Post a reply

Would you approve of a sets format for the UK?

Yes
43%
No
No votes
Needs change, not sure about sets
57%

Total votes : 7

Re: Leave the Worlds alone, revamp the UK

Postby randam05

wildJONESEYE wrote:
randam05 wrote:right like monique says it needs its location changing..im thinking south england..name me one tournament other than the masters in the actual south of england? its pathetic. I live in devon, the south west and the welsh open is nearest then the masters which are still hours away and why is all snooker up north for no apparent reason! it annoys me a lot cause its rare i can travel easily to a tournament

i take your point and it is a good point.

they used to have the Grand Prix at the hexagon reading but for me the UK's spiritual home is Preston

i lived in reading until 3 years ago and stay there a lot so im gutted there isnt tournaments at the hexagon no more as i lived no more than 5 mins from there. I hear the players loved the hexagon a lot. The commentators mention it from time to time

Postby Wildey

i never been to the Hexagon but it was special just hearing the Hexagon associated in snooker they first played at the Hexagon in 1981 they played the old Team championship there until the Grand Prix in 1984 and the Grand Prix was there until 1993 or 1994.

tubber

im in agreement something needs doing to the UK

me personally would follow your lead on this, im a traditionalist but that doesn't mean if something needs a re vamp for the good of the sport id back it..

World and Masters id leave as they are, they are perfect.

Postby Tubberlad

The World and the Masters are perfect, should be left untouched as Wild correctly pointed out. The UK needs a bit of something.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I don't think a set format would work in Snooker because the frames are too long. The Sets format works well in sports which have short games. If you look at the World Open the b-o-5 matches all lasted at least an hour which is too long for a set.

Moving it back to Preston is a no brainer but I'm not sure if it's possible right now as I remember reading that Rodney Walker signed a deal to keep it in Telford until 2013. Returning to the 64 man format of the 80's & 90's would be good but it would only be the last 16 onwards that get on TV and I can't see them taking the risk that some big names being knocked out early.

Postby Wildey

everything that's been happening is going in the right direction the iminant announcement of the World Cup is another excellent move but you got to think of the best of the sport when you look at what needs doing.

the World Open was a good idea the PTC Does what it sais on the Tin but needs better public interaction now the World Cup all positive moves i totally back ive backed Barry Hearn he has started something good here ive not felt this excited for a long time then Steve opened his mouth on Sunday and i feel deflated about everything.

the UK Should be the focus of Barry Hearn now try and re invent that.

OK To late possibly for this season but hopefully something can be done for next year.

Postby Tubberlad

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I don't think a set format would work in Snooker because the frames are too long. The Sets format works well in sports which have short games. If you look at the World Open the b-o-5 matches all lasted at least an hour which is too long for a set.

Moving it back to Preston is a no brainer but I'm not sure if it's possible right now as I remember reading that Rodney Walker signed a deal to keep it in Telford until 2013. Returning to the 64 man format of the 80's & 90's would be good but it would only be the last 16 onwards that get on TV and I can't see them taking the risk that some big names being knocked out early.

The sets I'm suggesting are best-of-3, which would be a reasonably similar length to a set in tennis time wise I would say.

Postby Bourne

Didn't one of the matches last upwards of 2 and a half hours, can't remember which might have been Dunn vs Campbell or Ebdon vs someone ? That's where it could create a problem.

Postby Alex0paul

They should go back to only televising the Last 16 plus the top 4 seeds' Last 32 games. That why there can be two televised tables and nobody can miss out on matches.

Postby NedB-H

Sets is a daft idea, as I said on another thread, you don't want to start changing with the fundamentals of the way snooker works, or you just alienate the obsessive fans and confuse the hell out of the casual ones. Golf springs to mind, it used to be that golf tournaments would be split between strokeplay, matchplay and stableford scoring systems, now no pro tournaments anywhere are played with stableford, and there's only 1/2 a year played with matchplay (and those are struggling, and would probably be dead if they weren't used as practice for the Ryder Cup). For golf fans who liked those two formats its a shame, but it has to happen because sports can't afford to contradict themselves. Shortening things, T20 cricket, six reds, rugby sevens, is one thing, having completely different systems in another.

I think all the UKs needs is a bit of publicity, it just gets overlooked nowadays. The BBC treats it more like the Grand Prix/World Open/whatever than it does the Masters or the Worlds, it doesn't have the glamour of Wembley or the history and tension of the Crucible. Telford shouldn't be a bad venue really, there was nothing spectacularly great about Preston and Telford is a reasonably handy location for access. I think it just needs Hearn to jazz things up a bit. Maybe this should be the tournament where they really go for the darts-style crowds, noise and shouting and beer. That's all it needs, a bit of excitement and its own identity.