Post a reply

Re: Robertson talking out of his backside

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerFan wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I hope the WST don't listen to this moronic opinion.

This is not moronic at all, you simply have this bad mentality ingrained in your brain. You were born and saw snooker in a particular way and your subconscience believes it's the right way.
If when you were born, snooker had a similar foul rule to pool, and someone came today lobbying for a "foul and a miss" rule, you'd think they were nuts.

I was talking about Robertson's opinion being moronic, not yours.

Though granted, I can see how you'd assume otherwise.

Oh, thanks then. My bad :hatoff:

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:They have ball in hand, a shot shock and hitting a cushion in the Shoot Out.

And guess what?

It’s crap.

No it's not. They just need to adjust the duration of the frame and the shot clock.

Atm, every frame lasts a maximum of 10 minutes. As for the current shot clock rule, for the first 5 minutes of the match, players have 15 seconds per shot, but for the last 5 minutes this is reduced to 10 seconds.

They just need to make the following rule adjustments:
1. there should be no time limit on how long a frame lasts since you already have a shot clock in play.
2. the shot clock limit should be 20 seconds per shot. Anything under that is ridiculous.

Then they need to use nicer polo shirts (with different colors based on the player's ranking) and the game will be just perfect.

Speaking of polo shirts color:
- the world champions will get to wear a white one, resembling the color of the cueball, proving that he's the cue master.
- the WN1 will get to wear a black one, like the highest value color, the black ball.
- if the same player has won the WC and he is also the WN1, he gets to alternate colors.
- the other 14 players (or 15) ranked in the top 16 will wear pink, blue, brown, green and yellow, in accordance to their ranking.
- the numpties ranked outside the top 16 will wear a red shirt. :happy:

Postby Prop

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:They have ball in hand, a shot shock and hitting a cushion in the Shoot Out.

And guess what?

It’s crap.

No it's not. They just need to adjust the duration of the frame and the shot clock.

Atm, every frame lasts a maximum of 10 minutes. As for the current shot clock rule, for the first 5 minutes of the match, players have 15 seconds per shot, but for the last 5 minutes this is reduced to 10 seconds.

They just need to make the following rule adjustments:
1. there should be no time limit on how long a frame lasts since you already have a shot clock in play.
2. the shot clock limit should be 20 seconds per shot. Anything under that is ridiculous.

Then they need to use nicer polo shirts (with different colors based on the player's ranking) and the game will be just perfect.

Speaking of polo shirts color:
- the world champions will get to wear a white one, resembling the color of the cueball, proving that he's the cue master.
- the WN1 will get to wear a black one, like the highest value color, the black ball.
- if the same player has won the WC and he is also the WN1, he gets to alternate colors.
- the other 14 players (or 15) ranked in the top 16 will wear pink, blue, brown, green and yellow, in accordance to their ranking.
- the numpties ranked outside the top 16 will wear a red shirt. :happy:

Johnny, are you still in school?

Postby Johnny Bravo

Prop wrote:Johnny, are you still in school?

Unfortunately not, I'm in my mid to late 30's. :sad: :-(
But I still have the heart of a child/boy, always had, always will. Life is more beautiful this way. :-)

Postby The_Abbott

sounds like a sore loser to me. Poor Robbo with his crap displays at the WC. Most fans prefer the long format of the WC and not the fast crappy Shoot-Out.

If they had a shot clock at the WC then NIgel Bond or Ryan Day or Michael Georgiou would win it instead and Robbo would be saying the game needs to go back to its roots.

Postby Prop

The_Abbott wrote:sounds like a sore loser to me. Poor Robbo with his crap displays at the WC. Most fans prefer the long format of the WC and not the fast crappy Shoot-Out.

If they had a shot clock at the WC then NIgel Bond or Ryan Day or Michael Georgiou would win it instead and Robbo would be saying the game needs to go back to its roots.

:goodpost:

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Whatever about the shortening of matches I can sort of understand his views about the venue. He clearly doesn't like the two table stage of the Crucible and while you could say he should be able to adjust to that it must be annoying that the most important tournament which his career is heavily judged on takes place in a place he isn't suited to every single year.

Postby Prop

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Whatever about the shortening of matches I can sort of understand his views about the venue. He clearly doesn't like the two table stage of the Crucible and while you could say he should be able to adjust to that it must be annoying that the most important tournament which his career is heavily judged on takes place in a place he isn't suited to every single year.

I suppose you could argue that a key skill of being a professional is being able to adapt to playing conditions. What I’ve noticed is the ‘oldschool’ players such as the Class of 92 tend to be pretty good at handling things like a heavy cloth, for example, whereas in that same position we’ve seen the likes of Judd not being able to adapt, and put in bad performances.

Judd’s A game is heavily dependent on playing conditions being close to perfect, and Robertson has the same issue - his A game is scary good, but he can only really unlock it when everything is just how he likes it. Combine that need for lots of playing space with a general dislike of the format itself, and it makes perfect sense that he hasn’t gone on to win more than one WC.

Postby Dan-cat

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Whatever about the shortening of matches I can sort of understand his views about the venue. He clearly doesn't like the two table stage of the Crucible and while you could say he should be able to adjust to that it must be annoying that the most important tournament which his career is heavily judged on takes place in a place he isn't suited to every single year.

As a spectator, the two-table set-up makes it even better to watch though.

Please don't change the Crucible.

Postby TheSaviour

What about bringing back Power snooker? Well, it is not on now anymore, as the people (falsely) see him as a more or less an idiot-format. They all reckon that the traditional rules, and the most talented and intelligent players can dominate. Or SOME of those who "just" are working really hard..

Obviously that´s not any true.

Neil Robertson wouldn´t do any better, but even worse, if he would play Power snooker - tournaments. Feel free to ask why.

So sad that the people are like that. Obviously Power snooker is a cracking format.

Judd can do really well in America. Neil could also do quite well. It is a traditional format, hey.

Postby Prop

TheSaviour wrote:What about bringing back Power snooker? Well, it is not on now anymore, as the people (falsely) see him as a more or less an idiot-format. They all reckon that the traditional rules, and the most talented and intelligent players can dominate. Or SOME of those who "just" are working really hard..

Obviously that´s not any true.

Neil Robertson wouldn´t do any better, but even worse, if he would play Power snooker - tournaments. Feel free to ask why.

So sad that the people are like that. Obviously Power snooker is a cracking format.

Judd can do really well in America. Neil could also do quite well. It is a traditional format, hey.

Hey Saviour. Will you be watching Judd play in the US Open pool next week?

Postby SnookerFan

What little I watched of Power Snooker, I quite enjoyed. It always seemed to be on when I was busy.

I'd give it a second try if they did a weekend of it again. As long as they didn't do anything stupid like make it a ranking event.

It's possible if I sat down and watched a whole weekend of it, I'd get bored of it though.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:What little I watched of Power Snooker, I quite enjoyed. It always seemed to be on when I was busy.

I'd give it a second try if they did a weekend of it again. As long as they didn't do anything stupid like make it a ranking event.

It's possible if I sat down and watched a whole weekend of it, I'd get bored of it though.

You are more or less an idiot-format.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:What little I watched of Power Snooker, I quite enjoyed. It always seemed to be on when I was busy.

In that I'm more of an idiot, and less of a format?

Seems fair.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

In that I'm more of an idiot, and less of a format?

Seems fair.

It is merely an affable way of insulting you, skilfully constructed to make you feel better about yourself.

Dan is the artist here. <ok>

Postby Iranu

I can understand calls for the World Championship to move, at least from a commercial perspective, even if I disagree with it.

I wouldn’t care about that anywhere near as much as if they shortened the format.

Postby Juddernaut88

I agree with Judd, the world championship should move to better venues such as the Ricoh Arena (which is now called Coventry Building society arena)

Postby SnookerFan

Having been to The Crucible for eleven years in a row, I think my Crucible visiting days are behind me for a while. I enjoy wataching it on TV now. So, it would bother me less if they moved, than when I was attending. I understand the commercial reasons.

Having said that, it would be a shame. It's the best sporting venue, not just snooker venue, that I've ever been to. I understand the commercial reasons, but they will never find a venue that's half as good as The Crucible. And they'd be hard pressed to find somewhere that embraces the occasion as much as Sheffield either.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:Having been to The Crucible for eleven years in a row, I think my Crucible visiting days are behind me for a while. I enjoy wataching it on TV now. So, it would bother me less if they moved, than when I was attending. I understand the commercial reasons.

Having said that, it would be a shame. It's the best sporting venue, not just snooker venue, that I've ever been to. I understand the commercial reasons, but they will never find a venue that's half as good as The Crucible. And they'd be hard pressed to find somewhere that embraces the occasion as much as Sheffield either.

:goodpost:

Postby Prop

What if you apply the gig analogy? Gigs at smaller, more intimate venues are usually so much better than a typical ‘arena’ gig. And I know that’s down to acoustics primarily, and that’s not exactly a concern for snooker tournaments. But I dunno, I just get the feeling it could be one of those ‘you don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone’ scenarios, if the Worlds ended up in some huge 5000-seat venue.

Soul is important. The Crucible is full of it.

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:Having been to The Crucible for eleven years in a row, I think my Crucible visiting days are behind me for a while. I enjoy wataching it on TV now. So, it would bother me less if they moved, than when I was attending. I understand the commercial reasons.

When you say they will never find a venue better than the Crucible, I disagree. How do you know? Again, I draw the comparison with football stadiums. Within a couple of years the fans say the new stadium is wonderful, and recognise they had to move on to be sustainable. Snooker is in that position now.

Actually, as you know, I also prefer watching the big matches on TV. I travel to the venues mainly for the 8-table set-ups, which have unfortunately been abolished suddenly. But I don't think the Snooker World Championship should be a just cult thing, like an annual religious pilgrimage. That's not sustainable and holds snooker back massively.

So for once, I agree with Judd Trump. But his comments about pool and shorter formats are nonsense. Probably he was told to say that by his agent ahead of the US trip.

Postby Prop

It’d be one hell of a leap of faith. But maybe we just have to accept that one day it could happen.

Postby lhpirnie

Prop wrote:It’d be one hell of a leap of faith. But maybe we just have to accept that one day it could happen.

It was a leap of faith in 1977. One day it will certainly happen, as buildings don't last forever. The big danger is that it's left too late...