit and assess it based on their usual shot time and tempo

Postby Bourne

vodkadiet wrote:

Robbo's tactic was fair. He knows Dott likes quick play and would get annoyed by it. The same applied in the Ebbo vs O'Sullivan match in 2005. If an opponent cannot deal with it then that is a weakness in their mental make up. John Higgins and Mark Williams wouldn't let it bother them.

I think it is part of the game to slow a player down to enable you to win a match.

Fair play to Robbo for using the tactic last year, and fair play to Ebbo in 2005. <cool>

Dott and O'Sullivan need to address their mental gremlins with regard to playing players who slow the match down to gain an advantage. <ok>

Couldn't agree more, it shows a player is intelligent enough to adapt their game to each opponent and is flexible enough. Players who complain about losing to an opponent because they played slowly are kidding themselves, it just shows that player wasn't mentally strong enough to find a will to defeat it.

Postby Tubberlad

I think Frame has this about right. Some may see it as gamesmanship, I am not one of those people. As has been said, Higgins and Williams would not be bothered by it, and it would probably be unwise trying to annoy them in such a way. As for Ronnie, you are playing a weakness in his game. I call it matchplay.

Postby vodkadiet

Bourne, Tubberlad. <ok>

The Crucible is a test of endurance. Players have to deal with all sorts during the course of the event, ie bad run of the ball, crowd distractions, players fist pumping in their face, have to cope with a player on top form, having to come from behind, and dealing with a player using this go slow tactic is just another thing a player needs to deal with.

Dott has publicly said he hates playing players playing slowly. How stupid is that? He just invites any player who is struggling against him to 'shut up shop'. I am afraid you deserve all you get if you let a player's go slow tactic affect you in an adverse way.

What next? Hearn saying he wants to limit frames to 10 safety shots each?

Postby Monique

The rules say it's gamesmanship, so it is. That's non negociable. Barry Hearn is not trying to change the rules, it's already in the rules and has been for a long time.
BTW ROS never complained about what Ebdon did, he said that he did what he had to do to win. That doesn't change the fact that it was against the rules and Ebdon should have been warned and he very well knew it. He never did it again, never to that extend anyway.
As for Higgins I don't know, but Williams certainly can be frustrated. I've seen it enough.
Come to it Ebdon can be frustrated! I remember one first round match - in the Shanghai Masters 2007 - when Dave Harold did to Ebdon what Ebdon had done to ROS, and Ebdon lost his patience, got extremely frustrated and the match. And yes I DID enjoy that!

Postby GJ

Monique wrote:The rules say it's gamesmanship, so it is. That's non negociable. Barry Hearn is not trying to change the rules, it's already in the rules and has been for a long time.
BTW ROS never complained about what Ebdon did, he said that he did what he had to do to win. That doesn't change the fact that it was against the rules and Ebdon should have been warned and he very well knew it. He never did it again, never to that extend anyway.
As for Higgins I don't know, but Williams certainly can be frustrated. I've seen it enough.
Come to it Ebdon can be frustrated! I remember one first round match - in the Shanghai Masters 2007 - when Dave Harold did to Ebdon what Ebdon had done to ROS, and Ebdon lost his patience, got extremely frustrated and the match. And yes I DID enjoy that!

a taste of his own medicine :redneck: <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:I think Frame has this about right. Some may see it as gamesmanship, I am not one of those people. As has been said, Higgins and Williams would not be bothered by it, and it would probably be unwise trying to annoy them in such a way. As for Ronnie, you are playing a weakness in his game. I call it matchplay.

what ive been against from the start of this thread is Barry Hearn interfering in things he shouldnt and worst than that in the press. so if theres slow play at the crucible the tabloids will re print the same article putting unwanted pressure on players and referees.

it really is simple we cant relay rules through the media.

Postby Monique

Wild, I agree that the media are not the best place for relaying the rules although I doubt that it will affect players or refs in any way.
They will probably have been briefed about it at the start of the tournament.

Postby vodkadiet

Ebdon didn't break the rules. There is no time limit to how long a player can take.

O'Sullivan got everything he deserved and good riddance to him.

GJ

Am I to assume that you would rather Robbo not used the slowing down tactic last year in favour of playing at his normal pace and losing to Dott?

Yes or no will suffice.

Postby GJ

vodkadiet wrote:Ebdon didn't break the rules. There is no time limit to how long a player can take.

GJ

Am I to assume that you would rather Robbo not used the slowing down tactic last year in favour of playing at his normal pace and losing to Dott?

Yes or no will suffice.

in the past i would say yes but im now more mature and try to see what is best for ths whole sport and not just what suits my favourite players

<ok>

Postby Bourne

Monique is just making up 'rules' <doh>

Postby vodkadiet

Bourne wrote:Monique is just making up 'rules' <doh>

Monique wants rules that help O'Sullivan to win.

If Ronnie played Dott and Ronnie knew he could get at Dott by slowing the game right down, she would be championing Ronnie as a great tactician! <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Wild, I agree that the media are not the best place for relaying the rules although I doubt that it will affect players or refs in any way.
They will probably have been briefed about it at the start of the tournament.

if its in the rules and lets be honest here its actually in the rules for years....

there was a big discusion about slow play during the 1989 WC......

John Virgo the then WPBSA Chairman was in favour of speeding play up a bit and in a studio debate Eddie Charlton got pretty heated against it i thought he was going to punch viurgos lights out :redneck:

Postby Tubberlad

Monique, what is also non negotiable is that there is no time limit in snooker. Whether Ebdon committed gamesmanship or not is based on opinion. Quite rightly in my mind, he was not given a warning.

Over 24 frames of snooker, the overwhelming better player on the day went through in my opinion.

Postby vodkadiet

GJ wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Ebdon didn't break the rules. There is no time limit to how long a player can take.

GJ

Yes or no will suffice.

in the past i would say yes but im now more mature and try to see what is best for ths whole sport and not just what suits my favourite players

<ok>

Would you like to see Robbo stripped of his title then? If Hearn says it is only right and that by stripping Robbo of his world title it would show he meant business and is in the best interests of the sport, and anyone doing the same this year will also be stripped of the title. <ok>

Postby Monique

There is no time limit frame but the rules clearly say that taking unecessary long over a shot or over the selection of a shot is ungentlemanly conduct and that the offender should be warned at first offence, docked the frame at the second and docked the match at the third. That's in section 4.1. of the rules. It was very clear that for some of the shots Ebdon did eventually take there was no other reason to spend over a minute thinking time other that to annoy his opponent. The referee Colin Brinded was badly ill at the time and died a few months later and he hadn't the resources to cope with the situation especially as Ebdon was a member of the board and hence in a way his employer. But that doesn't change the fact that Ebdon should have been warned.

It's exactly the same situation as in soccer; the fact that a referee fails to give a penalty for a obvious fault doesn't make the fault legit even if the ref's decision is final.

And I'm not "making up rules"
http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/RulesofSnooker
excerpt
SECTION 4. THE PLAYERS
1. Conduct
In the event of:
(a) a Player taking an abnormal amount of time over a stroke or the selection of a stroke; or
(b) any conduct by a Player which in the opinion
of the referee is wilfully or persistently unfair; or
(c) any other conduct by a Player which otherwise
amounts to ungentlemanly conduct; or
(d) refusing to continue a frame;
the referee shall either:
(e) warn the Player that in the event of any such further
conduct the frame will be awarded to his opponent; or
(f) award the frame to his opponent; or
(g) in the event that the conduct is sufficiently serious
award the game to his opponent
If a referee has warned the Player under (e) above, in the event of any further conduct as referred to above, the referee must either:
(a) award the frame to his opponent; or
(b) in the event that the further conduct is sufficiently serious, award the game to his opponent.
If a referee has awarded a frame to a Player's opponent pursuant to the above provisions, in the event of any further conduct as referred to above by the Player concerned, the referee must award the game to the Player's opponent.
Any decision by a referee to award a frame and/or the game to a Player's opponent shall be final and shall not be subject to any appeal.

Postby GJ

vodkadiet wrote:
GJ wrote:

GJ

Yes or no will suffice.

<ok>

Would you like to see Robbo stripped of his title then? If Hearn says it is only right and that by stripping Robbo of his world title it would show he meant business and is in the best interests of the sport, and anyone doing the same this year will also be stripped of the title. <ok>

dottys final in 2006 finished even later so if baz is consistent and strips dotty of his then fair enough <ok>

Postby Monique

Robertson was slower than usual against Dott but both players were very tired and very tense and he never contemplated a straightforward ball for minutes...

Postby Bourne

The rules say it's gamesmanship, so it is. That's non negociable

Incorrect <ok>

Postby GJ

Monique wrote:Robertson was slower than usual against Dott but both players were very tired and very tense and he never contemplated a straightforward ball for minutes...

yes i dont remember him taking ages over an easy shot <ok>

Postby Bourne

GJ all you're going on about is one extraordinary, unique break that happened nearly 6 years ago ... if it was commonplace, you'd have a point, but it was a one-off.

Postby vodkadiet

GJ

Robbo's final had 1 less frame in it so I guess you might say that was a slower final than 2006.

Ebdon didn't break the rules against Ronnie. End of story.

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:GJ all you're going on about is one extraordinary, unique break that happened nearly 6 years ago ... if it was commonplace, you'd have a point, but it was a one-off.

all im saying is barry is giving a reminder that it shouldnt happen again well thats how i see it

Postby Tubberlad

Non negotiable Monique? I think it is highly negotiable. Those rules, as I have stated above, are well and truly open to interpretation.

By the way, that match was arguably the best of what was a pretty poor Championship

Postby Wildey

problem with rules is if the chairman or men in charge wants the referee to enforced them all to the letter the refs head will explode.

they should only be a guide the refs knows the rules they dont need someone putting pressure on.

Postby vodkadiet

Monique wrote:Robertson was slower than usual against Dott but both players were very tired and very tense and he never contemplated a straightforward ball for minutes...

How was Robbo tired?

He had an easy draw and won his matches with something to spare. He had a tough match with Gould but that was on the middle Saturday. After that he was on holiday until the final.

Please don't make silly statements that cannot be backed up with any truth. :ahh:

Postby Tubberlad

This has been a cracking debate. But lets keep on track, there are a few comments above that are a little personal, ie having a pop at the poster rather than the debate. Not a major gripe as this has been a great debate, and lets keep it that way.

Postby vodkadiet

Infact if anyone was tired it was Ebbo in that final session against O'Sullivan in 2005. He had to play 3 long sessions against Lee on the Sunday and Monday in the 2nd round, and then started his match less than 16 hours after beating Lee. By the time he started playing that last session against Ronald he must have been shattered but being the tough match player that he is Ebbo just got on with the job, much to your annoyance. ;)