Post a reply

Re: Speed it up ...

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:My favourites to watch would be O'Sullivan, Trump, Selby, Ebdon, Stevens, Williams, Dott...granted e few quick ones but I'm more interested in exciting play and shot selection than speed...

everyone has favorite players to watch that doesn't make it that everyone likes the same style of play you do however we at the moment are being forced down our throats that speed or flair is the only way to go.

Who has the right to make that decision and whos to say its right.

snooker is faster now than its ever been as it is.

Postby Tubberlad

Monique probably has a point...to the connoisseur like ourselves, slow play does not mean boredom. Thing is though, we have to be accomodated too as we were the fans who stuck by the sport...

Postby Witz78

My favourites to watch would be Ronnie, Jimmy, Alex, Tony, Quinten, Judd and Lou Butera.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:No wild it's not a myth. It's today's reality whether you like it or not. Yes there are exceptions, there always are. But many sports have changed their rules to make things more "dynamic". I'm not sure it's the righ way to go, but it's today's way. Table tennis for instance has shortened sets from 21 to 11 points to win and increased the number of sets. Comebacks are now rare and it's all out attack t gain advantage from the start. I'm not sure I like it but it's how it is.

monique seriously frames are on average about 10 minute shorter now than they was 20 years ago so already snooker is shorter because players are faster players on the whole.

Postby Monique

Tubberlad wrote:Monique probably has a point...to the connoisseur like ourselves, slow play does not mean boredom. Thing is though, we have to be accomodated too as we were the fans who stuck by the sport...

Exactly. Many snooker fans find 3-cushions boring to watch. Why? Probably because they don't appreciated the skills involved and without that it's not "attractive" enough. People have to start somewhere before becoming real "conoisseurs".

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:Monique probably has a point...to the connoisseur like ourselves, slow play does not mean boredom. Thing is though, we have to be accomodated too as we were the fans who stuck by the sport...

no monique hasent got a point its just the interpretative point people think snooker needs to go down....

i disagree and its a myth there is no proof at all ....

Postby Monique

because you disagree doesn't prove it isn't right neither.

Postby Wildey

i respect moniques opinion as i do her but theres no proof at all what she or others including mine is the truth.

over the last 20 years snooker has got faster and popularity has decreased so maybe frames over in 5 minutes with big breaks is not what people want.

Postby Witz78

"According to The Guardian, Hearn sees Power Snooker as "an element of the WPBSA's ongoing attempt to overhaul the sport and introduce it to new audiences". Hearn stated on the launch that "We are 100% behind Power Snooker. In this new time for World Snooker, it is important for us to embrace new formats and new ideas", stating that he believed it would bring new audiences and fans to snooker"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Snooker

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:i respect moniques opinion as i do her but theres no proof at all what she or others including mine is the truth.

over the last 20 years snooker has got faster and popularity has decreased so maybe frames over in 5 minutes with big breaks is not what people want.

Snooker is a sport that even "faster" still requires a great deal of commitment, concentration and patience. To play it and to watch it. I'm afraid it's not "trendy" and I regret it. But people can learn to appreciate things ... it's to get them to try that is the first important step.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:"According to The Guardian, Hearn sees Power Snooker as "an element of the WPBSA's ongoing attempt to overhaul the sport and introduce it to new audiences". Hearn stated on the launch that "We are 100% behind Power Snooker. In this new time for World Snooker, it is important for us to embrace new formats and new ideas", stating that he believed it would bring new audiences and fans to snooker"

over my dead body will that rubbish get any bucking air time....

im going to shoot that bucking crap down thats for sure <ok>

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Wild wrote:i respect moniques opinion as i do her but theres no proof at all what she or others including mine is the truth.

Snooker is a sport that even "faster" still requires a great deal of commitment, concentration and patience. To play it and to watch it. I'm afraid it's not "trendy" and I regret it. But people can learn to appreciate things ... it's to get them to try that is the first important step.

monique

they got fast events shootout,PL so why does everything has to be geered up to speed .

its like asking formula 1 to slow down

Postby onlyevertonjon

Ebdon done over O'Sullivan well and truly and derailed his career. He has never fully recovered from that night, and never will.

And Ronnie went on to be World and UK Champion as well as Masters winner after this lack of recovery.

Anyone got Peter Ebdon's number? He can come to my office and "derail" my career!

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:well they actually did Wild. ;)

haha you beat me to it.

imagine if Wild was an F1 fan. His rants at Bernie Ecclestones proposals to introduce "fake rain" to spice up boring races would be hilarious.

If that proves to be a success, then Maybe Hearn could spice up boring snooker matches by introducing a few hecklers into the crowd or press a button that increases the size of the pockets.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:

haha you beat me to it.

imagine if Wild was an F1 fan. His rants at Bernie Ecclestones proposals to introduce "fake rain" to spice up boring races would be hilarious.

If that proves to be a success, then Maybe Hearn could spice up boring snooker matches by introducing a few hecklers into the crowd or press a button that increases the size of the pockets.

go forth to multiply <ok>
Last edited by Wildey on 25 Mar 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

exactly

and how boring thats become.

evolving and changing is not always the right thing to do.

Postby vodkadiet

onlyevertonjon wrote:Ebdon done over O'Sullivan well and truly and derailed his career. He has never fully recovered from that night, and never will.

And Ronnie went on to be World and UK Champion as well as Masters winner after this lack of recovery.

Anyone got Peter Ebdon's number? He can come to my office and "derail" my career!

Before that evening Ronnie was heavily odds on to win a 3rd world title and become the first to defend successfully since Hendry, and there was talk of him overtaking Hendry's 7 world titles. Where is that dream today?

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:

exactly

the 2007, 2008 and 2010 seasons have probably been the top 3 most dramatic,exciting and unpredictable seasons in the last 20 years <doh>

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet wrote:
onlyevertonjon wrote:Ebdon done over O'Sullivan well and truly and derailed his career. He has never fully recovered from that night, and never will.

Before that evening Ronnie was heavily odds on to win a 3rd world title and become the first to defend successfully since Hendry, and there was talk of him overtaking Hendry's 7 world titles. Where is that dream today?

that match didnt derail his career but it did highlight a massive weakness in his game and since then he has lets say self combusted many times including a year later against Dott in the 2006 World Semi final.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

exactly

the 2007, 2008 and 2010 seasons have probably been the top 3 most dramatic,exciting and unpredictable seasons in the last 20 years <doh>

thats to do with who will win and how close it became and not the Race on the track thats like a procession...

Postby onlyevertonjon

vodkadiet wrote:

Hardly derailed career though, is it?!

To be honest as a fan of Ebdon I wish he had realised that "great its worked tonight for me, leave it at that". Despite the 2006 UK triumph I think its had more negative affect on Ebdon than Ronnie because Peter has bogged his game down in that image! He was more fluent before it.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

exactly

thats to do with who will win and how close it became and not the Race on the track thats like a procession...

you obviously dont watch F1 if you think the races lately have been processions rofl

Postby Tubberlad

Wild wrote:

exactly

Formula One has become infinitely more entertaining since about 2005...absolutely love Formula One

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:
Wild wrote:

exactly

Formula One has become infinitely more entertaining since about 2005...absolutely love Formula One

thats more to do with the fact Shumacker dominance was over the competition got more equal making the title more than a 1 horse race.

Postby Tubberlad

Yeah, but it certainly hasn't been boring! And even during the Schumi years 2000 and 2003 were still great seasons!

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:Yeah, but it certainly hasn't been boring! And even during the Schumi years 2000 and 2003 were still great seasons!

well it has for me compared to the 80s and early 90s stuff.

nobody is right or wrong just preferance which takes me nicely back to this thread its just pure preferance so why is everything geared up to speed when its clear that is not what everyone want.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:"According to The Guardian, Hearn sees Power Snooker as "an element of the WPBSA's ongoing attempt to overhaul the sport and introduce it to new audiences". Hearn stated on the launch that "We are 100% behind Power Snooker. In this new time for World Snooker, it is important for us to embrace new formats and new ideas", stating that he believed it would bring new audiences and fans to snooker"

over my dead body will that rubbish get any bucking air time....

im going to shoot that bucking crap down thats for sure <ok>

You always come out with this stuff, Wild. But out of interest, what would you do to propose to do about it? Say it was announced that Barry Hearn was launching another Power Snooker event, what would your plan to prevent that from getting air time? I'm just interested.