Post a reply

Re: Hendon comments again on the short matches at the UK Cha

Postby SnookerFan

cupotee wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:are you saying, Cupotee, that Hendon is not your Cupotee?

Pretty much so yes, I don't think journalists should be commentating on snooker, I guess its a personal thing though, I don't like most soccer commentators as well. :-)

My opinion is that the best commentary pairings are generally one journalist and one former player.

If you have two former players explaining the shots, you have two people doing the same job.

A lot of former players don't watch snooker unless they're paid to, so why should I listen to them talk about what's been happening in other tournaments? It's not something that they know about. What they do know about is how to play.

A snooker journalists job in commentary is to know stat, figures and history, Be able to talk with expertise about the career of the players that they are watching. Then when we need the analysis of a particular shot, or advice on what a person should play in a given situation, we go over to the player. Two different roles.

There are exceptions, like Foulds and McManus who are former players who still know who all the current players are. But we're talking general rules.

Postby Wildey

cupotee wrote:

Pretty much so yes, I don't think journalists should be commentating on snooker, I guess its a personal thing though, I don't like most soccer commentators as well. :-)

Thats the best way a Journo and a ex player they have totally different roles lets be frank here Hendon watches and knows more than Stephen Hendry on the Snooker Tour that is fact Stephen Knows more about Snooker Shots than Hendon that is also fact.

The most ridiculous pairing in the Com Box is Players that are still competing at a high level with players they are commenting about Shaun Murphy/Joe Perry was Ridiculous.

Back in the day you would never have Dennis Taylor and Willie Thorne commenting together they were paired with Clive, Ted Lowe or Jack Karnham

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
cupotee wrote:

Thats the best way a Journo and a ex player they have totally different roles lets be frank here Hendon watches and knows more than Stephen Hendry on the Snooker Tour that is fact Stephen Knows more about Snooker Shots than Hendon that is also fact.

The most ridiculous pairing in the Com Box is Players that are still competing at a high level with players they are commenting about Shaun Murphy/Joe Perry was Ridiculous.

Back in the day you would never have Dennis Taylor and Willie Thorne commenting together they were paired with Clive, Ted Lowe or Jack Karnham

Pretty much.