Post a reply

Should the format for the World Championships be reduced?

Yes
6%
No
87%
Maybe
6%

Total votes : 31

Re: Should the World Championship Format be Reduced?

Postby Monique

randam05 wrote:Yup couldnt agree with you two more, im open to change, but just not in the worlds please. When I read things like what neil robertson said there, I get a sick feeling in my tummy, its such a bad idea. For christs sake its only the one tournament like it!! thats why its so prestigious, if it were like the uk or masters, it wouldnt be the world championship, they would have to call it something else cause it just WOULDNT BE THE WORLD CHAMPIPONSHIP ANYMORE. There would never be another WC like you say because, the WC is what sorts the players out, just cause ronnie hasnt got his head screwed on right and cant cope with doing something for to many days, doesnt mean it should be changed. How many of you work from 9 till 5 everyday at a tough job 5 days a week? ..exactly and you cope with it. This is there job remember and theres a big prize at the end for becoming WC.

Its prestigious, different, engrossing, enjoyable, exciting, produces top top snooker, sorts the men from the boys and everything good really, tis my fav tournie as im sure it is yours too. Im also sure a lot of players like the WC as it is. Each tournament with its own identity? well if you change the WC it will be similar to the rest.

I could keep going on with more and more reasons, but im sure you lot know the call.

What has this to do with Ronnie? He's won it three times, that's more than anyone else bar Davis and Hendry. And this if you can read is Neil Robertson's opinion. OK?

Postby randam05

Monique wrote:
randam05 wrote:Yup couldnt agree with you two more, im open to change, but just not in the worlds please. When I read things like what neil robertson said there, I get a sick feeling in my tummy, its such a bad idea. For christs sake its only the one tournament like it!! thats why its so prestigious, if it were like the uk or masters, it wouldnt be the world championship, they would have to call it something else cause it just WOULDNT BE THE WORLD CHAMPIPONSHIP ANYMORE. There would never be another WC like you say because, the WC is what sorts the players out, just cause ronnie hasnt got his head screwed on right and cant cope with doing something for to many days, doesnt mean it should be changed. How many of you work from 9 till 5 everyday at a tough job 5 days a week? ..exactly and you cope with it. This is there job remember and theres a big prize at the end for becoming WC.

Its prestigious, different, engrossing, enjoyable, exciting, produces top top snooker, sorts the men from the boys and everything good really, tis my fav tournie as im sure it is yours too. Im also sure a lot of players like the WC as it is. Each tournament with its own identity? well if you change the WC it will be similar to the rest.

I could keep going on with more and more reasons, but im sure you lot know the call.

What has this to do with Ronnie? He's won it three times, that's more than anyone else bar Davis and Hendry. And this if you can read is Neil Robertson's opinion. OK?

:evilgrin1:

i know..and i disagree with it.

and i mention ronnie cause hes backing for it to be changed most.

Postby pocket the rocket

agree with most comments on here! if you change the format, you lose the records and it's almost like you start again! the majors of all sports should never be changed (i.e the golf uk open from four to two rounds just wouldn't work) and in snooker that's the masters, the uk and the big one!

Postby randam05

Right, just settled in the 2007 world champ semi final between selby and murphy. The quarter finals that both the players played in went 13-12. In between the first and second frame ray stubbs was saying it can be drawling and tiring for the players, but steve davis replied with ... 'yes its a marathon but its got to be this long to get a true test because the players are very good, the difference between the players-very small so you need more frames'

So basically saying the world championship needs to be as long as it is!

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:Right, just settled in the 2007 world champ semi final between selby and murphy. The quarter finals that both the players played in went 13-12. In between the first and second frame ray stubbs was saying it can be drawling and tiring for the players, but steve davis replied with ... 'yes its a marathon but its got to be this long to get a true test because the players are very good, the difference between the players-very small so you need more frames'

So basically saying the world championship needs to be as long as it is!

spot on it has to be long to separate great players with good players.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Well done randam. Davis should be reminded of those words.

during the BBC Coverage of the UK Send in a e mail with that clip attached

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Isn't he allowed to change his mind in 3 years ? :chin:

why would he want to change his mind from talking sense to being a pin end ????

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:

:redneck:

Has he actually said anything else since the World Open ? Because the impression I got at the time was that it was just an informal chat and it snowballed and got taken completely out of proportion.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

:redneck:

Has he actually said anything else since the World Open ? Because the impression I got at the time was that it was just an informal chat and it snowballed and got taken completely out of proportion.

the impression i got was he started the chat then you could see on his face "what have i said" and he tried to back track but was that due to him and his mouth being out of control OR was it something that has been under discussion within the powers that be.

Postby snooky147

I was surfing as a guest but I just had to register to agree with Wild and the vast majority that the WC should not be tampered with in ANY way, with the possible exception of rearranging the schedule to have both semis finish on Friday and have the losing semi finalists play a 3rd - 4th play off on Saturday. Start the final at a decent time on Sunday with both Finalists having had a day off.

Both Robertson's comments and Selby's comments about tiredness annoy me. In Selby's case I am surprised he is not knackered all the time as he has to be the single most negative player I have ever seen, which is a pity because when he does get in he does not miss. His totally negative tactics result in most games being scrappy and defensive and as for re racks, dont even get me started on that.

Robertson, on the other hand only has himself to blame. He took the decision to slow down the WC Final with Graeme Dott. Dott had been quick and fluent throughout and there was no reason to suggest that the final would be approached any differently from him and indeed it wasn't. Only when Robertson slowed things down Dott did not have the energy to outlast him. Now do not get me wrong, I am NOT saying that it would have made a different result. I AM saying that it would have made a BETTER match. It was Robertson's choice to play the way he did so he has no right to then say that the tournament should be shortened.

Postby Monique

snooky147 wrote:I was surfing as a guest but I just had to register to agree with Wild and the vast majority that the WC should not be tampered with in ANY way, with the possible exception of rearranging the schedule to have both semis finish on Friday and have the losing semi finalists play a 3rd - 4th play off on Saturday. Start the final at a decent time on Sunday with both Finalists having had a day off.

Both Robertson's comments and Selby's comments about tiredness annoy me. In Selby's case I am surprised he is not knackered all the time as he has to be the single most negative player I have ever seen, which is a pity because when he does get in he does not miss. His totally negative tactics result in most games being scrappy and defensive and as for re racks, dont even get me started on that.

Robertson, on the other hand only has himself to blame. He took the decision to slow down the WC Final with Graeme Dott. Dott had been quick and fluent throughout and there was no reason to suggest that the final would be approached any differently from him and indeed it wasn't. Only when Robertson slowed things down Dott did not have the energy to outlast him. Now do not get me wrong, I am NOT saying that it would have made a different result. I AM saying that it would have made a BETTER match. It was Robertson's choice to play the way he did so he has no right to then say that the tournament should be shortened.

Welcome snooky147 and agreed. Robertson was tired, there is no doubt, I was there and I saw it with my own eyes, but Dott who had the late semi final, and a very hard fought one was even more tired and the scandal that hit his management only added to it.

I does always make for a better match when the players are not dead on their feet and don't get bogged down by negativity and unecessary slow play. Claiming otherwise is just nonsense or sadistic pleasure in seing men suffer instead of enjoying their exceptional skills.

Postby Wildey

im not a fan of the 3rd/4th play off TBH its something they did try in the early days of the crucible and i guess it did not work and it was dropped.

Postby GJ

3rd / 4th play off is BS

the 2 losing semis players are gutted and just want to go home

stupid idea IMO

Postby snooky147

As long as they finish the semis on friday and entertain the crowd somehow on saturday, then I dont care what they do. If you think, in your opinion that 3rd/4th play off is stupid, well your entitled to that opinion, even in capitals. :chin:

Postby Bourne

Nah 3rd playoff sucks, coming 2nd in a World Champs is hard enough to take but to imagine players fighting for third place is just bonkers, would only work if Barry introduced a medal-system into the tournament and no-one wants that.
Maybe they could interlink the Legends Tour in a space on the final weekend ?

Postby Wildey

i honestly think last thing players want is to win the semi on friday then tweedling their thumbs all saturday wasting off nervous energy getting tired in the process waiting for a 2pm start on sunday.

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:i honestly think last thing players want is to win the semi on friday then tweedling their thumbs all saturday wasting off nervous energy getting tired in the process waiting for a 2pm start on sunday.

They have long waits during the tournament anyway, I mean Trump or Robbo will be waiting around for nigh on a week between R1 and R2 ! And i'm sure players have won semis by the Friday night and not had to play the Saturday sessions a few times before so it's no unprecedented. It will help the players for the final and make it the spectacle it deserves to be, imo.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:i honestly think last thing players want is to win the semi on friday then tweedling their thumbs all saturday wasting off nervous energy getting tired in the process waiting for a 2pm start on sunday.

They have long waits during the tournament anyway, I mean Trump or Robbo will be waiting around for nigh on a week between R1 and R2 ! And i'm sure players have won semis by the Friday night and not had to play the Saturday sessions a few times before so it's no unprecedented. It will help the players for the final and make it the spectacle it deserves to be, imo.

but once the semis over they want to get stuck in trying to win the tournament.

and another thing its a cop out blaming the format just be men and get on with it.

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:

and another thing its a cop out blaming the format just be men and get on with it.

It's a small change that can help both players and specatators in a big way :huh2:

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:

It's a small change that can help both players and specatators in a big way :huh2:

i dont think it will help the players and how will no play on the saturday help spectators.

Postby Bourne

Helps players by giving them more recovery time for the biggest match in their lives, and helps the spectators because they want to see the biggest match played by two players who are able to give something like their best <ok>

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Helps players by giving them more recovery time for the biggest match in their lives, and helps the spectators because they want to see the biggest match played by two players who are able to give something like their best <ok>

they playing in a world final they should be able to run a marathon in the morning and still put in their best in the final...

seriousl;y this is some modern excuse claptrap bullocks.

Postby Wildey

the only player ive seen genunly tired in a final was Parrott in 1989 the others have been using it as a excuse for playing rubbish.