Post a reply

Re: Players Appearance Money

Postby gallantrabbit

Mediocricity should not be rewarded, but players invited to such events as Brazil (Hoooray) are not going to be mediocre as there will only be 12.
I think it's something that should be done discreetly, but if Hearn thought he had a nice little club of players who all wanted in the same direction I'm not sure he's had that, so if a little extra cash is needed as an incentive I think it's pretty sound business sense to release it.
Remember coming to place like São Paulo is supposed to have a long term result. I don't think most of the public will believe the standard of snooker from the top 12 players. If you can get Ronnie out here for example with some level of interest and form it will blow their minds.
Do what it takes is my opinion.

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:Mediocricity should not be rewarded, but players invited to such events as Brazil (Hoooray) are not going to be mediocre as there will only be 12.
I think it's something that should be done discreetly, but if Hearn thought he had a nice little club of players who all wanted in the same direction I'm not sure he's had that, so if a little extra cash is needed as an incentive I think it's pretty sound business sense to release it.
Remember coming to place like São Paulo is supposed to have a long term result. I don't think most of the public will believe the standard of snooker from the top 12 players. If you can get Ronnie out here for example with some level of interest and form it will blow their minds.

whats good business sense about bribing players it goes against everything thats good about sport.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:Mediocricity should not be rewarded, but players invited to such events as Brazil (Hoooray) are not going to be mediocre as there will only be 12.

whats good business sense about bribing players it goes against everything thats good about sport.

Ok, send Dave Harold, Fergal O'Brien, Marcus Campbell etc to Brazil instead for that event and watch the game flourish over there off the back of it :zzz:

Postby Bourne

I haven't really got a problem with wildcards being entered to tournaments but what I do object to is the fact qualifiers have to play them just to get into the first round, never seen the point in that. Give a few wildcards a place in the main draw and overhaul the qualification system.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

Ok, send Dave Harold, Fergal O'Brien, Marcus Campbell etc to Brazil instead for that event and watch the game flourish over there off the back of it :zzz:

Top Players should want to play because its a event and they get prize money depending of how well they do that is definition of being a top player buck ME PINK <doh>

Postby gallantrabbit

Wild - in no way is it a bribe.
If you don't need it now don't use it, but if you are trying to open a new market I can see no problem.
Prize money out here will be at least 200k in dollars so maybe that's enough. Shd be 50k for the winner. Brazil is just an example anyway.
It happens in many sports, it's business.

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:Wild - in no way is it a bribe.
If you don't need it now don't use it, but if you are trying to open a new market I can see no problem.
Prize money out here will be at least 200k in dollars so maybe that's enough. Shd be 50k for the winner. Brazil is just an example anyway.
It happens in many sports, it's business.

Mate

i get it and i dont agree with it....

the only motivation players should need is that they are working towards a better future for the sport Giving players Back Handers to apear is holding the sport or any sport to ransome...

"hey Come to play in my tournament ill give you £2,000 to come over"

"no can do give me £5,000 and ill think about it"

Postby Roland

You live in your own world Wild which isn't the real world a lot of the time :santa:

Postby Roland

:roll:

I can see what Wild is saying, but unfortunately that's not the way things work. When you've got so many other sportsmen and women earning several times more than top snooker players AND getting appearance money to play in world ranking counting events, you can't not allow that to apply to snooker. The richer the top stars get, the longer the sport will exist because the more youngsters will take up the game and the more parents will try to live the dream.

Take Tim Henman for example. He only ever reached GS semi-finals, but I bet his prize and endorsements is more than Hendry, Higgins, Williams and O'Sullivan put together.

Postby Eirebilly

Why are people trying to compare this to sports like Tennis and golf which are both truely global sports that have massive amounts of money. Snooker is in no way so big or rich so there is no way you can compare them really.

What is Mr Hearn going to say to the sponsors. Thanks for the money you invested but can we have some more as a few of our top stars are want appearance money now? Snooker should currently be happy that they have sponsors and should'nt be thinking about pushing them for extra money just to suit a few top stars just yet.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote::roll:

I can see what Wild is saying, but unfortunately that's not the way things work. When you've got so many other sportsmen and women earning several times more than top snooker players AND getting appearance money to play in world ranking counting events, you can't not allow that to apply to snooker. The richer the top stars get, the longer the sport will exist because the more youngsters will take up the game and the more parents will try to live the dream.

Take Tim Henman for example. He only ever reached GS semi-finals, but I bet his prize and endorsements is more than Hendry, Higgins, Williams and O'Sullivan put together.

to be perfectly honest i dont give a flying buck how much useless sportsmen in other sports gets that doesn't make it Right by a long Chalk.

by Entering a Invitational you get the Price Money for losing in the first Round as in the Masters case it was £15,000 but thats across the board........

im the one living in the real world MATE Giving money because they can be bothered to do what they should do isn't real.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Sonny wrote::roll:

to be perfectly honest i dont give a flying buck how much useless sportsmen in other sports gets that doesn't make it Right by a long Chalk.

by Entering a Invitational you get the Price Money for losing in the first Round as in the Masters case it was £15,000 but thats across the board........

im the one living in the real world MATE Giving money because they can be bothered to do what they should do isn't real.

the Masters is a Major
and is played in the UK
and has a decent R1 losers prize / appearance fee

BUT

were primarily talking about new events overseas such that are looking to get established, be it the German Masters or the new Brazil tournament, where the lure of an appearance fee to guarantee the top players are there is worth it to boost the tournaments profile and give it as much a chance as possible of being a success in the future.

Postby Wildey

top players should be there or they no longer top players....

id rather players played because they want to be there not because someone flashes the cash.

why stop at that lets bribe punters say the top 16 most prolific Ticket buyers gets £10,000 each <doh>

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:top players should be there or they no longer top players....

id rather players played because they want to be there not because someone flashes the cash.

why stop at that lets bribe punters say the top 16 most prolific Ticket buyers gets £10,000 each <doh>

wild

<cool> :D :bowdown:

Postby Eirebilly

I was led to believe that individual players sponsors paid for their trips and accomodation :huh2:
That there is a pretty big perk so why would they need appearance money on top of that?

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:GREEDY chameleons EIRE <ok>

that sums up most sports these days mate :redneck: :wild2:

Postby Witz78

Might as well just hand all the cash to Stalins pal :limp: The Welsh Superfan right now then :D

Postby Wildey

Barry Hearn has said he cant do it alone he needs the players to put their wack in to build snooker up again to where it should be and this thread is talking about bleeding him and the Sport Dry <doh>

They been moaning not enough playing opertunity etc etc now moaning they cant afford to go to events so whats the sugestion give more to Ronnie and buck little Jak Jones he can busk his way to Tournaments because hes not a big name. <doh>

unbelievable greedy thoughts if ever ive seen them.

Postby Eirebilly

Wild wrote:GREEDY bar stewards EIRE <ok>

My point is Wild, they get their flights an accomodation paid so why go and put pressure on for appearance money?? They all got into the game for the love of it and while its beginning to grow again they should do their bit as well to help its progress.
If anything, they could see it as a nice week away.

Postby Eirebilly

Witz78 wrote:

Might as well just hand all the cash to Stalins pal :limp: The Welsh Superfan right now then :D

What...... <doh>

Postby Wildey

Eirebilly wrote:
Wild wrote:GREEDY bar stewards EIRE <ok>

My point is Wild, they get their flights an accomodation paid so why go and put pressure on for appearance money?? They all got into the game for the love of it and while its beginning to grow again they should do their bit as well to help its progress.
If anything, they could see it as a nice week away.

to be fair nobody putting pressure on just a throw away line from Mark Williams regarding Ronnie.

im all for expenses being payed for but not pay for top players to go to a brothel while lower ranks in a one bedroom bed sit eating beens from a can.

Postby Witz78

Eirebilly wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

What...... <doh>

:huh:

Postby Noel

Appearance fees isn't an ethic or moral issue at all. It's a business decision.
Appearance fees aren't to satisfy greedyguts performers. It's an investment.
The promoters who pay appearance fees do so to sell tickets or tv rights or advertising.
Appearance fees therefore promote the sport.
Mark is absolutely correct. Ronnie O;Sullivan is the guy. The only "appearance fee" guy in Snooker.

=o)

Noel

Postby Noel

Noel wrote:Appearance fees isn't an ethic or moral issue at all. It's a business decision.
Appearance fees aren't to satisfy greedyguts performers. It's an investment.
The promoters who pay appearance fees do so to sell tickets or tv rights or advertising.
Appearance fees therefore promote the sport.
Mark is absolutely correct. Ronnie O'Sullivan is the guy. The only "appearance fee" guy in Snooker.

=o)

Noel

You can say that again!

Postby gallantrabbit

One or two getting out of their box for no reason. Mark Williams is fully behind Hearn and doesn't need 50k in a brown paper bag to play snooker, in fact I think he played in all the PTCs for 10 grand... He's only making a comment about what might possibly attract someone like Ronnie who we all know is the big attraction. I'm not sure money is the answer for Ronnie, more like a pair of size 12 boots from his old man and Hearn, but it's just an idea. No real reason to call the players the devil's greedy brothers now is it?
Noel is right, it's a business decision, and if sponsors don't have guarantees that this player or that player will turn up they might want to dig into their pockets to add a little shine to the event.
I don't actually think it'll make much difference over here in Brazil as the club I play in still proudly displays pictures from an exhibtion Meo and Davis did out here yonks ago.
So if Tony fancies a little match up...

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:One or two getting out of their box for no reason. Mark Williams is fully behind Hearn and doesn't need 50k in a brown paper bag to play snooker, in fact I think he played in all the PTCs for 10 grand... He's only making a comment about what might possibly attract someone like Ronnie who we all know is the big attraction. I'm not sure money is the answer for Ronnie, more like a pair of size 12 boots from his old man and Hearn, but it's just an idea. No real reason to call the players the devil's greedy brothers now is it?
Noel is right, it's a business decision, and if sponsors don't have guarantees that this player or that player will turn up they might want to dig into their pockets to add a little shine to the event.
I don't actually think it'll make much difference over here in Brazil as the club I play in still proudly displays pictures from an exhibtion Meo and Davis did out here yonks ago.
So if Tony fancies a little match up...

and what im saying if money is what attracts a player its better they stay at home rather than come to line his pockets and go home early after losing.

to play any sport you need motivation to be the best regardless what money on offer.

i know they need to live but that goes for everyone so a top 16 field is invited and Stuart Bingham in that top 16 what gives Ronnie the Right to Get more from the tournament than Bingham ?

has he got more right to feed his family ?