Post a reply

Final ending on Monday

Postby 151kbar151

This year I have no problem with this, because I have day off on Monday and Tuesday but why WCH can't simply start on Friday instead of Saturday and finish on Sunday instead of Monday?

Re: Final ending on Monday

Postby Skullman

151kbar151 wrote:This year I have no problem with this, because I have day off on Monday and Tuesday but why WCH can't simply start on Friday instead of Saturday and finish on Sunday instead of Monday?

Monday is Bank Holiday Monday, a national holiday in the UK. I'm guessing they don't start it on Fridays any more as they have the defending champion play their entire match on the first day and they'd prefer people be in to see in and not at work.

Postby vodkadiet

Skullman wrote:
151kbar151 wrote:This year I have no problem with this, because I have day off on Monday and Tuesday but why WCH can't simply start on Friday instead of Saturday and finish on Sunday instead of Monday?

Monday is Bank Holiday Monday, a national holiday in the UK. I'm guessing they don't start it on Fridays any more as they have the defending champion play their entire match on the first day and they'd prefer people be in to see in and not at work.

They used to vary it. It always finishes on Bank Holiday Monday now, but I can remember it finishing on Easter Monday, or starting on Good Friday, or just finishing on a Sunday.

For example in 1981 the tournament finished on April 20, and the following year it finished on May 16.

I think the second round and semis are too long and at least 3 days could be shaved off the event. 14 days is enough.

I would also like to see it played in March and not April.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The first World Championship I saw (1995) began on Good Friday and finished on a Sunday. That was the last time it didn't finish on the monday.

Postby PLtheRef

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:The first World Championship I saw (1995) began on Good Friday and finished on a Sunday. That was the last time it didn't finish on the monday.

The reason for that I learned was because 1995 marked the 50th anniversary of VE day - the Bank Holiday was moved from the first Monday to the second Monday as that marked the anniversary of the end of the war.

1995 saw the championship start on Good Friday which was the Bank Holiday.

I'd prefer the Championship to start on a Friday and finish on the Sunday - allowing for a day recover should it go close - but I appreciate the preference would be to have a maximum audience obviously.

In 1982 the first 17 day event the Almanac shows that the tournament began on a Friday evening - but the first rest morning was the morning for the re-rigging of the stage for the one table

Postby snookerlover

Ever since I started watching they've used Bank Holidays. Thankfully I've always had them off. At the end of the day, if you're working on the Monday, you're a lot more likely to be working the Sunday anyway. So I don't think it'd make that much difference.

From an international perspective they should probably start on a Friday and finish on the Sunday.