Session 3 Monday 2nd of May @ 2pm
Session 4 Monday 2nd of May @ 7pm

Ding Junhui vs Mark Selby

Click for Head to Heads

Overall Mark Selby leads 11-10
Main Tournaments 6-6
World ChampionshipDing Junhui leads 1-0
Multi Session Matches Ding Junhui leads 2-0

And so we have the most important match of the snooker season. We have Ding Junhui, who after a tough season where he dropped out of the top 16, refound his form and stormed through qualifiers. He battled past Martin Gould, scrapped past Judd Trump and then blasted Mark Williams off the table and beat Alan McManus with a record number of centuries.
He has the pressure an entire nation, maybe even a continent behind him, but also the confidence of form. He'll be hoping on Monday evening, no one will ever call him the best player never to win the World Championship again.

His opponent World Number One Mark Selby, who had a far easier route to the final, keeping ahead of qualifiers Robert Milkins, Sam Baird and Kyren Wilson. He had a mostly scrappy and topsy-turvy match with Marco Fu, which he eventually won with a push in the last session. He's hoping to be the first multiple World Champion since John Higgins in 2007.

The age old battle between form and experience. Ding clearly has the form while Selby has been playing worse but has done it here before. Will it go as expected or will be some surprises in the final?

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Image Image

Re: Betfred World Championship Final: Ding Junhui v Mark Sel

Postby Skullman

Would people say Ding is favourite? Because of he is, I find it funny that the winner of the qualifier semi is favourite against the winner of the seed semi and WN1 to boot. Deserved, but amusing all the same.

Postby Andre147

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Want Ding to win but I'd be surprised if he does. Unless Leicester beat Man Utd tomorrow and that distracts Selby.

Selby isn't the sort of player to get distracted by football nonsense. pmsl

if anything, it will inspire him even more.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:Would people say Ding is favourite? Because of he is, I find it funny that the winner of the qualifier semi is favourite against the winner of the seed semi and WN1 to boot. Deserved, but amusing all the same.

He isn't in my book. So nothing funny there <laugh> It's 50-50, maybe even slight advantage Selby.

Postby GJ

With Robbo knocked out early and my other fav Kyren losing in quarters not a great worlds for me.

Im not a fan of either but on this occasion im supporting Ding for 2 reasons

1. It would be good for snooker worldwide a ding win

2. Im unhappy at robbos main rival having 1 more world title than robbo
Last edited by GJ on 30 Apr 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Skullman

GJ wrote:With Robbo knocked out early and my other fav Kyren losing in quarters not a great worlds for me.

Im not a fan of either but on this occasion im supporting D

Selby beat Kyren, then Fu, so maybe you've given Ding the kiss of death?

Postby 151kbar151

I'm looking forward to this as I like both players so I will enjoy final without nerves but I will be little bit happier if Ding will complete his Triple Crown because Selby has done that already, even I'm normally bigger fan of Selby than Ding.
Last edited by 151kbar151 on 30 Apr 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Hopefully Ding will score heavily and quickly. Otherwise Selby will drag him down to his level and that'd be very costly for Ding.

Above all, Ding can't fall into the same trap Ronnie did in the 2014 Final.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Hopefully Ding will score heavily and quickly. Otherwise Selby will drag him down to his level and that'd be very costly for Ding.

Ding Junhui has to do something Ronnie couldn't do: beat him in a World Final. OK Selby played better in 2014 but still very difficult.

Not too hard for John Higgins.

Postby GJ

‏@nr147
Neil Robertson

I love Ding and it would be amazing for our sport if he won especially as another overseas player

Postby Cloud Strife

I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect Ding may succumb to the pressure. He looked abit dodgy towards the end of his match against McManus. This will be magnified in the final due to the ocassion and also because he's playing a better opponent.

Selby certainly has experience on his side.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Ding Junhui has to do something Ronnie couldn't do: beat him in a World Final. OK Selby played better in 2014 but still very difficult.

Didn't you watch the match? Selby was very inexperienced so he fell behind big time but he came back so strong and Higgins just didn't know what to do. John was completely outplayed in that third session. Higgins just found something from somewhere to get over the line by switching into "no miss" mode.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Cloud Strife wrote:I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect Ding may succumb to the pressure. He looked abit dodgy towards the end of his match against McManus. This will be magnified in the final due to the ocassion and also because he's playing a better opponent.

Selby certainly has experience on his side.

Yes. The more I think about it the more I fancy Selby getting the job done.

Postby GJ

TheRocket wrote:@nr147

Neil Robertson: "Mark will grind Ding into the absolute dirt throughout this match. Early lead important for Ding. Selby 18-14"

Theres a difference between supporting someone and also saying what they fear will happen

Maybe try and grasp that ;-)

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Didn't you watch the match? Selby was very inexperienced so he fell behind big time but he came back so strong and Higgins just didn't know what to do. John was completely outplayed in that third session. Higgins just found something from somewhere to get over the line by switching into "no miss" mode.

He still beat him, no? Also, don't forget I only started watching in 2011 and so didn't see that match.