Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship Final: Ding Junhui v Mark Sel

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Are all these tournaments really going to be full ranking events?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snooker_season_2016/2017

Something's got to replace the PTCs. Barry's not going to let the players sit around and twiddle their thumbs. I'm guessing some will be more minor than others.

I guess this will inflate the value of a ranking event win quite a bit

Postby 151kbar151

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Are all these tournaments really going to be full ranking events?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snooker_season_2016/2017

Something's got to replace the PTCs. Barry's not going to let the players sit around and twiddle their thumbs. I'm guessing some will be more minor than others.

Cancelling PTC's was mistake from Hearn. He should cancell his Championship League nonsense instead of this.

Postby Andre147

151kbar151 wrote:That clearance from Selby in the last frame was class, because he was under pressure and he played some tough shots. Congratulations :win:
And I also enjoyed Paul Collier as ref in the final, he was very strict when it came to some noises and fizzes from the public.

I loved the 'Don't be the idiot who spoils this'

PAUL :clap:

Postby Wildey

Can we get one thing 100% straight here Snooker's popularity was built around competitors like Selby.

in the 80s the likes of Alex and Jimmy was few and far between and even then Alex was just as much a competitor as Selby was its just he had this built in self destruction.

Centuries Records and one chance Snooker was not very often during that time its a art what selby does and have to be honest here if you dont appreciate what he does you dont appreciate the roots of snooker.

Yes you need the flash players but you also need the grinders.

Cliff Thorburn, Terry Griffiths, Eddie Charlton, Dennis Taylor, Steve Davis etc etc were fierce competitors and Much slower than Selby.

Postby Andre147

Snooker's popularity was built around players like Ronnie, Alex and Jimmy. :wave:

Yes you need diversity, but if the tour of full of Selby's, I can assure you the game would be dead by now.

Not having a go at Selby, just saying it as it is.

You need diversity, but the flash players are the ones that always made it more exciting to watch, that's a fact.

Postby snooker_loopy

Some observations...

I reckon the best match of the tournament was Hawkins vs O'Sullivan. In terms of standard, that was the final!

Mark Selby showed zero happiness (well, almost zero!) when he won. Didn't show any joy. Felt as if it was a "yeah, so I won, big deal" kinda reaction. Bit muted. But well done to him for becoming a double champion.

Selby proves the best player doesn't always win the WC. He admitted his B game was good enough to pull him through some of the earlier rounds. Selby is one of the best tactical and safety players of all time but even taking into account his fantastic 400 plus century breaks, I don't rate him as the best break builder. During the final he lost control of the ball on quite a few occasions. He looks (at times) pedestrian compared to the likes of O'Sullivan, Robertson, Trump, Bingham, Hawkins when they're on form.

Based on overall form, I feel Ding deserved to win the tournament. Perhaps he ran out of steam in the final but all credit to his performance over the 17 days.

I thought Steve Davis' tribute to his father was the most touching moment of the tournament. Steve was tearful as he talked about his father and how his own contribution to the game had left a permanent impression on snooker fans. Ronnie O'Sullivan and/or Stephen Hendry may be the best player(s) of all time but for sheer gentlemanly class the greatest is Steve Davis. God bless him for his contribution to the game and I'd like to say a personal "thank you, Steve" for making me a snooker fan. It was Steve's amazing success in the 1980s that first started my love for the game. :happy: :-)
Last edited by snooker_loopy on 02 May 2016, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:
Centuries Records and one chance Snooker was not very often during that time its a art what selby does and have to be honest here if you dont appreciate what he does you dont appreciate the roots of snooker.

If you don't appreciate what Selby does you don't appreciate snooker full stop.

There's a difference between appreciation and enjoyment though.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Snooker Overdrive wrote:The triple crown of snooker in 2015/16 went to Neil Robertson, Ronnie O'Sullivan and Mark Selby. Familiar names.

In the last five years they have won twelve out of fifteen triple crown events. As competitive as Snooker is they are clear ahead of the rest.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Iranu wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Well put. I appreciate very much what Selby's doing, I even admire it. I just don't get any joy or excitement out of it.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:Snooker's popularity was built around players like Ronnie, Alex and Jimmy. :wave:

Yes you need diversity, but if the tour of full of Selby's, I can assure you the game would be dead by now.

You need diversity, but the flash players are the ones that always made it more exciting to watch, that's a fact.

That is looking at it through rose colored specs.

Most of the matches played was how Selby competed this year that's a fact

yea you had Alex playing flash shots but you had Davis picking up trophies playing against Dennis, Thorburn or Griffiths in most Finals

Postby Skullman

Alex0paul wrote:I think this tournament has shown that the standard at the top is not very high at all.

More like consistency. The top players are all capable of playing great stuff and then disappearing a couple of matches later.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Snooker's popularity was built around players like Ronnie, Alex and Jimmy. :wave:

That is looking at it through rose colored specs.

Most of the matches played was how Selby competed this year that's a fact

yea you had Alex playing flash shots but you had Davis picking up trophies playing against Dennis, Thorburn or Griffiths in most Finals

The robots and grinders also give the fans of the flair players someone to root against, a reason to will them to win.

Postby TheRocket

Trump for me was the biggest disappointment in this tournament. I definitely expected more, especially after he played really well in the China Open. And I'd really like to see more Selby Trump multi session matches. We just had one and that was 5 years ago when Trump had his breakthrough.

That would be an interesting match-up.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Well put. I appreciate very much what Selby's doing, I even admire it. I just don't get any joy or excitement out of it.

I Do i absolutely loves the way players Grind their way to trophies i find it very exciting stuff i have to be honest

Roland the admin of this forum was a Jimmy White fan followed later by being a Mark Williams fan and he totally gets Selby way of playing and finds it exhilarating your missing out big time guys.

Postby Souvent

snooker_loopy wrote:Some observations...

I reckon the best match of the tournament was Hawkins vs O'Sullivan. In terms of standard, that was the final!

Mark Selby showed zero happiness (well, almost zero!) when he won. Didn't show any joy. Felt as if it was a "yeah, so I won, big deal" kinda reaction. Bit muted. But well done to him for becoming a double champion.

Selby proves the best player doesn't always win the WC. He admitted his B game was good enough to pull him through some of the earlier rounds. Selby is one of the best tactical and safety players of all time but even taking into account his fantastic 400 plus century breaks, I don't rate him as the best break builder. During the final he lost control of the ball on quite a few occasions. He looks (at times) pedestrian compared to the likes of O'Sullivan, Robertson, Trump, Bingham, Hawkins when they're on form.

Based on overall form, I feel Ding deserved to win the tournament. Perhaps he ran out of steam in the final but all credit to his performance over the 17 days.

I thought Steve Davis' tribute to his father was the most touching moment of the tournament. Steve was tearful as he talked about his father and how his own contribution to the game had left a permanent impression on snooker fans. Ronnie O'Sullivan and/or Stephen Hendry may be the best player(s) of all time but for sheer gentlemanly class the greatest is Steve Davis. God bless him for his contribution to the game and I'd like to say a personal "thank you, Steve" for making me a snooker fan. It was Steve's amazing success in the 1980s that first started my love for the game. :happy: :-)

I agree. Davis is synonymous with snooker.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Trump for me was the biggest disappointment in this tournament. I definitely expected more, especially after he played really well in the China Open. And I'd really like to see more Selby Trump multi session matches. We just had one and that was 5 years ago when Trump had his breakthrough.

Disappointment yes, but I loved him going out. <ok>

Postby 151kbar151

And now imagine the tour will be full of Ebdon's... Better full of Selby's, right?

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Trump for me was the biggest disappointment in this tournament. I definitely expected more, especially after he played really well in the China Open. And I'd really like to see more Selby Trump multi session matches. We just had one and that was 5 years ago when Trump had his breakthrough.

Disappointment yes, but I loved him going out. <ok>

Well , Judd is not my favourite player but rather him than Selby winning it. However. It's history now.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Wildey wrote:

I Do i absolutely loves the way players Grind their way to trophies i find it very exciting stuff i have to be honest

Roland the admin of this forum was a Jimmy White fan followed later by being a Mark Williams fan and he totally gets Selby way of playing and finds it exhilarating your missing out big time guys.

Sorry can't help but feel the way I feel. But that's alright - Ronnie and Selby and what they symbolise are basically the ying and yang of snooker - you need both to have a complete and well balanced sport. I think it's great that not every snooker fan is on the same page and there's real rivalry between the two camps. It's all part of the excitement.

Postby vodkadiet

Sam Baird had the best chance of beating Selby. He got back from 7-11 to 11-11 and had chances in the next, and even a chance to level at 12-12. As much as you can say Selby was granite, the truth is he was reliant on mistakes from his opponents in every match.

If Selby had played the 1998 version of John Higgins he would have been annihilated.

I like the fact that Selby has won the tournament playing what many call boring snooker, or 'anti snooker', as mental strength is more important than having what many call 'talent'.

Many can play the game to a high standard, and far higher than the standard Selby produced for much of this event, but the vast majority cannot cope with all the pressures of what goes winning at The Crucible.

Postby Skullman

Alex0paul wrote:I hope the 40+ players start to drop away now and we get a new generation coming through.

The cupboard looks bare though

I'd prefer if the younger players could actually break through the 40+s, rather than wait for them to grow old(er) and rubbish.

Postby 151kbar151

Alex0paul wrote:I hope the 40+ players start to drop away now and we get a new generation coming through.

The cupboard looks bare though

You must be barbarian to want to drop away ROS, Higgins, MJW, even your favourite Dott soon, Perry.