Post a reply

Re: Players Appearance Money

Postby Eirebilly

Witz78 wrote:
Casey wrote:
Bourne wrote:I don't know why people are so against this idea, what is wrong with the top players earning more and having a bit of motivation to get to tournaments and perform for the fans ? It's not exactly an alien concept that's never been tried before ...

I would rather that money go into the main prize fund so in a few years the players are playing for more than 50,000 Euro

as Hearn famously said before he got into power "Mediocrity doesnt deserve to be rewarded" and i agree <ok>

So why does Ronnie deserve appearance money then? He is pretty mediocre right now :D

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:I don't know why people are so against this idea, what is wrong with the top players earning more and having a bit of motivation to get to tournaments and perform for the fans ? It's not exactly an alien concept that's never been tried before ...

ffs

if cash is the motivation to play their best i wished they would buck off.

i really do

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Casey wrote:

I would rather that money go into the main prize fund so in a few years the players are playing for more than 50,000 Euro

as Hearn famously said before he got into power "Mediocrity doesnt deserve to be rewarded" and i agree <ok>

rewarding someone for getting out of bed is rewarding mediocrity just look at the England Football Team <ok>

multi millions in the bank and they cant play rubbish

Postby GJ

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Postby vodkadiet

I thought Ronnie didn't go because of his kids?!!!

Yeah right!

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:

ffs

if cash is the motivation to play their best i wished they would intercourse off.

i really do

You're probably the only person on the planet who thinks snooker players would happily play all over the world and not get paid for it rofl

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:

ffs

if cash is the motivation to play their best i wished they would intercourse off.

i really do

You're probably the only person on the planet who thinks snooker players would happily play all over the world and not get paid for it rofl

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

ffs

i really do

im against one player getting more than another.

Whats good enough for 1 is good enough for another no matter how high or low they are in the rankings....

Totally Equal Then play to win to see who goes home with most.

its only Fair Jak Jones gets the same amount as Ronnie for Travling to the same Event.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Well that's not up to us to decide ...

NO but ill put up a god all mighty stink if it happens thats for Sure unlike Robin Hood Stealing from the Rich to give to the Poor its more buck off Poor ill give the cash to the Rich.

Postby Eirebilly

Bourne wrote:Well that's not up to us to decide ...

Again Bourne, your for it so i ask you where they are going to get the money from to pay the appearance fees?

How do they arrange it? Do they assign based on rankings, seedings or supposed crowd favourites?

Postby Roland

I sense personal politics getting in the way of the bigger picture for some here.

Postby Eirebilly

Sonny wrote:I sense personal politics getting in the way of the bigger picture for some here.

Sonny, i am not against snooker paying appearance money if it was in a healthy position to do so. Right now, i dont feel that it is. It is starting to take off again under Mr Hearn but i feel that people should be patient and wait until it is in a healty position to provide it. Right now i can only see them reducing the prize money to cover the expense of appearance money. This will certainly upset all players not recieveing appearance money and would possibly cause a split in the game.

Postby Roland

What about sponsors coughing up for the top players then rather than World Snooker?

Postby Eirebilly

Sonny wrote:What about sponsors coughing up for the top players then rather than World Snooker?

Thats a different story but i cant honestly see them doing ths as they are already forking out enough prize money. In order to make this work, there are so many factors involved that it wouldnt be cost efficient for a sponsor to do this.

Postby Roland

It would be if the likes of the top 10 didn't show up because it wasn't worth their effort.

I'm playing devil's advocate here. To think bookmakers who have been sponsoring a lot of events recently don't have enough money to throw a few grand the top players way to get themselves more exposure doesn't sound viable. Of course they do. I think from the discussion so far it's obvious the onus on appearance money lies with the sponsors.

Postby Eirebilly

Sonny wrote:It would be if the likes of the top 10 didn't show up because it wasn't worth their effort.

I'm playing devil's advocate here. To think bookmakers who have been sponsoring a lot of events recently don't have enough money to throw a few grand the top players way to get themselves more exposure doesn't sound viable. Of course they do. I think from the discussion so far it's obvious the onus on appearance money lies with the sponsors.

I just think that its a dangerous road to go down now in this econimical climate. If the sponsors had the money to throw around then i am sure that they would have already done that. I just feel that snooker as a sport and a buisness needs to be alot more stable before even contimplating appearance money. Leave that for the exhibitions.

Postby Wildey

Eirebilly wrote:
Sonny wrote:I sense personal politics getting in the way of the bigger picture for some here.

Sonny, i am not against snooker paying appearance money if it was in a healthy position to do so. Right now, i dont feel that it is. It is starting to take off again under Mr Hearn but i feel that people should be patient and wait until it is in a healty position to provide it. Right now i can only see them reducing the prize money to cover the expense of appearance money. This will certainly upset all players not recieveing appearance money and would possibly cause a split in the game.

im 110% against it Full Stop its elitism what i say if players play for cash i dont want them to play the bigger picture is making the sport they started as a hobby in to a great sport why the hell should cash inspire them to do that.....

They turn up play well get Price Money.

Postby Wildey

id cap Footballers Wages at £1,000 a week then everything else are Bonuses Based on Goals, Winning Matches etc etc

i hate when players sign a contract that says they get £42,000 a week etc...

yes they might get that based on putting their ass in to gear and perform otherwise its the £1,000 minimum.

Postby Bourne

Sonny wrote:It would be if the likes of the top 10 didn't show up because it wasn't worth their effort.

SPOT ON. If these people are preapared to cough up, then who are we to say no ?

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:

SPOT ON. If these people are preapared to cough up, then who are we to say no ?

people who supports the sport and are fed up of seeing sport stars getting to much money doing sod all..

definition of top players are they are the best therefore performing to make the money shouldn't be that tough.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I hate the idea of players getting paid extra just for showing up at events. I'm not sure how it works in Golf & Tennis but I know they don't get appearance money for the majors, in Tennis those events don't even have a sponsor. It's the normal tour events that pay appearance money as the top players choose which tournamnets they play. This isn;t the case in Snooker and the samller events wouldn't be able to afford it anyway. Ronnie O'Sullivan right now has no interest in playing in that many events so I don't think it would make much difference with him.

Postby Bourne

Wimbledon is the only slam that doesn't have a main sponsor ...

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Wimbledon is the only slam that doesn't have a main sponsor ...

why is that ?

can you imagine the Pukka Pies Wimbledon :redneck:

Postby Bourne

Tradition I guess, but I expect it'll change sooner or later.

Postby Casey

If the sponsors want to shell out extra cash for the likes of Ronnie, Robbo etc thats up to them. However I would imagine when they sign the check for sponsorship they would do so with the expectancy that Ronnie, Robbo etc would turn up.

If they have to pay these players appearance money would the cheque they sign for WS be as big? Doubtful.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:If the sponsors want to shell out extra cash for the likes of Ronnie, Robbo etc thats up to them. However I would imagine when they sign the check for sponsorship they would do so with the expectancy that Ronnie, Robbo etc would turn up.

If they have to pay these players appearance money would the cheque they sign for WS be as big? Doubtful.

yes it will be lining the pockets of the big cats and take away cash from the qualifiers.

Postby Casey

Making the rich richer and the poor poorer. Any Communists in the house? :redneck:

Postby Eirebilly

Look, if the sponsors are to decide who get appearance money, they may even decide who goes to tournements. Jimmy White is still one of the biggest crowd pullers still and i am sure that the sponsors would love to have him at events because of the bums on seat factor. Jimmy also would'nt say no.

Keep appearance money to exhibitions and not in snooker tournements.