Post a reply

Re: 21/22 calender

Postby SnookerFan

I notice that the English and the Northern Ireland Open have swapped places. And that there is apparently a China Open happening.

Postby csprince

my apologies didn't realise motorhead had already posted will check active topics in future.

Postby Juddernaut88

Wish the other China events would go ahead this year.

Postby mick745

I always attend the welsh open, this seems to be later running from 28 feb-6 mar, it is usually mid-Feb.

Also the venue is tbc, i checked the motorpoint arena website and they have a pop concert arranged for 1 mar 22.

Hoping it is back to Cardiff rather than Newport.

Postby SnookerFan

I used to quite enjoy visiting The Newport Centre, and crawling round the pubs by it.

It'll be in that swanky golf course now though, won't it?

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:I used to quite enjoy visiting The Newport Centre, and crawling round the pubs by it.

It'll be in that swanky golf course now though, won't it?

Chepstow? I’d have thought it would, yes

Postby Juddernaut88

Need some ranking tournaments in August else Judd will lose his number 1 spot straight away :sad:

Postby Alex0paul

Yea the date change for Welsh is annoying as it’s normally half term. Was hoping to take my boy for his first experience

Postby The_Abbott

Sure a lot of tbc's in there. Lets hope we actually get ranking events and not more Championshit leagues slotted in to fill space.

Postby mick745

Alex0paul wrote:Yea the date change for Welsh is annoying as it’s normally half term. Was hoping to take my boy for his first experience

Yes i've managed to be able to take my boy a couple of times during half term.

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:Need some ranking tournaments in August else Judd will lose his number 1 spot straight away :sad:

Did I dream it, or did they make The Championshit League a ranking event now?

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Need some ranking tournaments in August else Judd will lose his number 1 spot straight away :sad:

They had 2 last season, the first one in September- October 2020 was a ranking event but the other one this year which was played between January-April 2021 wasn't.

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

They had 2 last season, the first one in September- October 2020 was a ranking event but the other one this year which was played between January-April 2021 wasn't.

Oh I see.

How sensible. :roll:

Postby lhpirnie

For me this schedule is a massive disappointment. Yes, I know it's only provisional, and some events may come and some may go, but they have tinkered with a few things that didn't need changing.

The big shock is that they've broken the Home Nations tournaments. The qualifiers in August looks like there will be qualifying matches for the Home Nations - maybe all four of them. So a player could be knocked out in all of them in August and not appear at any of the venues. Of course, this doesn't apply to the top-16, whose matches get held over. The intention is to trim out as many irrelevant numpties as possible, by excluding them behind closed doors in Barnsley.

In 2019-20 I went to the English Open, Scottish Open and Welsh Open. The whole idea of the format was to have all 128 players under one roof, and gradually come down to one winner after 7 days. You got to see the progress of each player through the draw. For me, that is what a tournament is. By breaking it into qualifiers + main draw, the tournament loses cohesion. For example, in the Scottish Open, you'll have a player win his first round match in August and then play his second round match in December.

But of course I'm a highly unusual fan. Everyone else is only interested in a handfull of top players, and the others players are a distraction, even a nuisance. Nobody cares whether young players get the chance to play alongside experienced pros, maybe gain a bit of momentum, respect and traction on the main tour.

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if snooker really deserves a future, or is it just about cashing in on the current elite, whilst they are still here.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The Welsh Open is moved for the Winter Olympics. It was the same in 2018, 2014 etc

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

lhpirnie wrote:For me this schedule is a massive disappointment. Yes, I know it's only provisional, and some events may come and some may go, but they have tinkered with a few things that didn't need changing.

The big shock is that they've broken the Home Nations tournaments. The qualifiers in August looks like there will be qualifying matches for the Home Nations - maybe all four of them. So a player could be knocked out in all of them in August and not appear at any of the venues. Of course, this doesn't apply to the top-16, whose matches get held over. The intention is to trim out as many irrelevant numpties as possible, by excluding them behind closed doors in Barnsley.

In 2019-20 I went to the English Open, Scottish Open and Welsh Open. The whole idea of the format was to have all 128 players under one roof, and gradually come down to one winner after 7 days. You got to see the progress of each player through the draw. For me, that is what a tournament is. By breaking it into qualifiers + main draw, the tournament loses cohesion. For example, in the Scottish Open, you'll have a player win his first round match in August and then play his second round match in December.

But of course I'm a highly unusual fan. Everyone else is only interested in a handfull of top players, and the others players are a distraction, even a nuisance. Nobody cares whether young players get the chance to play alongside experienced pros, maybe gain a bit of momentum, respect and traction on the main tour.

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if snooker really deserves a future, or is it just about cashing in on the current elite, whilst they are still here.

Are the bring back tiered qualifiers? If they are it's an awful idea.

Postby lhpirnie

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:...

Are the bring back tiered qualifiers? If they are it's an awful idea.

No, the plan seems to be to have a flat-128 draw, as before. But the top-16 players' first rounds are held over to the main venue, whereas the other 48 first round matches are played in a 'qualifier' week in August.

Anyone who finds themself out of form in August can have his season wrecked before the top players have even hit a ball.

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:https://wst.tv/2021-22-provisional-calendar/

Yes the only possible reason for wrecking the Home Nations tournaments would seem to be that they can play them using 4 tables. That would mean last-16 and Q-finals played on one day, the Friday. Possibly they felt that the Q-final day was a bit dull in the existing format.

But it gives an indication of where snooker is going. Cashing in on the top guys whilst they are still there. No interest in future development of players.

Postby SteveJJ

lhpirnie wrote:

Yes the only possible reason for wrecking the Home Nations tournaments would seem to be that they can play them using 4 tables. That would mean last-16 and Q-finals played on one day, the Friday. Possibly they felt that the Q-final day was a bit dull in the existing format.

But it gives an indication of where snooker is going. Cashing in on the top guys whilst they are still there. No interest in future development of players.

Has it been confirmed that this is happening or are you assuming?

Couldn't the listed qualifiers be for some of the potential ranking tournaments? You'd assume part of the Nov qualifying will be the German Masters.

Postby SteveJJ

SteveJJ wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

Has it been confirmed that this is happening or are you assuming?

Couldn't the listed qualifiers be for some of the potential ranking tournaments? You'd assume part of the Nov qualifying will be the German Masters.

Ignore me. Ive seen it.

Postby Dan-cat

lhpirnie wrote:

That's a very cynical view.

Postby lhpirnie

Dan-cat wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

It is and I'm quite distressed about it. The announcements from WST are always about 'developing new markets', never about 'developing a new generation of players'.

With this structure, if a player qualifies as a 'rookie' pro, but doesn't do well in his 4 trips to Barnsley in August, he's only got maybe 4 events for the next 8 months. Of course, the top players are playing most weeks.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

lhpirnie wrote:

I know it wouldn't be easy but they really should have moved a slight bit away from the qualifiers/ranking event format.

Postby The_Abbott

lhpirnie wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

It is and I'm quite distressed about it. The announcements from WST are always about 'developing new markets', never about 'developing a new generation of players'.

With this structure, if a player qualifies as a 'rookie' pro, but doesn't do well in his 4 trips to Barnsley in August, he's only got maybe 4 events for the next 8 months. Of course, the top players are playing most weeks.

They did try with the secondary tour as they played more than usual and teh top 2 qualified for the tour. No sign of this happening again next season though.

Postby mick745

The_Abbott wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

They did try with the secondary tour as they played more than usual and teh top 2 qualified for the tour. No sign of this happening again next season though.

It never seemed enough quslification places to make all the effort worthwhile.

Postby chengdufan

The_Abbott wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

"Further opportunities may become available for the top 32 players on the order of merit who do not qualify for the tour, on the WPBSA Q Tour. This remains subject to the easing of travel and Covid restrictions"