Post a reply

The British Open Format

Postby SnookerFan

What an absolute shitshow of a format.

Best of fives in the early rounds, best of sevens quarters and semis and best of eleven final.

Not far different in format to the 2010 Grand Prix that the BBC showed, and that was one of the lamest ranking events of all time. Probably the lamest, if you don't count the times that The Shoot-Out has been a ranking event.

I was considering attending that. Won't bother now.

Edited,as I misread the format originally.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 02 Jul 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Re: The British Open Format

Postby chengdufan

SnookerFan wrote:Best of fives in the early rounds

:shock:

SnookerFan wrote:best of sevens quarters and semis

<doh>

SnookerFan wrote:Semis and Final both played on the same day.

:no:

:sad:

Postby Prop

As long as they put the TC back to original format, this doesn’t bother me. UK would be nice, as well…

Postby Prop

“Blink and you miss it, it’s the Britisshhh Opennnn!”

Postby Andre147

Format doesn't look great.

A ranking event Final should always be over 2 sessions.

Postby Iranu

The more I think about this the more annoyed I get.

Why call it the British Open if they’re gonna do this? Just cheap clicks.

Postby lhpirnie

This tournament and Gibraltar are the only tournaments where all of the professionals play at the main venue.

In previous seasons, I very much enjoyed the Home Nations events precisely because you get to see all of the players from beginning to end. Even best-of-7's is a decent enough match. In the 2019-20 season, I went to English Open, Scottish Open, Welsh Open, European Masters (in Austria) and had an open ticket for the World Championship qualifiers, which got postponed.

I usually go to the UK Championship but was tied up with work, which may be the case again this year. Also the World Championship in 2022 is at an awkward time.

I may never go to another event. They've massacred the tournaments.

Postby csprince

SnookerFan wrote:What an absolute shitshow of a format.

Best of fives in the early rounds, best of sevens quarters and semis and best of eleven final. Semis and Final both played on the same day.

Not far different in format to the 2010 Grand Prix that the BBC showed, and that was one of the lamest ranking events of all time. Probably the lamest, if you don't count the times that The Shoot-Out has been a ranking event.

the quarters and semis are on the saturday with the final on sunday.

Postby SnookerFan

csprince wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:What an absolute shitshow of a format.

Best of fives in the early rounds, best of sevens quarters and semis and best of eleven final. Semis and Final both played on the same day.

the quarters and semis are on the saturday with the final on sunday.

Oh rubbish, you're right. I misread it.

So there's no play Sunday until the evening? Why not just have a best of 19 final then?

Postby csprince

so we've gone from best of sevens to best of fives for a classic tournament like the british open.
get ready for the best of two frames mercantile credit classic most points wins if 1-1.

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:Why the hell is there no play on the Sunday afternoon?

It's broadcast on ITV. They have to conform to the schedule. I guess ITV are showing serious sport on Sunday afternoon, like horse racing or something.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

There was a bit of novelty to the World Open in 2010 but we've had years of flat draw events with the same players.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:The Island is...

SCANDALIZED

Don’t act like it’s not a load of rubbish

Postby chengdufan

I think the key point is that with this format it is not The British Open. They're just so lazy with the names.
It's not an 'Open' first of all, as only selected players can enter. It is a different format and in a different location to all previous British Opens. And to all intents and purposes it is a minor ranking event, not a main one.

Why not give the event a more fitting name? The Willie Thorne Memorial Challenge Cup perhaps.

Postby SnookerFan

lhpirnie wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Why the hell is there no play on the Sunday afternoon?

It's broadcast on ITV. They have to conform to the schedule. I guess ITV are showing serious sport on Sunday afternoon, like horse racing or something.

Yes, I kind of figured that myself. (Though nothing is more serious than snooker, let's be honest.)

My question was, not rhetorical exactly, but there to show how rubbishy the format is.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:The Island is...

SCANDALIZED

Sorry. My bad.

Gee Whizz, this tournament looks brilliant. God golly, I love this format....

Postby SnookerFan

badtemperedcyril wrote:That news is absolute Jodrell !!!

There was me thinking we were in for the return of a once great and prestigious tournament. :bs:

:anyone:

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:That news is absolute Jodrell !!!

There was me thinking we were in for the return of a once great and prestigious tournament. :bs:

:anyone:

Jodrell Bank…. W*nk.

Postby Ronnie79

people on hear never fu*king stop crying and moaning about the length of matches and tournaments. Jesus there are more important things in life ffs. I am sick of every final being best of 17 or best of 19 that is fu*king boring imo. I don't mind a best of 11 frame for a change. Who cares enjoy it

Postby Juddernaut88

Ronnie79 wrote:people on hear never fu*king stop crying and moaning about the length of matches and tournaments. Jesus there are more important things in life ffs. I am sick of every final being best of 17 or best of 19 that is fu*king boring imo. I don't mind a best of 11 frame for a change. Who cares enjoy it

Yet you decide to moan as well and the way you have typed that out you seem angry!

Postby lhpirnie

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:people on hear never fu*king stop crying and moaning about the length of matches and tournaments. Jesus there are more important things in life ffs. I am sick of every final being best of 17 or best of 19 that is fu*king boring imo. I don't mind a best of 11 frame for a change. Who cares enjoy it

Yet you decide to moan as well and the way you have typed that out you seem angry!

Yes, the purpose of this thread is to express opinions about the British Open format. It's entirely appropriate to have a large number of comments criticising the format, to indicate where the majority opinion lies.

I don't really mind about the best-of-11 final. What's terrible is the first three rounds with best-of-5 matches. For me, that's simply too short for professional snooker.

Postby Juddernaut88

lhpirnie wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:

Yes, the purpose of this thread is to express opinions about the British Open format. It's entirely appropriate to have a large number of comments criticising the format, to indicate where the majority opinion lies.

I don't really mind about the best-of-11 final. What's terrible is the first three rounds with best-of-5 matches. For me, that's simply too short for professional snooker.

:goodpost:

Postby Prop

I might have mentioned this before elsewhere, but I always remember the season not really getting going until well into autumn (pre-Hearn era etc).

Is there a chance a lot of us have simply got used to there being so many tournaments now, so really we’re picking holes in summer tournaments that wouldn’t even have been scheduled a few years ago?

There will always be great tournaments and naff tournaments within a season. As far as the great ones go, I’m more interested in whether the Tour Championship will revert to its debut year full format, and if we’ll ever see the day the UK goes back to a longer format.

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:I might have mentioned this before elsewhere, but I always remember the season not really getting going until well into autumn (pre-Hearn era etc).

Is there a chance a lot of us have simply got used to there being so many tournaments now, so really we’re picking holes in summer tournaments that wouldn’t even have been scheduled a few years ago?

There will always be great tournaments and naff tournaments within a season. As far as the great ones go, I’m more interested in whether the Tour Championship will revert to its debut year full format, and if we’ll ever see the day the UK goes back to a longer format.

That, I very much doubt.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:
Prop wrote:I might have mentioned this before elsewhere, but I always remember the season not really getting going until well into autumn (pre-Hearn era etc).

That, I very much doubt.

I know. We can always hope.

Postby Iranu

If it wasn’t called the British Open I wouldn’t care that much.