Post a reply

Re: Players Appearance Money

Postby gallantrabbit

not sure any of the top 16 need to worry too much about feeding their family...
It's just a fact of life Wild, and business particularly, and I don't think it's the end of the world. Players shd be motivated by the sport and winning, but it's a different world we live in nowadays

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote: but it's a different world we live in nowadays

yes we live in a broke world <ok>

im now starting to understand why.

Postby vodkadiet

Noel is an idiot.

Real snooker fans prefer it when Ronnie isn't playing.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Apart from being completely unfair I don't think it makes sense. In Golf for example a top player might decide to play two tournamnets in the six weeks leading up to a major. That means there is competition between the different events and sponsors will be willing to pay to make sure the big names play in their event. In Golf a player playing in one event is choosing not to play in the others. This isn't the case in Snooker at all. Only one player pulled out of the German Masters and that was because he has little interest in playing right now. There might be some argument for it in the Brazilian Masters but even then what else are the players going to do. They've nothing else on that week.

Postby Witz78

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Apart from being completely unfair I don't think it makes sense. In Golf for example a top player might decide to play two tournamnets in the six weeks leading up to a major. That means there is competition between the different events and sponsors will be willing to pay to make sure the big names play in their event. In Golf a player playing in one event is choosing not to play in the others. This isn't the case in Snooker at all. Only one player pulled out of the German Masters and that was because he has little interest in playing right now. There might be some argument for it in the Brazilian Masters but even then what else are the players going to do. They've nothing else on that week.

eventually snooker will end up like these other sports if it keeps progressing though.

the players picked and choose what PTC events they played in, with so manu tournaments and ranking points available in the future, they will also pick and choose what proper rankers they enter.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Apart from being completely unfair I don't think it makes sense. In Golf for example a top player might decide to play two tournamnets in the six weeks leading up to a major. That means there is competition between the different events and sponsors will be willing to pay to make sure the big names play in their event. In Golf a player playing in one event is choosing not to play in the others. This isn't the case in Snooker at all. Only one player pulled out of the German Masters and that was because he has little interest in playing right now. There might be some argument for it in the Brazilian Masters but even then what else are the players going to do. They've nothing else on that week.

eventually snooker will end up like these other sports if it keeps progressing though.

the players picked and choose what PTC events they played in, with so manu tournaments and ranking points available in the future, they will also pick and choose what proper rankers they enter.

there will never be much more than 10 Ranking Events in Snooker if the tour is going to get clogged up with shootouts,power snooker,championship leagues and Prem League.

i think the balance is just about Right with Rankers and Growing the PTC Series to get streaming or Eurosport screaning the EPTC then get in some fun events like Shootout etc

theres not a complete free week until after the china open this season now then theres 13 days before the World Championship After that theres Q School Virtually Through may and we start again 10th of June with PTC 1.

Postby Sickpotter

IMO if pros want appearance money for ranking events then they should appear, play well and win money.

Appearance money is generally put up when there are competing events happening and one event wants to make sure that a certain player shows at their event rather than the other one. It's not exactly like snooker players have multiple events to choose from so why appearance money?

Seems like players are looking for a guaranteed income in a sport that's only ever rewarded players based on performance. Play well, make good money. Play poor and get nothing.

Perhaps players who want appearance money should be talking with their sponsors about it, not the WPBSA.

Perhaps they should show some respect for the huge sums they're getting paid to play a game.

Can't be fussed to attend an event that only offers ONLY 25,000 to the winner? You need a slap upside the head, the vast majority of the world would be thrilled for a shot to earn that kind of money in a week.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

there will never be much more than 10 Ranking Events in Snooker if the tour is going to get clogged up with shootouts,power snooker,championship leagues and Prem League.

i think the balance is just about Right with Rankers and Growing the PTC Series to get streaming or Eurosport screaning the EPTC then get in some fun events like Shootout etc

theres not a complete free week until after the china open this season now then theres 13 days before the World Championship After that theres Q School Virtually Through may and we start again 10th of June with PTC 1.

well have more than 10 rankers soon though as the EPTCs will have done there work helping to establish full rankers. <ok>

with a fuller calendar i dont think the shut shop PTCs will be required, neither will the Championship League and as for the Premier League, well i think it may have to be adjusted as there wont be enough free midweeks to play it.

On the flipside Hearn may want it to grow like the Darts one has into a massive crowd puller and earner.

Postby Wildey

i think theres a case in the Close Shop PTC to play 2 Back to Back in the Academy.

Sunday and Monday to play the Qualifiers IF Required for both. then Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday for 1 and Friday,Saturday and Sunday for the other.

but ideally they must get away from that set up ASAP.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:i think theres a case in the Close Shop PTC to play 2 Back to Back in the Academy.

Sunday and Monday to play the Qualifiers IF Required for both. then Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday for 1 and Friday,Saturday and Sunday for the other.

yes you saw in Germany and Blackpool in the last 2 weeks how much public demand and enthusiasm there is for snooker, so to have ranking events tucked away out of view doesnt do any good at all.

the EPTCs were the opposite and have been a success so surely the British PTC version should also be played in front of crowds.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:i think theres a case in the Close Shop PTC to play 2 Back to Back in the Academy.

yes you saw in Germany and Blackpool in the last 2 weeks how much public demand and enthusiasm there is for snooker, so to have ranking events tucked away out of view doesnt do any good at all.

the EPTCs were the opposite and have been a success so surely the British PTC version should also be played in front of crowds.

We must Remember 1 thing Barry Hearn was Lumbered with the Academy so it made perfect sense to use it in the First year to iron out problems etc but surely for the second year he must look for expansion.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

We must Remember 1 thing Barry Hearn was Lumbered with the Academy so it made perfect sense to use it in the First year to iron out problems etc but surely for the second year he must look for expansion.

yeh thats true but id be looking for something along these lines for the PTC events next season if all 6 go ahead.

PTC1 - Edinburgh
PTC2 - Newcastle
PTC3 - Liverpool
PTC 4 - Manchester
PTC 5 - Birmingham
PTC 6 - Southampton

Id like to take these to cities where snookers not normally held with a view to testing the water to see what the interest is like and what the venues are like, with a view to some of them becoming homes for rankers, be these established rankers or new ones.

Whilst great strides are being made abroad, what with 5 tournaments in China next season, 1 in Brazil, 1 in Germany + numerous European PTCs we could be seeing the "main tour" game in the UK reduced to just 4 events which is not enough

Host them

Postby Bourne

There's gota be one in Wales and Ireland, given the heritage both countries have in the game ?

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:There's gota be one in Wales and Ireland, given the heritage both countries have in the game ?

thanks for that lol.

WN2 From Wales <ok>

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:There's gota be one in Wales and Ireland, given the heritage both countries have in the game ?

i think after the sure success of the PTC finals in Oirland next month, we will see a ranker like the Irish Masters there next season. Its essential.

And Wales already has the Welsh Open which i think is enough having one proper ranker in a small corner of the UK.

Time to take the sport to the big UK cities i feel, even in the PTC format first.

We could find big arenas similar to the one in Germany in these cities and have a 3/4 day event with multiple tables but played with a slight nod towards the Sky Shootout in terms of atmosphere, thus letting the WSA fill the venue and have a chance of making some money whilst actually showcasing the game to the public even further, instead of just the fly on 1 of the 4 walls in the Academy in Sheffield <doh>

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:

i think after the sure success of the PTC finals in Oirland next month, we will see a ranker like the Irish Masters there next season. Its essential.

And Wales already has the Welsh Open which i think is enough having one proper ranker in a small corner of the UK.

Time to take the sport to the big UK cities i feel, even in the PTC format first.

We could find big arenas similar to the one in Germany in these cities and have a 3/4 day event with multiple tables but played with a slight nod towards the Sky Shootout in terms of atmosphere, thus letting the WSA fill the venue and have a chance of making some money whilst actually showcasing the game to the public even further, instead of just the fly on 1 of the 4 walls in the Academy in Sheffield <doh>

<ok>

Why there is no ranker in London is beyond me. Ok I know the cost would be high but the crowds surely would be higher and the coverage for sponsors better.

Postby Bourne

Ah yeh forgot that Dublin have the finals <ok> The north hasn't had a ranker since the UK in York (I count Telford in the midlands before any smart-alec comes along :redneck: ) ...?