Post a reply

2022/23 World Snooker Tour Qualification Announced

Postby HappyCamper

Ronseal!

https://wpbsa.com/2022-23-world-snooker-tour-cards/

Some updates since the original announcement. Asian Q School was announced (four), two extra cards for ABSA, reduction in CBSA entries from two to one, and two wild cards.

Top 4 players from 2021/2022 one-year ranking list following the 2022 World Championship (not already qualified)** 4
Ashley Hugill (27) - WPBSA One Year Ranking List Not Already Qualified
Michael White (30) - WPBSA One Year Ranking List Not Already Qualified
Allan Taylor (37) - WPBSA One Year Ranking List Not Already Qualified
David Lilley (46) - WPBSA One Year Ranking List Not Already Qualified

CBSA China Tour**: 1
Péng Yìsōng - CBSA Rankings

Q School - Sheffield**: 12
Rod Lawler (50) - Q School 2022 Event 1 Winner
Fergal O'Brien (50) - Q School 2022 Event 1 Winner
Andy Lee (41) - Q School 2022 Event 1 Winner
Bái Lǎngníng (20) - Q School 2022 Event 1 Winner
Adam Duffy (33) - Q School 2022 Event 2 Winner
Sanderson Lam (28) - Q School 2022 Event 2 Winner
Aaron Hill (20) - Q School 2022 Event 2 Winner
Zak Surety (30) - Q School 2022 Event 2 Winner
Lukas Kleckers (26) - Q School 2022 Event 3 Winner
John Astley (33) - Q School 2022 Event 3 Winner
James Cahill (26) - Q School 2022 Event 3 Winner
Jenson Kendrick (21) - Q School 2022 Event 3 Winner

Q School - Bangkok**: 4
Muhammad Asif (40) - Q School 2022 Event 1 Winner
Dechawat Poomjaeng (43) - Q School 2022 Event 2 Winner
Himanshu Dinesh Jain (30) - Q School 2022 Event 2 Winner
Asjad Iqbal - Q School 2022 Order of Merit

WPBSA Q Tour**: 2
Sean O'Sullivan (27) - 2021-22 Q Tour Rankings
Julien Leclercq (19) - 2021-22 Q Tour Play-Off Winner

WSF Championship**: 1
Sī Jiāhuī (19) - 2022 WSF Champion

WSF Under-18 Junior Championship**: 1
Anton Kazakov (17) - 2022 WSF Junior Champion

World Women’s Snooker Qualifiers**: 2
Nutcharut Wongharuthai (22) - 2022 Women's World Champion
Rebecca Kenna (33) - WWS World Rankings (4th)

EBSA European Qualifiers**: 4
Oliver Brown (27) - 2021 EBSA Champion
Dylan Emery (20) - 2021 EBSA U-21 Champion
Andres Petrov (25) - 2022 EBSA Champion
Ben Mertens (17) - 2022 EBSA U-21 Champion

APBSF Asia Pacific Qualifier**: 1
Ryan Thomerson (27) - 2022 APBSF Champion

PABSA Americas Qualifier**: 1
Viktor Sarkis (30) - 2021 PABSA Champion

ABSC Africas Qualifier**: 1
Mohamed Ibrahim (32) - 2022 ABSF Champion

Invitational**: 2
Stephen Hendry (53) - Reward for services to the game
Ken Doherty (52) - Reward for services to the game
Last edited by HappyCamper on 01 Jul 2022, edited 28 times in total.

Re: 2022/23 World Snooker Tour Qualification Announced

Postby lhpirnie

gninnur karona wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:World Women’s Snooker Qualifiers**: 2

Will these go to both finalists of the women's world championship?

Or will they be allocated another way?

It's worth noting that of the four semi-finalists, only Nutcharut Wongharuthai has made a break over 50. Awarding 2 new tour cards isn't going to be a glorious success.

Postby HappyCamper

gninnur karona wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:World Women’s Snooker Qualifiers**: 2

Will these go to both finalists of the women's world championship?

Or will they be allocated another way?

one slot to the winner of the women's world championship, unless already on the main tour whence it will revert to the rankings. the second slot determined by the two year ranking list.

interestingly both pros evans and ng on-yee lost their quarter finals. so it will be one of wendy jans, jamie hunter, becca kenna, or mink wongharuthai.

Postby The_Abbott

will we have 128 players next season or 122 so that Murphy gets the chance to beat a person that shouldn't be in the same room or will we have even less players!

I wish after q-school is done and they have places they just give out tour cards to the next highest and be done with it rather than have Murphy moan.

Postby lhpirnie

The_Abbott wrote:will we have 128 players next season or 122 so that Murphy gets the chance to beat a person that shouldn't be in the same room or will we have even less players!

I wish after q-school is done and they have places they just give out tour cards to the next highest and be done with it rather than have Murphy moan.

Oh I don't think there will be any more players make the same mistake as Murphy.

There are almost never exactly 128 players anyway. Somebody gets sick, or hasn't travelled. There will always be the need for top-up players. It's also quite useful to have a few spare places to award to local wildcards, as we have in the Welsh Open. At the moment it's down to 120, as Marco Fu isn't here, and Igor Figueiredo has quit. One or two other players seem a bit absent as well. If the numbers get really low, then you're right, they should definitely award (perhaps 1-year) tour cards to put the top top-up players on firmer ground (e.g. if they have a mortgage).

Postby HappyCamper

The_Abbott wrote:will we have 128 players next season or 122 so that Murphy gets the chance to beat a person that shouldn't be in the same room or will we have even less players!

the numbers from the announcement come up to 124. though there are still some unknowns; how many outside the 64 will qualify for the crucible, if anyone on their first year will get into the top 64, and how many old farts will get a new wildcard.

there are also oddities such as the european slots. the 2022 event is due to take place in spring, but the two cards have already gone to the winners from the delayed 2021 championship.

Postby lhpirnie

HappyCamper wrote:

the numbers from the announcement come up to 124. though there are still some unknowns; how many outside the 64 will qualify for the crucible, if anyone on their first year will get into the top 64, and how many old farts will get a new wildcard.

there are also oddities such as the european slots. the 2022 event is due to take place in spring, but the two cards have already gone to the winners from the delayed 2021 championship.

Yes and it's also possible that someone might actually.... retire! I know that's a bit unlikely though...

There really are a lot of unknowns, especially continental tournaments and players getting into the top-64 in their first year. What I really hope doesn't happen is that they start retrospectively awarding tour cards to beaten finalists. That's just rewarding someone for being in the right half of the draw.

Postby Minimum Break

lhpirnie wrote:

Oh I don't think there will be any more players make the same mistake as Murphy.

There are almost never exactly 128 players anyway. Somebody gets sick, or hasn't travelled. There will always be the need for top-up players. It's also quite useful to have a few spare places to award to local wildcards, as we have in the Welsh Open. At the moment it's down to 120, as Marco Fu isn't here, and Igor Figueiredo has quit. One or two other players seem a bit absent as well. If the numbers get really low, then you're right, they should definitely award (perhaps 1-year) tour cards to put the top top-up players on firmer ground (e.g. if they have a mortgage).

I don't think having a Tour Card would make a difference to a player with a mortgage as it doesn't guarantee you any income.

I think it would be better in the future to have significantly less than 128 Tour Cards. The fields for the 128 player tournaments could be filled by a mix of the Q School and Q Tour order of merits. It's a bit of a farce that there are normally 128 Professional players when only about half of them are actually making a living from playing snooker alone, and why the need for everyone on the Tour to be called a Professional, I don't understand.

Postby HappyCamper

looks like we're finally getting the asia-pacific q school that had been planned before that whole covid-19 thing happened.

to take place in bangkok at the start of june. will award four cards from two tournaments. players will only be allowed to enter either the uk or thailand based event, not both.

https://wpbsa.com/new-asia-oceania-q-sc ... al-growth/

Postby gninnur karona

HappyCamper wrote:looks like we're finally getting the asia-pacific q school that had been planned before that whole covid-19 thing happened.

to take place in bangkok at the start of june. will award four cards from two tournaments. players will only be allowed to enter either the uk or thailand based event, not both.

Positive news. However, assuming that none of those on the 1st year of two-year tour cards integrate the top 64 at end season (probable but not yet certain) and all those entitled take up their places (are Victor Sarkis and the African ticket doubtful?), the additional four tickets brings the total number of players on tour next season up to 128. Potentially to be added to that two wildcards for Ken Doherty and Stephen Hendry (racing certainties?), and new cards for anyone qualifying for the Crucible that is in need. A tour of 130+?

Postby gninnur karona

HappyCamper wrote:looks like we're finally getting the asia-pacific q school that had been planned before that whole covid-19 thing happened.

Positive news. However, assuming that none of those on the 1st year of two-year tour cards integrate the top 64 at end season (probable but not yet certain) and all those entitled take up their places (are Victor Sarkis and the African ticket doubtful?), the additional four tickets brings the total number of players on tour next season up to 128. Potentially to be added to that two wildcards for Ken Doherty and Stephen Hendry (racing certainties?), and new cards for anyone qualifying for the Crucible that is in need. A tour of 130+?

Postby SteveJJ

gninnur karona wrote:

The African nomination must be in doubt as the tournament has been postponed. Not sure if its been rescheduled

Postby lhpirnie

SteveJJ wrote:Does anyone know who is in a good position for the 2 Chinese nominations or is it too early to say/covid getting in the way?

Currently I think Chen Ruifu and Peng Yisong. Liu Hongyu and He Guoqiang have chances to catch them if the provisional tournament goes ahead.

Postby SteveJJ

lhpirnie wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:Does anyone know who is in a good position for the 2 Chinese nominations or is it too early to say/covid getting in the way?

Currently I think Chen Ruifu and Peng Yisong. Liu Hongyu and He Guoqiang have chances to catch them if the provisional tournament goes ahead.

Thank you. Would any of these do any damage on tour?

Postby lhpirnie

SteveJJ wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

Liu Hongyu is the strongest, and might make it as a pro. I'm not convinced by the others. I'd say Zhao Jianbo, Gao Yang and Bai Langning have much more potential than any of the likely qualifiers. The next really talented player from China is probably Jiang Jun, but he's still very young and would probably be better off waiting a couple of years.

Postby chengdufan

lhpirnie wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

Liu Hongyu is the strongest, and might make it as a pro. I'm not convinced by the others. I'd say Zhao Jianbo, Gao Yang and Bai Langning have much more potential than any of the likely qualifiers. The next really talented player from China is probably Jiang Jun, but he's still very young and would probably be better off waiting a couple of years.

I'm not the expert on Chinese amateurs that Lewis is so take my views with a pinch of salt.
I watched Liu Hongyu and Peng Yisong play a couple of matches last year. Liu looked very good, a natural talent who could be a contender. Peng wasn't very good, more of a grinder than a break-builder, but you never know how a young player's game will develop.
He Guoqiang seems to have been around for ages and hasn't done much results-wise, but he is only 21. He's been playing in events (and losing early) since 2013! He did get one good result, beating Gary Wilson 6-1 in 2018: https://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com ... 045/591676
Chen Ruifu has also been on the scene for a while. He played some PTCs as far back as 2012 so you'd think he's at least 25, though I haven't found his age listed anywhere. He regularly gets wins against top Chinese amateurs, but there's nothing in his results to suggest he could make it as a pro.

Postby HappyCamper

SteveJJ wrote:The African nomination must be in doubt as the tournament has been postponed. Not sure if its been rescheduled

due to take place in casablanca 20th to 30th june. so might to be too late for the winner to enter the championship league or euro masters qualifiers.

in other news rebecca kenna now officially in based on the women's rankings.

https://wpbsa.com/kenna-qualifies-for-w ... oker-tour/

Postby Wildey

Ashley Hugill and Michael White defo on tour by reaching the Crucible If Hugill or Jackson Page reaches the Top 64 there could be changes for someone else career Stuart Carrington and Tian Pengfei are the Danger Men

Hugill needs to beat Robertson to Evict Carrington, while Jackson needs the Quarter Final

Postby lhpirnie

Wildey wrote:Ashley Hugill and Michael White defo on tour by reaching the Crucible If Hugill or Jackson Page reaches the Top 64 there could be changes for someone else career Stuart Carrington and Tian Pengfei are the Danger Men

Hugill needs to beat Robertson to Evict Carrington, while Jackson needs the Quarter Final

Yes, if Jackson Page reaches Q-final, then Carrington goes down and one more place becomes vacant. If Hugill beats Robertson, then Carrington goes down and Gao Yang gets a 1-year list promotion. If both happen, then Tian Pengfei goes down along with Carrington. I assume that Carrington, Tian and Gao are given special dispensation to enter Q School if they find themself relegated. Unfortunately that means that Tian and Gao can't go home until Hugill loses to Robertson on Wednesday.

Postby Vallomas

Michael White also enters the top 64 if he reaches the quarter final and will push one player (Stuart Carrington) off the tour.

I remember that we had the same case back in 2019, when James Cahill got very close to beat Stephen Maguire (after beating O'Sullivan). The man who was waiting with agony on the 64th place was Mike Dunn,

Postby TartanMc

Vallomas wrote:Michael White also enters the top 64 if he reaches the quarter final and will push one player (Stuart Carrington) off the tour.

I remember that we had the same case back in 2019, when James Cahill got very close to beat Stephen Maguire (after beating O'Sullivan). The man who was waiting with agony on the 64th place was Mike Dunn,

This is not the case, because White is an amateur he does not receive an official ranking in the 2 year ratings. He has qualified as you say by reaching the Crucible. He would also have qualified as one of the top 4 players on the 1 year rankings. But he is not included in the 2 year rankings in any way.

Hugill and Page could knock Carrington out if they win the required games.