Post a reply

Do you want another long format tournament to maybe balance out reductions in other Events ??

YES
80%
NO
20%

Total votes : 15

Re: Long Format Tournament !!!

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:Plus dont forget jadechelsea started watching in 2007 and 2008, the WC and the masters final between ronnie n selby following year turned her into a snooker lover..

exactly you either got a persanality for a sport or you dont.

my sister grew up having to watch some snooker because of me ;) and shes got no interest in it.

there is no formula to get people interested and i feel at the moment they are slightly chasing their tale regarding what they think people actually want.

Postby Monique

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:
randam05 wrote:Plus dont forget jadechelsea started watching in 2007 and 2008, the WC and the masters final between ronnie n selby following year turned her into a snooker lover..

my sister grew up having to watch some snooker because of me ;) and shes got no interest in it.

there is no formula to get people interested and i feel at the moment they are slightly chasing their tale regarding what they think people actually want.

As you say there is no formula. So the best bet is to go for variety as this is likely to appeal to a wider cross section. It is also IMO a good move to take broadcasting constraints and needs into account because the game needs to go more global. Not just UK, not just viewers at the venue.
In that light I think the Welsh refurbishment is ok: going from 9 to 7 frames in the 2 first rounds (just those 2 rounds, just 2 frames, no big deal) and 2 tables setup with everything on telly.
As for a long format in China, I don't think it would work. I remember articles in Chinese media, about 2 years ago, saying that best of 19 for the finals was too long ... and six-reds is highly popular in Asia. If there is one place where we could have one additional long format tournament then it's (back) in Ireland.

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:
wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:

As you say there is no formula. So the best bet is to go for variety as this is likely to appeal to a wider cross section. It is also IMO a good move to take broadcasting constraints and needs into account because the game needs to go more global. Not just UK, not just viewers at the venue.
In that light I think the Welsh refurbishment is ok: going from 9 to 7 frames in the 2 first rounds (just those 2 rounds, just 2 frames, no big deal) and 2 tables setup with everything on telly.
As for a long format in China, I don't think it would work. I remember articles in Chinese media, about 2 years ago, saying that best of 19 for the finals was too long ... and six-reds is highly popular in Asia. If there is one place where we could have one additional long format tournament then it's (back) in Ireland.

Yea I wrote an article on 606 about longer frame matches in China and how the public opinion was against that.

I think a world open sytle format would be fantastic in China, obviously the main problem is getting the ticket prices reduced, however if that happenes they would have no problem in filling out arenas.

Postby Wildey

that's why variety = extending some tournaments.

maybe more longer tournaments would encourage others the same as short would attract others

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:
Monique wrote:
wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:

Yea I wrote an article on 606 about longer frame matches in China and how the public opinion was against that.

I think a world open sytle format would be fantastic in China, obviously the main problem is getting the ticket prices reduced, however if that happenes they would have no problem in filling out arenas.

i think if china are serious about snooker they should be asking to extend the china Open or put on a longer format tournament somewhere else in the calender if they cant do that then taking the WC There any time in the future is a no go area.

Postby Casey

Monique suggests a longer framed format in Ireland which I think is a good idea.

The Irish Masters went to best of 9 first two rounds, best of 11 QF, best of 17 SF and best of 19 final. It worked well until RTE could not agree a time in the calendar with World snooker.

Postby Monique

Wild, there is more than one way to be "serious about snooker". I don't think a long format would work well in China going by the feedback on existing events. They don't have the same "history" or snooker culture as UK, nor has Europe BTW.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Wild, there is more than one way to be "serious about snooker". I don't think a long format would work well in China going by the feedback on existing events. They don't have the same "history" or snooker culture as UK, nor has Europe BTW.

talk of taking the WC There should stop now then

Postby Monique

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:
Monique wrote:Wild, there is more than one way to be "serious about snooker". I don't think a long format would work well in China going by the feedback on existing events. They don't have the same "history" or snooker culture as UK, nor has Europe BTW.

On that I agree. It's all about prestige but I'm not sure it would appeal to their fans that much. Not to mention that they would have to fill the venue by invitations or really make the tickets prices much lower than they are now there. I've been told that the tix for a best of 9 in the China Open costs the average chinese worker a very significant part of his monthly wages ...

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:
wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:

On that I agree. It's all about prestige but I'm not sure it would appeal to their fans that much. Not to mention that they would have to fill the venue by invitations or really make the tickets prices much lower than they are now there. I've been told that the tix for a best of 9 in the China Open costs the average chinese worker a very significant part of his monthly wages ...

I don’t get that, why do they put the prices so high meaning people can’t attend? If they lowered the price of the tickets more could go and they would make more money....simple.

Postby Wildey

wow that's a hell of a lot.

so in a way the reason the atendancies are low for the wild card rounds are they cant afford to watch Adrian Gunnell vs a WC.

Postby GJ

china dont want longer formats

Common sense therefore says dont put longer formats there otherwise they may go off snooker altogether

Postby Smart

thetubberlad wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:Sets & win my two are ideas I've been advocating for quite a while... would love to see them brought in

Sets :chin: :sad: :chin: :sad:

Only on a once a year basis of course ;)

can you do it a bit less frequent ............................ :chin: :sad: :chin: :sad:

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:Sets & win my two are ideas I've been advocating for quite a while... would love to see them brought in

Sets :chin: :sad: :chin: :sad:

Only on a once a year basis of course ;)

can you do it a bit less frequent ............................ :chin: :sad: :chin: :sad:

Dont you like the sets idea Stalin?

I didn't to start with but i think it could bring excitement...i wouldn't have a sets format in a major

Postby Smart

GJtheaussiestud wrote:china dont want longer formats

Common sense therefore says dont put longer formats there otherwise they may go off snooker altogether

yeah we dont want to frighten them off cos there sponsors are so generous <laugh> :redneck: <laugh> :redneck:

Postby Tubberlad

case_master wrote:Monique suggests a longer framed format in Ireland which I think is a good idea.

The Irish Masters went to best of 9 first two rounds, best of 11 QF, best of 17 SF and best of 19 final. It worked well until RTE could not agree a time in the calendar with World snooker.

I was there that year actually, and it was a really cracking format <ok>

Postby PLtheRef

We may be having another Long format tournament coming our way 2011/12,