If it ain't broke, and so on...
So far Barry Hearn has done little wrong in my eyes, but tinkering at the Worlds would undo everything for me. I can genuinely say I prefer it to Christmas. Nothing would improve the World Championships for me, it's 17 days of the most intense snooker, brings the greatest drama, leaves the best memories.
There is however, another tournament that needs serious revamping.
The UK Championship suffers from dwindling crowds, no identity.
So here's my idea:
Move it to Preston
Play it up until the Sunday before Christmas
Bring in a brand new format, sets for instance.
1. Each set could be best-of-3 frames
2. First round and second round could be best of 5 sets, meaning a possible 15 frames. A reduction may be no harm for audiences, and is made up for in later rounds.
3. Quarter and semi-finals could be made best of 7 sets, meaning a possible 21 frames.
4. Final best of 9 sets, a possible 27 frames.
Leave the Worlds alone, revamp the UK.
- Posts: 5009
- Joined: 02 October 2009
- Location: Ireland
- Snooker Idol: Ronnie OSullivan
- Highest Break: 49