Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship Final: Ding Junhui v Mark Sel

Postby Cheshire Cat

Alex0paul wrote:I hope the 40+ players start to drop away now and we get a new generation coming through.

The cupboard looks bare though

:goodpost:

Sometimes I wonder if we'll ever see another 'trailblazer' in the like of Davis, Hendry or O'Sullivan that from the moment they take to the stage you just get the feeling they might go on to be a dominant force in the game. I was never around (or at least too young) during that era, so i'd love to see a young player come through, take the game by storm and then in years gone by say 'I watched that kid set the snooker world alight.'

There's a lot of Kyren Wilson hump going around, but fact of the matter is he only has one ranker to his name and that's all there is to him. The youngsters aren't exactly very impressive right now, and that's just hard fact.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:Sam Baird had the best chance of beating Selby. He got back from 7-11 to 11-11 and had chances in the next, and even a chance to level at 12-12. As much as you can say Selby was granite, the truth is he was reliant on mistakes from his opponents in every match.

If Selby had played the 1998 version of John Higgins he would have been annihilated.

I like the fact that Selby has won the tournament playing what many call boring snooker, or 'anti snooker', as mental strength is more important than having what many call 'talent'.

Many can play the game to a high standard, and far higher than the standard Selby produced for much of this event, but the vast majority cannot cope with all the pressures of what goes winning at The Crucible.

Good post mate.

Yeah I agree, Baird had the best chance of beating him and couldn't do it. He should have done what McGill did last year.

No matter, it's history now.

Postby Skullman

151kbar151 wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:I hope the 40+ players start to drop away now and we get a new generation coming through.

You must be barbarian to want to drop away ROS, Higgins, MJW, even your favourite Dott soon, Perry.

Except for ROS and probably Perry, the rest are a fraction of what they used to be and they're still a fair bit better than most of the young players.

Postby Andre147

Alex0paul wrote:Really would like to see Brecel, Yuelong, Lines push on now too. Also McGill, White, Wilson to regularly make the later stages of tournaments.

Peter Lines? :roll:

Only joking, I agree, especially Luca and Ants, the ones from that list I like most.

Lisoswki is a total waste of talent. pmsl

Postby Alex0paul

151kbar151 wrote:

You must be barbarian to want to drop away ROS, Higgins, MJW, even your favourite Dott soon, Perry.

I find it nearly unbearable to watch Dott these days sadly

Postby Alex0paul

Andre147 wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Really would like to see Brecel, Yuelong, Lines push on now too. Also McGill, White, Wilson to regularly make the later stages of tournaments.

Peter Lines? :roll:

Only joking, I agree, especially Luca and Ants, the ones from that list I like most.

Lisoswki is a total waste of talent. pmsl

Never rated Lisowski. Too interested in telling everyone how great he is and how much time he's spending in the gym.

Would've been nice to see Zhou Yuelong get through against Zhang

Postby Cheshire Cat

Zhou Yuelong is easily one of the most promising talents around right now.

After this final, I just hope Ding comes back to and stays at the top of the game, competing at the business end and winning tournaments. I can't help but feel that having a run like this, playing against top class players over these long sessions, will have done wonders for his game and confidence.

Postby SavoMilosevic

I think both finalist had luck on their side during those 17 days. Ding could have easily lost to Gould in R1, he had a huge fluke at 8-8 and got through. MJW's tip was damaged and he didn't put him under any pressure at all. In the semis he faced a 45-year old Alan McManus, who was playing well, but is no Ronnie, Higgins or even Hawkins. And whenever Alan got closed to him, something weird happened - big bounces, kicks, etc. Yes, Ding played very well and made a lot of centuries, but it could have been a lot tougher for him.

As for Selby - he faced qualifiers in his first three rounds, only Wilson was dangerous, but he didn't have enough experience to make that 1/4 final difficult for Mark. In the semis, instead of Ronnie or Hawkins, he faced Fu, who is a great break-builder, but is not great under pressure and hasn't played a lot of big matches at the Crucible. And his tip fell off in the early stages of the match.

Those things happen in sports and you have to take advantage. Both of them did and Selby deserved his title.

Postby Skullman

Oh yeah, almost forgot Selby put on a new tip before the final. And he still won it.

Unlike someone who had a right old moan about how he knew he would get thrashed whoever he played when he had to put a new one on and how Ding wasn't really playing that well. *cough* Williams.

Postby Alex0paul

Skullman wrote:Oh yeah, almost forgot Selby put on a new tip before the final. And he still won it.

Unlike someone who had a right old moan about how he knew he would get thrashed whoever he played when he had to put a new one on and how Ding wasn't really playing that well. *cough* Williams.

Thank god it wasn't O'Sullivan else we'd never have heard the end of it

Postby TheRocket

Alex0paul wrote:
Skullman wrote:Oh yeah, almost forgot Selby put on a new tip before the final. And he still won it.

Forget the tip. O'Sullivan won the Masters 2009 with a new cue.

Postby Cheshire Cat

Alex0paul wrote:

Mark Williams v ROS 2012 World Championship, 2nd round, 2nd session: aka, an entire session of Dennis Taylor talking about Ronnie's new tip whilst he tore MJW a new one.

Postby onlyevertonjon

To Mark Selby and his supporters congratulations.

For me, bar a few matches a dreadful tournament that won't live long in the memory.

Please no more talk of Robertson's 2010 or Ronnie' 08 draw cos Selby has been gifted one here. He was good enough to take it.

See you all next year for my annual post.

Vodkadiet I hope you are well.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:

That was one of the finest achievments the sport has seen.

99% of the other players wouldn't even be able to beat an amateur with a new cue. It's so so diferent, diferent touch, feel, etc etc.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:

That was one of the finest achievments the sport has seen.

99% of the other players wouldn't even be able to beat an amateur with a new cue. It's so so diferent, diferent touch, feel, etc etc.

And Ronnie beat the defending Masters champion and current World Champion Mark Selby

Postby vodkadiet

onlyevertonjon wrote:To Mark Selby and his supporters congratulations.

For me, bar a few matches a dreadful tournament that won't live long in the memory.

Please no more talk of Robertson's 2010 or Ronnie' 08 draw cos Selby has been gifted one here. He was good enough to take it.

See you all next year for my annual post.

Vodkadiet I hope you are well.

Thanks pal.

I remember you from the BBC forum days.

I hope you're well also and still enjoying the great game!

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Sam Baird had the best chance of beating Selby. He got back from 7-11 to 11-11 and had chances in the next, and even a chance to level at 12-12. As much as you can say Selby was granite, the truth is he was reliant on mistakes from his opponents in every match.

If Selby had played the 1998 version of John Higgins he would have been annihilated.

I like the fact that Selby has won the tournament playing what many call boring snooker, or 'anti snooker', as mental strength is more important than having what many call 'talent'.

Many can play the game to a high standard, and far higher than the standard Selby produced for much of this event, but the vast majority cannot cope with all the pressures of what goes winning at The Crucible.

Good post mate.

Yeah I agree, Baird had the best chance of beating him and couldn't do it. He should have done what McGill did last year.

No matter, it's history now.

Cheers Andre.

I know you didn't like the result, but you appreciate snooker in all its forms, and that is what being a snooker fan is all about.

Roll on Q school!

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Vodkadiet, I have to say I really enjoyed your comments for this World Championship. Witty and funny.

Me too!

Vodka brings a breath of fresh air here. He's a proper fan like us.

Vodka :hatoff:

Postby vodkadiet

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Vodkadiet, I have to say I really enjoyed your comments for this World Championship. Witty and funny.

Thank you Snooker Overdrive. That is very generous of you.

The main purpose of this forum is to share our thoughts about the greta game and have a laugh at the same time. Laughter is always the best medicine!

I don't come on here as often as the likes of you and Andre, but I am regularly looking over comments from you guys to keep in touch with how events are going. I don't watch as much snooker as you guys and you inform me as to how players are playing and what is happening on the tour.

Cheers guys.

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:

Me too!

Vodka brings a breath of fresh air here. He's a proper fan like us.

Vodka :hatoff:

Thanks Andre.

One last point. I have just seen Selby being interviewed by Rob Walker and he looked as if he was told by The Mafia to throw the match, and now he is waiting for his execution!

Postby Skullman

Uninterrupted for two years as well. Mentioned it earlier in the thread, but has probably been buried under all the posts. The last couple of years whenever the WN1 spot looked in danger, he's saved it. Think he needed titles to stop Ronnie taking it a couple of time in 2014/5 and won the German Masters and China Open. And now has stopped Bingham here.

Mostly likely completely coincidental but still holds true.

Postby Skullman

Anyway, end of weird season for me. Been much more busy than I used to but still enjoying the big events. I'll have some time off, and have some minor academic things like exams to sort out, but hope to be back for the early rankers.

Have a great off season people, even the ones I don't like :hatoff:

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Anyway, end of weird season for me. Been much more busy than I used to but still enjoying the big events. I'll have some time off, and have some minor academic things like exams to sort out, but hope to be back for the early rankers.

Have a great off season people, even the ones I don't like :hatoff:

Cheers Skull.

Enjoy the time off and best of luck with your academic stuff.

And once again, congrats on your favourite player Mark Selby becoming twice World Championship winner.

Very few in the game have done it, he deserves every credit for it. Well done. :hatoff: