Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship Final: Ding Junhui v Mark Sel

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Hopefully Ding will score heavily and quickly. Otherwise Selby will drag him down to his level and that'd be very costly for Ding.

Ding Junhui has to do something Ronnie couldn't do: beat him in a World Final. OK Selby played better in 2014 but still very difficult.

Not too hard for John Higgins.

Didn't you watch the match? Selby was very inexperienced so he fell behind big time but he came back so strong and Higgins just didn't know what to do. John was completely outplayed in that third session. Higgins just found something from somewhere to get over the line by switching into "no miss" mode.

He still beat him, no? Also, don't forget I only started watching in 2011 and so didn't see that match.

I thought you might have watched the match on YouTube or something. Yes, Higgins got the job done but he was tough as nails and well equipped for an opponent like Selby - much better better than Ding I would say - and still Selby gave him a big headache. Make no mistake, Mark Selby nearly won the title that year.

Postby GJ

The last time a former champion who was playing in his 3rd world final was up against a first time finalist the first timer won

Patterns :D :D :D :D

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Cloud Strife wrote:I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect Ding may succumb to the pressure. He looked abit dodgy towards the end of his match against McManus. This will be magnified in the final due to the ocassion and also because he's playing a better opponent.

Selby certainly has experience on his side.

Yeah his whole career has been building to this. And Selby is possibly the worst player possible for him to be against. If it had been Fu I'd make Ding favourite.

Postby GJ

GJ wrote:The last time a former champion who was playing in his 3rd world final was up against a first time finalist the first timer won

Actually its happened the last 2 times

:spot on:

Postby Cloud Strife

GJ wrote:
GJ wrote:The last time a former champion who was playing in his 3rd world final was up against a first time finalist the first timer won

Actually its happened the last 2 times

:spot on:

Your medal's in the post. <ok>

Postby PLtheRef

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Hopefully Ding will score heavily and quickly. Otherwise Selby will drag him down to his level and that'd be very costly for Ding.

Ding Junhui has to do something Ronnie couldn't do: beat him in a World Final. OK Selby played better in 2014 but still very difficult.

Not too hard for John Higgins.

Dare it be said that Ding is in the same position Selby was in back in 2007 - a first time finalist up against a man appearing in his third final - and going after his second title. - Of course Ding has more experience than Selby had at that moment in time. - Nerves got to Selby back then - and the second session was a nightmare for him in losing ten out of eleven frames. Yes he got extremely close but 12-4 seemed to be far too much to do.

Ding's bound to be nervous - anyone is if playing the Crucible final.

A good start for both imperative with the target obviously going to be 9-8 to begin with before seeing if that lead can be extended to 10-7, no one has lost a 35 frame Crucible final if holding a lead of five or more frames at the end of the Sunday night so 11-6 would be a significant result for both.

Going to be a really enjoyable game.

Postby Alex0paul

Selby to me looks shattered. I think we may get a repeat of the 2006 final with the player coming through the Fu semi hitting the wall but finding something late on.

I'd fancy Ding to be leading overnight

Postby Alex0paul

I would also say Ding is a bit of a different animal than other first time finalists. He has already won 11 ranking events from 14 finals and the Masters. He knows how to get the job done.

Postby vodkadiet

This is Selby's third final. He has won it once.

Players who have been in 3 finals and won it just once in recent times:

Murphy
Dott
Ebdon
Doherty

Players who have been in 3 finals and won it twice in recent times:

Mark J Williams

Players who have been in 6 finals and never won it:

James Warren White

Postby vodkadiet

Selby should win. He finally awoke in the last session against Fu.

I suspect Selby will play better from the start against Ding. If Ding doesn't play at least as well as he did against McManus I cannot see him winning.

Selby is through despite not playing anywhere near his best. So what if he hasn't? He knows how to play the long game in a tournament.

Substance over style...

Postby PoolBoy

boris_the_butcher wrote:should be a good final, hope for a happy ending rather than a sad one. I don't want Selby to be known as a multiple world champion, it's not right.

I he is to become a multiple World Champion - then he deserves it - it's not an accomplishment that can be fluked!

Postby SnookerFan

I wonder how the BBC will build this up.

They love building up an underdog. Last year they made Bingham, world number 10 and 2 time ranking winner, to be a complete amateur.

This year, Ding is WN 17. But even the BBC can't make out that he's got no chance of winning, can they? Even if Selby is the favourite.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

SnookerFan wrote:I wonder how the BBC will build this up.

They love building up an underdog. Last year they made Bingham, world number 10 and 2 time ranking winner, to be a complete amateur.

This year, Ding is WN 17. But even the BBC can't make out that he's got no chance of winning, can they? Even if Selby is the favourite.

The theme will be China v Leicester City.

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I wonder how the BBC will build this up.

The theme will be China v Leicester City.

Willie will be his usual unbiased self.

Postby barrydoherty54

I'm more off a Selby fan than a Ding fan but i reckon Ding will beat him aslong as it doesn't go close. Final frame. 16-16 etc..

It's not uncommon for Mark to play so bad and continue to win but he's playing so bad it's hard to give him much off a chance unless Ding becomes like Fu and cannot win a frame unless he has 4 or 5 scoring visits.

Ding to win 18-12.

Postby Cheshire Cat

I would like Ding to win, no secrets about that.

I just hope both players play their own game and play well. Marco really disappointed me in his semi final and he said it himself in his presser, that he ended up playing Mark's game instead of his own. You just can't do that, it's like a cardinal sin in snooker. You're always going to come out second best once you start dancing to the other guy's style.

Postby hendry_fan

Wakey,wakey,or hands still on snakey!. :-D

So it,s Selbs v Ding.

Marks has done extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemly well to get this far,but i think he,ll end up being runner-up.

Many waited n waited for him to go up a gear,2 and stay there,but apart from the odd glimpses of gold,he has,nt,towards the end of his semi-final battle,he managed to though.

It won,t surprise me if he plays well in this final though and maintains consistency,we,ll just have wait n see what he serves up.

I,m 80% sure that Ding will be crowned The World Champ 2016.

On a note regarding the century record,i am worried that Ding will beat it,he,s currently on 12 and the one n only Stephen Hendry holds it at present,= 16.

If Ding does beat it,i,ll for sure be very disappointed,but,at least Ding,ll have pinched it and not Ronnie. ;-) :-D

As far as concerned who i,d like to win this,i,m a tad more for Selbs,but if Ding does,i certainly won,t be disappointed,as he,s also a good lad and it certainly won,t be bad for snooker.