Post a reply

Scrapping two-year tour cards - practical example

Postby gninnur karona

Now that the composition of the top 64 end season is known (if not yet the final placings within the 64) this appeared to be a good time to present a case example of how different the tour would look next season if 2-year tour cards were scrapped and tour places were retained by the top 80 on the two-year list plus top 16 of the rest from the one-year list. Although I've double-checked, if there are any errors in my calculations please post.

62 of the top 64 on the official list are in my revised top 64 - they aren't listed below. The difference is explained by Jackson Page and Andy Hicks who, despite being amongst the top 64 ranking point earners over the last two seasons, aren't in the top 64 on the official list because WST do not count the points they earned in the 2020-21 season.

The list of all players and how they would fare. For those players with different outcomes the figures in brackets correspond to the ranking points earned during 2021-22 (or in case of amateurs points awarded counting towards the one-year list only).

CURRENT KEEP TOUR CARD VIA TOP 64 AND KEEP POINTS; PROPOSED RETAIN TOUR CARD VIA TOP 80 PLACE AND KEEP POINTS
Tian Pengfei; Stuart Carrington

CURRENT KEEP TOUR CARD BUT DO NOT KEEP POINTS; PROPOSED RETAIN TOUR CARD VIA TOP 80 PLACE AND KEEP POINTS
Ashley Hugill (45000); Allan Taylor (38000)

CURRENT ISSUED NEW TOUR CARD BUT DO NOT KEEP POINTS; PROPOSED ISSUED NEW TOUR CARD VIA TOP 16 OF THE REST ONE-YEAR LIST AND KEEP POINTS
Michael White (39000); David Lilley (33500)

CURRENT RELEGATED TOUR; PROPOSED RETAIN TOUR CARD VIA TOP 80 PLACE AND KEEP POINTS
Michael Holt (31000); Kurt Maflin (14000); Martin O’Donnell (26500); Akani Songsermsawad (27500);
Andrew Higginson (19500); Gao Yang (33000); Simon Lichtenberg (22000)

CURRENT RELEGATED TOUR; PROPOSED RETAIN TOUR CARD VIA TOP 16 OF THE REST ONE-YEAR LIST AND KEEP POINTS
Rory McLeod (27000); Fergal O’Brien (25500); Lukas Kleckers (25500); Ben Hancorn (20000)

CURRENT RELEGATED TOUR; PROPOSED RETAIN TOUR CARD VIA 17th PLACE ON REST ONE-YEAR LIST AND KEEP POINTS
Ashley Carty (19000) *** because Si Jiahui in top 16 already awarded tour card via WSF championship

CURRENT KEEP TOUR CARD BECAUSE 1st of 2 YEARS; PROPOSED RETAIN TOUR CARD VIA TOP 80 PLACE AND KEEP POINTS
Cao Yupeng; Jackson Page; Andy Hicks; Yuan Sijun; Xu Si; Chang Bingyu

CURRENT KEEP TOUR CARD BECAUSE 1st of 2 YEARS; PROPOSED RETAIN TOUR CARD VIA TOP 16 OF THE REST ONE-YEAR LIST AND KEEP POINTS
Duane Jones; Peter Lines; Lei Peifan; Wu Yize; Mitchell Mann; Zhang Anda; Hammad Miah; Zhang Jiankang; Louis Heathcote

CURRENT REMAINS AMATEUR; PROPOSED ISSUED TOUR CARD VIA TOP 16 OF THE REST ONE-YEAR LIST AND KEEP POINTS
Michael Georgiou (20000)

CURRENT RELEGATED FROM TOUR; PROPOSED RELEGATED FROM TOUR
Steven Hallworth; Nigel Bond; Ken Doherty; Zhao Jianbo; Lee Walker; Peter Devlin; Aaron Hill;
Farakh Ajaib; Jamie Wilson; Zak Surety; Iulian Boiko; Stephen Hendry; Sean Maddocks

CURRENT KEEP TOUR CARD BECAUSE 1st of 2 YEARS; PROPOSED RELEGATED FROM TOUR
Gerard Greene (18500); Jamie O’Neill (9000); Ian Burns (13000); Igor Figueiredo (0); Chen Zifan (3000);
Jimmy White (6000); Craig Steadman (16500); Fraser Patrick (13500); Barry Pinches (13500);
Andrew Pagett (13500); Michael Judge (8000); Alfie Burden (7000); Dean Young (7000); Ng On Yee (3000); Marco Fu (0); Reanne Evans (0)

EARNED TOUR CARD 2022-23 BY OTHER MEANS BUT DO NOT KEEP POINTS; PROPOSED KEEP POINTS
Si Jiahui (31000); Dylan Emery (12500)

Several observations.

Under the official system the final retainers of tour places earned 65500 over two-years or 33500 2021-22. Proposed system the figures would have been 48500 and 19000.

Under the official system Ashley Hugill will become the latest victim of being reassigned zero points. At minimum this will prove a setback (Scott Donaldson and Elliot Slessor have suffered the same fate). Being well inside the top 64 on the one-year list Ashley Hugill should be looking forward to building on that. The system shouldn't be working against him.

Gao Yang is just outside the top 64 on the one-year list and has been relegated. Again the system should not be working against him. Hopefully he succeeds at QSchool but he merits a tour place next season with the ranking points he has earned at the table.

How many of the four wildcards deserve a place on tour for 2022-23? Only Ken Doherty came close 2021-22 to earning a place on merit.

The two women on tour recorded one victory between them 2021-22. Difficult to justify raising the quota of women on tour from two to four.

Martin O'Donnell, Andrew Higginson and Michael Holt (group A) lost their tour cards whilst Gerard Greene, Alfie Burden, Barry Pinches (group B) retained theirs. 2016-17 Alfie Burden finished ahead of Martin O'Donnell on the one-year list. Over the last five seasons each of the group A players have consistently finished ahead of each of the group B players on the one-year lists (NB: whenever group B players have been on tour). So who best merits a tour place?

To recap this is a proposal to scrap two-year tour cards; retain the top 80 from the two-year list; retain the top 16 of the remainder from the one-year list (including amateurs); all players regardless of whether they were pro or not 2021-22, and regardless of how they earned a tour card for 2022-23, should keep the points they earned during 2021-22 to be counted in their two-year tallies end 2022-23.

By reducing the amounts necessary to retain a tour place provide easier stepping stones to help develope players' career paths.

All comments welcome.

Re: Scrapping two-year tour cards - practical example

Postby chengdufan

At first glance, I like the look of it, but I'll have to spend a bit more time with it to give a full review.
I do of course think the current points system is a key issue, but I think you're right to highlight the 0 points for those outside the 64 as being the number 1 problem.

Postby gninnur karona

chengdufan wrote:At first glance, I like the look of it, but I'll have to spend a bit more time with it to give a full review.
I do of course think the current points system is a key issue, but I think you're right to highlight the 0 points for those outside the 64 as being the number 1 problem.

Looking forward to that.

Here's the same list with your end-season ranking positions in brackets. An * denotes played no ranking events during 2020-21.

CURRENT KEEP TOUR CARD VIA TOP 64 AND KEEP POINTS # PROPOSED RETAIN TOUR CARD VIA TOP 80 PLACE AND KEEP POINTS
Tian Pengfei (75); Stuart Carrington (66)

CURRENT KEEP TOUR CARD BUT DO NOT KEEP POINTS # PROPOSED RETAIN TOUR CARD VIA TOP 80 PLACE AND KEEP POINTS
Ashley Hugill (55); Allan Taylor (84)

CURRENT ISSUED NEW TOUR CARD BUT DO NOT KEEP POINTS # PROPOSED ISSUED NEW TOUR CARD VIA TOP 16 OF THE REST ONE-YEAR LIST AND KEEP POINTS
Michael White (60); David Lilley (90)

CURRENT RELEGATED TOUR # PROPOSED RETAIN TOUR CARD VIA TOP 80 PLACE AND KEEP POINTS
Michael Holt (77); Kurt Maflin (50); Martin O’Donnell (68); Akani Songsermsawad (63);
Andrew Higginson (78); Gao Yang (100); Simon Lichtenberg (102)

CURRENT RELEGATED TOUR # PROPOSED RETAIN TOUR CARD VIA TOP 16 OF THE REST ONE-YEAR LIST AND KEEP POINTS
Rory McLeod (98); Fergal O’Brien (65); Lukas Kleckers (94); Ben Hancorn (81)

CURRENT RELEGATED TOUR # PROPOSED RETAIN TOUR CARD VIA 17th PLACE ON REST ONE-YEAR LIST AND KEEP POINTS
Ashley Carty (80) ### because Si Jiahui (70) in top 16 already awarded tour card via WSF championship

CURRENT KEEP TOUR CARD BECAUSE 1st of 2 YEARS # PROPOSED RETAIN TOUR CARD VIA TOP 80 PLACE AND KEEP POINTS
Cao Yupeng (71*); Jackson Page (49); Andy Hicks (76); Yuan Sijun (56); Xu Si (92); Chang Bingyu (83)

CURRENT KEEP TOUR CARD BECAUSE 1st of 2 YEARS # PROPOSED RETAIN TOUR CARD VIA TOP 16 OF THE REST ONE-YEAR LIST AND KEEP POINTS
Duane Jones (88); Peter Lines (87); Lei Peifan (79); Wu Yize (93*); Mitchell Mann (85);
Zhang Anda (64*); Hammad Miah (110*); Zhang Jiankang (119*); Louis Heathcote (82)

CURRENT REMAINS AMATEUR # PROPOSED ISSUED TOUR CARD VIA TOP 16 OF THE REST ONE-YEAR LIST AND KEEP POINTS
Michael Georgiou (118*)

CURRENT RELEGATED FROM TOUR # PROPOSED RELEGATED FROM TOUR
Steven Hallworth (86); Nigel Bond (101); Ken Doherty (89); Zhao Jianbo (95); Lee Walker (105=);
Peter Devlin (116); Aaron Hill (107); Farakh Ajaib (123); Jamie Wilson (120); Zak Surety (111);
Iulian Boiko (124); Stephen Hendry (149); Sean Maddocks (137)

CURRENT KEEP TOUR CARD BECAUSE 1st of 2 YEARS # PROPOSED RELEGATED FROM TOUR
Gerard Greene (104); Jamie O’Neill (99); Ian Burns (108); Igor Figueiredo (117); Chen Zifan (115);
Jimmy White (114); Craig Steadman (97); Fraser Patrick (91); Barry Pinches (112);
Andrew Pagett (125*); Michael Judge (133*); Alfie Burden (132*); Dean Young (131);
Ng On Yee (140*); Marco Fu (165*); Reanne Evans (138)

EARNED TOUR CARD 2022-23 BY OTHER MEANS BUT DO NOT KEEP POINTS # PROPOSED KEEP POINTS
Si Jiahui (70); Dylan Emery (127)

Postby GeF

I do not have a look in details, but I have one observation :
There is a 2-years card system because the ranking system is over 2 years.
In your proposition, players are allowed a 1-year card but the 2 years ranking remains...
So a majority of relegated players came from players in their 1st year (despite the fact that top 16 of 1-year are kept on the tour)

Agree with the proposition of keeping points for all players.
Imagine Hugill or Lilley becoming World champion instead of ROS (OK this need a lot of imagination), they start the new season with 0 point with the current system.