Post a reply

Latest Provisional Rankings Discussion Topic

Postby Roland

Currently there is only one place to find the up to date provisional rankings list which is here (also linked in Hot Topics for quick reference).

For those who don't understand, the rankings are worked out in the same way as they were before, except they are refreshed more frequently, always containing the previous 24 months worth of tournament points. This means that the next set of rankings will contain the existing points minus those tournaments from 2 years ago which will expire by the time of the next "refresh".

As it stands now with the Shanghai, World Open and EPTC1 and 2 events still to come before the next refresh the top 16 is as follows:

1. Neil Robertson
2. John Higgins
3. Ali Carter
4. Ronnie O'Sullivan
5. Stephen Maguire
6. Shaun Murphy
7. Ding Junhui
8. Mark J Williams
9. Mark Selby
10. Mark Allen
11. Stephen Hendry
12. Graeme Dott
13. Marco Fu
14. Mark King
15. Peter Ebdon
16. Matthew Stevens

This topic is to talk about the rankings and how they will pan out over the coming season. Who will be the movers? Who will lose out after good performances from the 2008/09 season have expired? Who will gain those all important spots at the Masters and the Crucible?

Re: Latest Provisional Rankings Discussion Topic

Postby Rocket_ron

its gone all complicated no i dont understand. it used to be current season added to previous season to get the prov rank. now its this season added 2 previous season and cut offs. just confussing.

not sure if i like it

Postby GJ

rocket_ron wrote:its gone all complicated no i dont understand. it used to be current season added to previous season to get the prov rank. now its this season added 2 previous season and cut offs. just confussing.

not sure if i like it

i like that list

:afro: :D :ahh:

Postby Roland

:huh2:

It's really easy. It's exactly the same but instead of waiting an entire season, you do it more often.

What's confusing is that World Snooker have announced it and put it into action without doing the necessary thing of keeping a comprehensive up to date provisional list like they used to do. If they did it properly there would be no problem and everybody would understand.

If you take the season start to be August and the season end to be May, before you had:

August year 1 to May year 1 + August year 2 to May year 2 = Official ranking list

the provisional list was:

August year 2 to May year 2 + events in year 3 as they happen = Provisional list which becomes effective May year 3

what you have now is:

August year 1 to May year 1 + August year 2 to May year 2 = Official ranking list until mid-October

then for provisionals you go:

Mid-October year 1 to May year 1 + August year 2 to May year 2 + events as they happen in year 3 until mid-October = provisional list which becomes effective mid-October

It's the same formula. There should be no confusion.

Postby Wildey

i understand it and the frustrating thing for me is World Snooker issuing a Ranking List thats totally pointless confusing players all over the shop.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I'm surprised to see Matthew Stevens back in the Top 16. Do the Bahrian points from 2008 go next time or do they stay until the update after that. I thought Fu would be gone by now but he seems to have come good again. Will there be an update between the UK and Masters. He has a lot of points to defend from that this year.

Postby Wildey

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I'm surprised to see Matthew Stevens back in the Top 16. Do the Bahrian points from 2008 go next time or do they stay until the update after that. I thought Fu would be gone by now but he seems to have come good again. Will there be an update between the UK and Masters. He has a lot of points to defend from that this year.

Mathew Stevens Barhain Runner Up 4,000 points and UK Last 16 2850 goes after EPTC2

Postby Tubberlad

wildJONESEYE wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I'm surprised to see Matthew Stevens back in the Top 16. Do the Bahrian points from 2008 go next time or do they stay until the update after that. I thought Fu would be gone by now but he seems to have come good again. Will there be an update between the UK and Masters. He has a lot of points to defend from that this year.

Mathew Stevens Barhain Runner Up 4,000 points and UK Last 16 2850 goes after EPTC2

That's a nice bit of points to make up... great to see his name up their again, like Dott I don't think he should be outside the top 16, but then again it's up to him to prove that.

Postby Wildey

His Re appearance in the top 16 is hanging by those 2 Tournaments when that goes he will really got to get his potting boots on .

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Dott will be safe for now. He has little to defend until the later part of the season. Ding has a very poor 2008-09 so he should move up a bit. The same with Ken Doherty. Anyone who was playing poorly in late 2008 have a good chnce to move in the next couple of updates.

Postby Wildey

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Dott will be safe for now. He has little to defend until the later part of the season. Ding has a very poor 2008-09 so he should move up a bit. The same with Ken Doherty. Anyone who was playing poorly in late 2008 have a good chnce to move in the next couple of updates.

on that principle Hendry will be no 1 soon :redneck: <laugh>

Postby Tubberlad

If I gave my opinion based top 16:

1. Mark Selby
2. Neil Robertson
3. Ronnie O'Sullivan
4. Ding Junhui
5. Mark Williams
6. Mark Allen
7. Shaun Murphy
8. Graeme Dott
9. Ali Carter
10. Stephen Maguire
11. Liang Wenbo
12. Stephen Hendry
13. Marco Fu
14. Peter Ebdon
15. Matthew Stevens
16. Ricky Walden

Postby Bourne

thetubberlad wrote:
Bourne wrote:Can I ask why it's called PROVISIONAL rankings when it should be actual rankings ?

Because they haven't come into force yet

When do they ?

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:
Bourne wrote:Can I ask why it's called PROVISIONAL rankings when it should be actual rankings ?

Because they haven't come into force yet

When do they ?

The Paul Hunter Classic (EPTC1)
Shanghai Masters
World Open
The Brugge Open (EPTC2)

still to be played with potentially 18,000 points to be won before provisional become official.

Postby Wildey

Latest Rankings after todays play http://prosnookerblog.com/rankings/2010 ... -rankings/

Igor Figueiredo is at 62 and Anthony Mcgill at 60 inside the top 64 as new pros already.

Jimmy White moves up 3 places to 70 with more points to be won tomorrow for him.

Steve Davis despite a good run has not moved but he has further chance tomorrow.

Postby Casey

Under last years system Trump would have been sitting 40+ on the one year list, now he is 23rd and only 2900 points off the top 16. A place in the elite is possible before the Welsh Open cut off point. <ok>

Postby Roland

Selby in 9th is 4000 points behind Ding in 8th. That's a whole ranking final old style. But then I suppose the second period of the 2008/09 season wasn't the most fruitful for Selby as he wasn't in Bahrain and got KO'd in round 1 of the UK by Mark Williams so he should get those points back on the others at the next split.

Liang Wenbo is dropping down the list but his good results came less than 2 years ago so he should springboard back up a bit.

It's good this rolling rankings isn't it? Loads of connotations.

Postby Wildey

if they had gone with the old style Rankings with The Extra PTC Points.

The Top 16 Provisional after EPTC1 Would be

1 Mark Williams
2 Ding Junhui
3 Ronnie O'Sullivan
4 Neil Robertson
5 John Higgins
6 Ali Carter
7 Mark Selby
8 Stephen Maguire
9 Mark Davis
10 Jamie Cope
11 Greame Dott
12 Mark Allen
13 Stephen Hendry
14 Shaun Murphy
15 Liang Wenbo
16 Ken Doherty

Postby randam05

Where an earth does this ranking list come from!? Mark davis no. 9? Ding jun hui no.2? Neil robertson down to 4? I would understand williams being first and Davis 9 if it was because of PTC but thrn ding down to 2? without entering one or doing anything yet this season.

Postby Wildey

that is how the rankings would look if they went with last season 1 year list like they used to plus start of this season 5 PTC etc

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:if they had gone with the old style Rankings with The Extra PTC Points.

The Top 16 Provisional after EPTC1 Would be

1 Mark Williams
2 Ding Junhui
3 Ronnie O'Sullivan
4 Neil Robertson
5 John Higgins
6 Ali Carter
7 Mark Selby
8 Stephen Maguire
9 Mark Davis
10 Jamie Cope
11 Greame Dott
12 Mark Allen
13 Stephen Hendry
14 Shaun Murphy
15 Liang Wenbo
16 Ken Doherty

Wow, Thanks wild for going to the effort of working these out.
I feel that list is a fair reflection, maybe robertson over ronnie, but williams and ding have sure returned to form

Postby Wildey

it wasn't a effort it took me 10 minutes with lunch lol

its totally pointless but it shows the difference..... Doherty is actually 28th, on that list hes 16th.

but under the old system that is how they would start the shanghai masters.

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:Ah okay but Robertson down to 4? despite winning the WC seems strange. and a pretty good season too.

this was last seasons 1 year list http://prosnookerblog.com/rankings/2009 ... -rankings/

http://www.110sport.tv/news/601

what are these on about They havent a clue what rankings is it seems <doh>