Post a reply

Re: Latest Provisional Rankings Discussion Topic

Postby The Cueist

randam05 wrote:I just go by world snookers official rankings.

We dont have much choice really do we mate. ;)

Rolling rankings,For realists.

Results from two years ago are old news.

It is all good for those players that choose to move . <ok>

Postby Rocket_ron

The Cueist wrote:
randam05 wrote:I just go by world snookers official rankings.

We dont have much choice really do we mate. ;)

Rolling rankings,For realists.

Results from two years ago are old news.

It is all good for those players that choose to move . <ok>

yes just a one year rolling would be fine

Postby GJ

i go by the rankings where

robbo WC is number 1 :afro: <cool>

any other rankings are clearly

:bs:

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:Jimmy at 58. The back door could be a good way up the ranking...

Jimmy is not at 58 he is 69

this is wrong and pointless http://www.global-snooker.com/rankings- ... nkings.asp

this is correct http://prosnookerblog.com/rankings/2010 ... -rankings/

i cant believe the confusion world snooker are creating with carrieng points on top of 2 full season making it a 3 year ranking list.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:Jimmy at 58. The back door could be a good way up the ranking...

Jimmy is not at 58 he is 69

this is wrong and pointless http://www.global-snooker.com/rankings- ... nkings.asp

this is correct http://prosnookerblog.com/rankings/2010 ... -rankings/

i cant believe the confusion world snooker are creating with carrieng points on top of 2 full season making it a 3 year ranking list.

<ok>

cant believe how hard a job so many people are having making sense of the rolling rankings <doh>

Postby Wildey

yes but they go to a site to get the updates like they have been doing for years and hey presto this season its totally cockerel eyed lol

Postby The Cueist

wildJONESEYE wrote:yes but they go to a site to get the updates like they have been doing for years and hey presto this season its totally willy eyed lol

Well i cant wait until the UK in december to see what the rankings are on the Monday after the final.

Should be interesting and will give a mid season barometer of players forms. <ok>

Postby Wildey

Now that Ronnie has withdrawn from shanghai he could be down to 8th in the provisionals if Ding and Mark Williams can make the quarters and Murphy and maguire wins their opening match.

Postby Casey

wildJONESEYE wrote:Now that Ronnie has withdrawn from shanghai he could be down to 8th in the provisionals if Ding and Mark Williams can make the quarters and Murphy and maguire wins their opening match.

Maguire going down in round 1 <ok>

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:Now that Ronnie has withdrawn from shanghai he could be down to 8th in the provisionals if Ding and Mark Williams can make the quarters and Murphy and maguire wins their opening match.

Maguire going down in round 1 <ok>

before the PTC last weekend id have said trump has no chance but he not only won he won in front of a large crowd for the first time as a pro and beaten murphy along the way.

Trump at long last i believe is capable of moving to the next level and he has every chance of starting that transition next week.

Postby Smart

rocket_ron wrote:
StalinESQ wrote::limp: rankings :limp:

Smart, why dont you like the rankings?

R-ron - good evening, and thank-you for the enquiry. <ok>

I happen to believe that way too much time is spent discussing them and far too much credence is given to them. They are a way for the WSA to put people into slots in effect for the tournaments that we have, nothing more, nothing less - is my view.

For example, let say ROS slips to WN8 as a result of not travelling to Shanghai and playing in a couple of PTCs etc........ does that really make him the 8th best player on this planet. I have my own idea about who is the top 4, top 8, top 16. I dont need a ranking list to tell me what it thinks.

I also find that the rankings are very geeky - they might float peoples boat - but not mine.

There are many (MANY) who when we get to the final ranker of the season and they are juggling figures in their head about what it means if X reaches the quarters and if Y can win his first round match........ :redneck:

BUT just to contradict, slightly, the only snooker I am really interested in is RANKING snooker but the reason for that is not because of the effect it has on the ranking list, its because the matches are proper matches, they mean something..... they are PURE snooker, there is no bastardisation, its blood and guts. :wave:

:shake:

Postby Wildey

they mean something because of ranking points <ok>

plain and simple without those points the meaning on them would be different.

Postby Wildey

PTC without Ranking points there would no way you would get the field you get so the matches would not be as interesting.

they tried that last season with the challenge events and it flopped.

Postby Smart

wildJONESEYE wrote:PTC without Ranking points there would no way you would get the field you get so the matches would not be as interesting.

they tried that last season with the challenge events and it flopped.

which is where the frustration comes in, with ranking points, yet no scoring, no streaming, no nothing <laugh>

Postby randam05

Well I had an email back from worldsnooker.com saying that there would be a new website up n running for the shanghai masters, so if they dissapoint I will be sending a rather agressive email back! they will deserve it and probably already do, but giving them a chance.

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:Well I had an email back from worldsnooker.com saying that there would be a new website up n running for the shanghai masters, so if they dissapoint I will be sending a rather agressive email back! they will deserve it and probably already do, but giving them a chance.

really ?

they actually said shanghai masters in a e mail ?

well that's good enough for me and ill be using your e mail to fuel my aggression as well lol

Postby Monique

Well guys I think we all got it wrong until now and what is on WPBSA Website is indeed the official rankings

look at this http://www.worldsnooker.com/world_rankings.htm
World Rankings

Please see below world rankings after the 2010 Roewe Shanghai Masters. Please note that at this stage Ronnie O'Sullivan has not been awarded any points for the Paul Hunter Classic or the Roewe Shanghai Masters, but a decision is yet to be made on whether he will receive points for these two events.

Also note that the rankings below are as if Ali Carter wins the Shanghai final (at the time of writing he leads 7-5). If Jamie Burnett wins he moves up to 27th.

The rankings now work as a two-year rolling list. The points for each tournament two years ago will be removed when the corresponding tournament during the current season has finished.

There will be three 'cut-off points' during the 2010/11 season, when the seeding list will be updated.

The first cut-off point is after EPTC2, which runs from October 1-3. The ranking points for the 2008 Northern Ireland Trophy, Roewe Shanghai Masters and Grand Prix will then be removed. The updated list will then be used for seedings for the UK Championship and the Masters.

The second cut-off point is after the UK Championship (December 4-12), when the list will be used to seed the German Masters and Welsh Open. The third cut-off point is after the Welsh Open (February 14-20), when the list will be used to seed the China Open and Betfred.com World Snooker Championship.

So this means that we have a true rolling ranking system BUT when it comes to seeding in tournaments, what is used is not the official current ranking, it is the ranking at the last cut-off point. In this new system there is no more provisional rankings, just official rankings. So what Matt's "provisional rankings" show is only where players stand when it comes to the next cut-off list.

Postby Roland

http://prosnookerblog.com/2010/09/12/wo ... continues/

In effect nothing has changed except the "official" nature of rankings. i.e. Matthew Stevens is now officially back in the top 16 even if he drops back out after the World Open, he has officially been ranked 16 this season. It also means we can talk in terms of players being ranked World Number One in terms of weeks like in tennis and golf.

Matt's provisional list is still the one to watch though. That's the one that counts. Nothing has changed in essence apart from being able to refer to players as "Officially world number x" based on the World Snooker website official world rankings list.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:http://prosnookerblog.com/2010/09/12/world-rankings-the-confusion-continues/

In effect nothing has changed except the "official" nature of rankings. i.e. Matthew Stevens is now officially back in the top 16 even if he drops back out after the World Open, he has officially been ranked 16 this season. It also means we can talk in terms of players being ranked World Number One in terms of weeks like in tennis and golf.

Matt's provisional list is still the one to watch though. That's the one that counts. Nothing has changed in essence apart from being able to refer to players as "Officially world number x" based on the World Snooker website official world rankings list.

yes but at least now we know why they piling on points on top of the 2 year list.

they were waiting for the shanghai to come along where they add x amount and take off 2 years ago x amount like it happens in other sports

when it comes to taking off PTC Points in 2012/2013 they then can take off 2010 PTC1 points at the same time adding 2012 PTC1 Points etc.but this year there wasn't any PTC Points to take off so there wasent any like for like tournaments in the 2 year cycle until the shanghai masters.