Post a reply

Re: Speed it up ...

Postby Witz78

I agree with Hearn and ive played snooker all my days.

Theres taking time to think through and play the right shot and then theres deliberatly slowing things down to effectively take a "time out" to clear your mind / gain a mental edge by frustrating your opponent.

The latter is what Hearn seeks to end and even as an Ebdon and Selby fan, i fully agree.

Postby GJ

The way i see it long frames are great fun and a player taking his time over shots is fine

But when a player is taking ages on straight forward shots its just poor gamesmanship and it adds nothing to the game IMO

so to sum up long frames are great but deliberate slow play is wrong IMO and adds nothing to snooker

so barry is entitled to say what he has and i agree with him

Postby jojo

no but its not that clear cut if you play the game every now and again you need more than one minute thinking time and invariably that can happen more than once in the same frame with the table situation if it delicate or you in trouble trying to escape

if this so called rule is applied players will feel rushed put under pressure also not all referees will have the same interpretation it subjective not objective

if this so called rule is applied then this the new dawn of snooker a hugely significant moment the game taking a turn for the worse

before too long the game will be speeded up even more and we will lose the core aspects of snooker traditional snooker fans like me understand respect and love and why we loved trhe game in the first place

if they do speed up the game i will eventually lose interest and this coming from a snooker fanatic who been following the game for over 25 years

Postby GJ

im not saying its clear cut if a player is taking ages on straight forward pots over and over a ref should tell them its not acceptable

Postby gallantrabbit

Emphasis on speed cannot go too far. For me speed snooker is not necessarily entertaining snooker. Ronnie is very quick but it's natural and I love watching him. Drago almost looked forced and would annoy the hell out of me.
BH will get more respect with his 'brave new world' statement when he fines ROS for his German pull out or hits on other disciplinary measures etc. Doesn't want to be known as 'all mouth and trousers"

Postby GJ

oh dear as usual people twist what barry says to suit their own agenda wild the main culprit

:zzz:

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:im not saying its clear cut if a player is taking ages on straight forward pots over and over a ref should tell them its not acceptable

it is not up to Barry Hearn to put his ore in talking to a tabloid thats nonprofessional behavior when its none of his business.

Alan Chamberlain is appointed on the WPBSA Board to deal with stuff like this its just buck all to do with Barry Hearn

Postby GJ

chamberlain is never in the press barry is so its barrys area to brief the media

Postby Monique

It's not a "so called" rule it's section 4.1.a of the rules. It is up to the ref to judge considering the situation and, yes there might be differences in appreciation. But then the exact same comment applies to the foul and miss rule and when we had the discussion about the need for a change of that rule or not, Wild in particular insisted that the ref should apply the rule with common sense. It's exactly the same here, they should apply the rule with common sense.
I don't believe for a minute that referees like Jan Verhaas or Eirian Williams lack the intelligencet and knowledge of the game to be able to judge if the situation indeed needs thinking time or if a player is simply wasting time. Especially if the feat is repeated.

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:chamberlain is never in the press barry is so its barrys area to brief the media

it should not be talked about in the bucking press another snooker related moron cant shut his big fat bucking gob.

Postby GJ

you wanted barry in charge he has in his own style deal with it mate

:emu: :zzz:

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:you wanted barry in charge he has in his own style deal with it mate

no i wont let any runt have his bucking way .....wanting something and letting them run riot is very much different if i want to tell Barry what a bucking runt he is that what i will bucking well do <ok>

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:

no i wont let any lady part have his intercoursing way .....wanting something and letting them run riot is very much different if i want to tell Barry what a intercoursing lady part he is that what i will intercoursing well do <ok>

there you are getting excited and abusive again wild... :redneck:

Postby Witz78

no he didnt. He only jumped on the Hearn bandwagon once he was voted in :john: (like most people did <doh> )

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Wild wrote:

no i wont let any lady part have his intercoursing way .....wanting something and letting them run riot is very much different if i want to tell Barry what a intercoursing lady part he is that what i will intercoursing well do <ok>

thats not abusive thats deadly serious monique every word i will not stand by and let snooker being turned in to a circus not on you nelly.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:

no he didnt. He only jumped on the Hearn bandwagon once he was voted in :john: (like most people did <doh> )

lets just hope he wont prove me right in the first place then

i changed my mind on the blue print of the sport if he goes back on any of it ill take the runt apart <ok>

Postby Wildey

im sorry for losing my rag but im just snake hissed off everything is about speeding things up christ almighty the sport is already far faster than it was in the 80s so maybe going faster isnt what people want.

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:
Monique wrote:
Wild wrote:

thats not abusive thats deadly serious monique every word i will not stand by and let snooker being turned in to a circus not on you nelly.

Look you are swearing like no tomorrow about what would only be applying the rules as they are. There is no shot-clock proposal, no suggestion of what a reasonable time would be as this obviously depends on the situation. There is no "hard rule", just the suggestion that the game should indeed stay entertaining and while a good clever safety battle IS entertaining, waisting time for the sake of frustrating the other guy isn't. Don't forget that no sport can survive without an audience, especially not a minority sport like snooker.

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:im sorry for losing my rag but im just snake hissed off everything is about speeding things up christ almighty the sport is already far faster than it was in the 80s so maybe going faster isnt what people want.

did you think ebdon's snail paced break when the pots were straight forward against ronnie was acceptable conduct mate ?

Postby Lucky

What hes saying makes sense........however without a hard and fast rule, impossible to apply fairly imho. The miss rule was introduced based on a referees discretion/opinion but soon became a black and white, fail to make contact and its called a miss situation. There is no grey area, either you can play at your own speed else some form of time limit will have to be introduced, anything else will again leave the game open to interpretation which neither the players or refs enjoy.

Postby Wildey

i have no problam with any speed a player wants to play at theres something for everyone to enjoy i liked that match with Ebdon v Ronnie even that break it was exciting little break it was pure drama.

but i know its in the rules a ref can act if he thinks somethings not right just give that instruction to the refs and players and not in the media.....i can now see incidence where a ref feels pressure from the crowd to act on slow play thats not even that slow.

Postby vodkadiet

A ref warned Dean Reynolds in the 1989 World Championship quarter final with Tony Meo and Reynolds was so upset by it, that he started sobbing at the table. It was unneccessary then and it is unneccessary now.

Hearn has done a fair job this year but he needs to stop meddling with the rules of the game. Some players play a slower game than others. Some fans like quick players, and some fans actually like slow play.

You wouldn't tell Drago to slow down, so don't tell Lawler to quicken up!

Postby Tubberlad

I don't see it as a problem. One of my favourite games of all time was Ebdon's masterful display of grit in 2005

Postby GJ

barry <cool>

Postby Monique

vodkadiet wrote:A ref warned Dean Reynolds in the 1989 World Championship quarter final with Tony Meo and Reynolds was so upset by it, that he started sobbing at the table. It was unneccessary then and it is unneccessary now.

Hearn has done a fair job this year but he needs to stop meddling with the rules of the game. Some players play a slower game than others. Some fans like quick players, and some fans actually like slow play.

BH is not meddling with the rules, it's already in the rules. And it's not about asking Lawler or McLeod to speed up: they play into their natural pace and every experienced ref would know that. But even them rarely go above a 30 second on average. So when some player(s) who are NOT naturally slow reach 57, clearly there is abuse and the rules - today's rules - should apply.

Postby GJ

Monique wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:A ref warned Dean Reynolds in the 1989 World Championship quarter final with Tony Meo and Reynolds was so upset by it, that he started sobbing at the table. It was unneccessary then and it is unneccessary now.

BH is not meddling with the rules, it's already in the rules. And it's not about asking Lawler or McLeod to speed up: they play into their natural pace and every experienced ref would know that. But even them rarely go above a 30 second on average. So when some player(s) who are NOT naturally slow reach 57, clearly there is abuse and the rules - today's rules - should apply.

spot on monique :ahh:

Postby Bourne

GJ what did you think about Robbo starting to slow down his game and grind away in the World final last year against Dott to win ?

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:GJ what did you think about Robbo starting to slow down his game and grind away in the World final last year against Dott to win ?

if he was well over 30 secs a shot he was in the wrong