Post a reply

Re: Changes to the Changes?

Postby PLtheRef

Sonny wrote:The UK this year proved that in order to get those matches of true drama you need the opportunity for an overnight or between sessions lead which can then be overhauled as the winning line approaches.

My point in the Power Snooker write up was that snooker doesn't need gimmicks and Power Snooker should soak up all the shot clock, ball in hand, gimmicky things and snooker should remain as snooker but with varying formats from the fantastic best of 5 World Open which is a test of bottle through to the UK and Worlds which gives the players an opportunity to show what they can do (with a load of balls and a snooker cue).

Interesting point, and it was interesting in the first two rounds to see how matches developed over the next day - my only role here has been however a messenger. Remember it was hearsay and that new formats are always for chew upon.

As a neutral I do think members need to keep their tempers. There is nothing disgusting in airing an opinion which may be contrary to your own. Formats are of interest to me and we all have our own opinions, and members will need to get real and grow a pair when people have the sheer nerve to challenge their opinions.

Sonny, you do make some good points, change can be good in formats as long as we keep the game the same the problem with this is it can be seen as stale somewhat - but in keeping the basics as in normal snooker scope will come for cuts. Its the players who are playing at the end of the day - but again, the fair contrast to that is if they want to play less frames, give them smaller prizes

The Poolification of the sport is something that needs resisting.

Postby Roland

I think if you canvas opinion among the players they would all want to play more longer format events even if it means less events.

I agree with your sentiments about posters keeping their tempers. I think we all know who you're talking about. I crossed the line myself as well, I know that but I like to think I am balanced and to be honest the suggestion of reducing the length of the 2nd longest tournament is something that makes me genuinely angry. When you look back to times past they used to play first to a ridiculous amount of frames. But we all know when you are actually playing the game against someone in your local club it's easy to play first to 10 frames in an afternoon and that length gives you a chance to get into the match and guarantees you will get chances.

I think the Masters and best of 11 as opposed to the previous standard best of 9 is the shortest format possible where you can get some drama going on and get it done in a single session.

Postby Monique

I even think best of 13 could be played in one session and without a MSI. But I also think that IF determining the best player is the sole purpose anything over best of 19 is overkill and totally unnecessary.
Also I would introduce a 35 seconds shot clock with ample provisions of time outs (5 per frames, no limits per match) unless a way is found to actually enforce what IS a rule in snooker - that taking an unduely amount of time over a shot is gamemanship and should be punished. No player needs more than 25 secs on average, none of them not even Mc Leod. So when Ebdon gets to 47 secs as he did in the last World Open it's clearly gamemanship and nothing else and the rules are clear about the fact that is not allowed, just don't say how they should be applied. Until that is made clear AND enforced I'll ask for a shot-clock as it exists in pool BTW.

Postby PLtheRef

Glad you see that point, as there is nothing apalling or disgusting at holding a set of beliefs about a sport we care about - even if they are contrary to your own. Reasonable discussion should always be allowed - on a public forum.

to be honest the suggestion of reducing the length of the 2nd longest tournament is something that makes me genuinely angry. When you look back to times past they used to play first to a ridiculous amount of frames. But we all know when you are actually playing the game against someone in your local club it's easy to play first to 10 frames in an afternoon and that length gives you a chance to get into the match and guarantees you will get chances.

Hmm, - But you have to remember in an amateur match down the game that its going to be an easier proposition than a professional match which is 8 or 9 frame sessions at most (the 11 frame final final sessions arent really frequent) - hence why hardly any sessions are scheduled

The reasons given back when the drastic cuts of 92 took place because of the opening up of the game - you have to wonder whether any cuts would be due to opening up the game again. -

I think the Masters and best of 11 as opposed to the previous standard best of 9 is the shortest format possible where you can get some drama going on and get it done in a single session

Sonny, The reason why the Masters is so special is because of the names who play, the cream of the crop, and that always brings about a great event, can anyone tell me of a 'Bad' Masters? - Best of 11 is also a large format for early rounds, but with the stature of the players - for me it fits perfectly, but with the way it actually runs and what happens - best of nine frames could produce the same kind of games, think about the O'Sullivan v Higgins match at the GP 2009?

Anyway I think that there is going to be some positive change to the Masters.

Postby PLtheRef

Monique wrote:I even think best of 13 could be played in one session and without a MSI. But I also think that IF determining the best player is the sole purpose anything over best of 19 is overkill and totally unnecessary.
Also I would introduce a 35 seconds shot clock with ample provisions of time outs (5 per frames, no limits per match) unless a way is found to actually enforce what IS a rule in snooker - that taking an unduely amount of time over a shot is gamemanship and should be punished. No player needs more than 25 secs on average, none of them not even Mc Leod. So when Ebdon gets to 47 secs as he did in the last World Open it's clearly gamemanship and nothing else and the rules are clear about the fact that is not allowed, just don't say how they should be applied. Until that is made clear AND enforced I'll ask for a shot-clock as it exists in pool BTW.

13 over 1 session with no MSI is too much for me, if there is no MSI then I think that 7 frames is as far as it goes. - Shot clocks must be done with caution as though we want to see variety in formats, the poolification of the sport is something that must be kept at bay.

Postby Monique

I agree that poolification of the game should be avoided, so no ball in hand for me, no scrapping of the miss rule neither. But untill a way is found to actually enforce the rules - and the fact that taking unduely long time over a shot is gamemanship is part of the rules - yes I'll ask for a shot clock. Not 20 seconds or not even 25 ... 35, 40 if needed and timeouts enough, but that what is a clearly an abuse on the rules is put to an end.

Postby PLtheRef

Monique wrote:I agree that poolification of the game should be avoided, so no ball in hand for me, no scrapping of the miss rule neither. But untill a way is found to actually enforce the rules - and the fact that taking unduely long time over a shot is gamemanship is part of the rules - yes I'll ask for a shot clock. Not 20 seconds or not even 25 ... 35, 40 if needed and timeouts enough, but that what is a clearly an abuse on the rules is put to an end.

Now there is a problem here, something that can be avoided with the clock - but that puts a limit on player's ability - matches slip in standards when we limit the abilities of the players - its like getting rid of all of the rests etc, its not going to do anything to help the game - and though its interesting to see how players respond the game can be poolified with the and that is the rule is so difficult to apply at present, - The problem is as a referee when you warn a player for slow play then you are telling them that they are cheating. Now in a sport like snooker, its difficult for a player to be told off for cheating, especially when it is opinionated. What can be construed as gamesmanship by me, may be different to it from the likes of Jan, Eirian etc. At least with the Miss Rule there is a strict interpretation now.

Postby Monique

PLtheRef wrote:
Monique wrote:I agree that poolification of the game should be avoided, so no ball in hand for me, no scrapping of the miss rule neither. But untill a way is found to actually enforce the rules - and the fact that taking unduely long time over a shot is gamemanship is part of the rules - yes I'll ask for a shot clock. Not 20 seconds or not even 25 ... 35, 40 if needed and timeouts enough, but that what is a clearly an abuse on the rules is put to an end.

Now there is a problem here, something that can be avoided with the clock - but that puts a limit on player's ability - matches slip in standards when we limit the abilities of the players - its like getting rid of all of the rests etc, its not going to do anything to help the game - and though its interesting to see how players respond the game can be poolified with the and that is the rule is so difficult to apply at present, - The problem is as a referee when you warn a player for slow play then you are telling them that they are pint pulling. Now in a sport like snooker, its difficult for a player to be told off for pint pulling, especially when it is opinionated. What can be construed as gamesmanship by me, may be different to it from the likes of Jan, Eirian etc. At least with the Miss Rule there is a strict interpretation now.

Yes and I'm advocating for a strict interpretation of the rule over slow play just as there is one about the miss rule. And if the shot-clock is the only answer for it, then it should be enforced. And I don't believe that a 35 or 40 seconds shot-clock with - say - 5 timeouts per frame would limit ANY player's ability. It's plenty of time and additional room for thinking. But it would stop the abuse or at least limit it.

Postby Tubberlad

I just can't contemplate a shorter Masters, UK Championship or World Championship...

Postby Monique

TPtheirishstud wrote:I just can't contemplate a shorter Masters, UK Championship or World Championship...

The Masters today is best of 11 except for the final that's best of 19. Keep it this way.
The UK is best of 17 except for the final that's best of 19 with half of the matches in rounds 1 and 2 played in cubicles. IF making those rounds best of 13 and 15 would allow for all matches to be played on telly, I'd go for it. That would still be a long format.
And I wouldn'd touch the WC except that I would go back to best of 31 for the semis (as it was before 96, when Hendry won most of his WC titles) and start semis in the morning so that there would be no evening session on the Saturday.

Postby Tubberlad

Outside of the bit about the UK, I'd agree with most of that. I think the UK needs a two table set-up and a proper venue above all else.

Postby PLtheRef

I think if you went to a big enough venue you could have 4 TV tables - at least 3 can be done if at the Brighton Centre - You have to remember the players who have played to qualify for the TV stages - and they dont get to play must be annoying a tad - the format I suggested isnt as radical as a best of 21 world final that was mooted a while back - its one way of ensuring that the matches are on the TV stages - having the format of 6 frames on, 6 frames off may not appeal to many, especially in the UK Championships though.

The proposed World Matchplay could be an idea here?

I just can't contemplate a shorter Masters,

Actually, I think that the only thing shorter would be the number of players. Back in May there was some talk of it being reduced to the top 10, and 2 Wild cards being split into 4 Groups, with each of the Group winners qualifying - it would also mean that the Group matches remained best of 11 frames.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I think if you canvas opinion among the players they would all want to play more longer format events even if it means less events.

I agree with your sentiments about posters keeping their tempers. I think we all know who you're talking about. I crossed the line myself as well, I know that but I like to think I am balanced and to be honest the suggestion of reducing the length of the 2nd longest tournament is something that makes me genuinely angry. When you look back to times past they used to play first to a ridiculous amount of frames. But we all know when you are actually playing the game against someone in your local club it's easy to play first to 10 frames in an afternoon and that length gives you a chance to get into the match and guarantees you will get chances.

I think the Masters and best of 11 as opposed to the previous standard best of 9 is the shortest format possible where you can get some drama going on and get it done in a single session.

MY TEMPER IS JUSTIFIED <ok> and i stand by every single word 110% ...

however its christmas and will be back in january to kick the ballox of this marmite if talk will continue <ok>

Postby PLtheRef

insulting members and calling them disgusting takes it too far - sorry.

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:insulting members and calling them disgusting takes it too far - sorry.

not really

i do find it disgusting im being honest <ok>

Postby PLtheRef

Well simply - Insulting members is taking things too far - listen to others if you want to be took seriously.

Postby Wildey

just think of the stink students do over student loans and multiply it by 10 then you would get near how angry i was earlier today.

Postby PLtheRef

which doesnt excuse insulting members?

Stand by your opinions, and defend them by all means, just dont insult members for daring to have a different opinion

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:which doesnt excuse insulting members?

Stand by your opinions, and defend them by all means, just dont insult members for daring to have a different opinion

i just do not understand the logic behind snooker fans in favour of shorter matches in majors.

i can understand snooker haters wanting less.

if i offended anyone im deeply sorry for that it was not personal against anyone just cant understand it one bit and wander why are people watching the sport :?

Postby GJ

wild shows real passion for snooker while others dont

wild <cool>

Postby Tubberlad

MITCH JOHNSON THE POM SLAYER wrote:wild shows real passion for snooker while others dont

wild <cool>

To be fair, while I disagree with some of the comments on here, I don't think aybody would have joined a snooker forum if they weren't passionate about the game of snooker.

Postby Roland

Members have the right to give their opinions without feeling threatened by other members who disagree with them. This a debating forum and if we all agreed then there would be no point in it all. Once it starts to get personal, that's when the line is crossed.

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:Members have the right to give their opinions without feeling threatened by other members who disagree with them. This a debating forum and if we all agreed then there would be no point in it all. Once it starts to get personal, that's when the line is crossed.

<ok>

Postby PLtheRef

Well Moniques given her reasons and whatever opinions people hold they need to be respected - I'd rather the UK have the longer format kept the way it is, but we can chew over what formats are suggested, and how might they work, - as we said these look like they're being dropped

Postby Tubberlad

And may I say that I am very, very happy to hear it looks like they've been droppen, because in my opinion it would be a bit of a disaster...

Postby PLtheRef

when there are other avenues? Such as 4 table situation in Preston?

Anwyay, thoughts on the masters idea?

Postby Roland

It would devalue it. It's already been devalued by having it across 4 tables. I was horrified when they changed the structure of how it used to be when they moved it to Telford but instead of going "Ah, this isn't working it was better how it was before" it's as if that never happened and the only solution is to devalue it further so they can have all last 32 matches from the first Saturday using 2 tables.

As a snooker fan I accepted that a few last 32 matches had played out before the televised stages started and maybe there would be an upset before we joined the action. But it's a case of that player isn't in the event, it's not their year, get over it and pick up the action from here.

Postby GJ

Your Mother Loves Tubber wrote:
MITCH JOHNSON THE POM SLAYER wrote:wild shows real passion for snooker while others dont

wild <cool>

To be fair, while I disagree with some of the comments on here, I don't think aybody would have joined a snooker forum if they weren't passionate about the game of snooker.

most of us are but sometimes im sorry bit a certain poster thinks what ever is best for their fav player is best for the whole game.

and im sorry but that is as blinkered as you can get.

:wave: :chin:

And i freely admit im as biased as a supporter can be but when it comes to the game of snooker i would never say a certain format is for the good of snooker just because it suits robbo or stevens that is rather sad IMO