Post a reply

Organisers defend size of buckets

Postby ScottCorno

Just thought I'd light the torchpaper on this one;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/36174937

World Snooker Championship: Organisers defend size of pockets

Tournament organisers have denied claims the pockets are bigger than normal at the 2016 World Championship.

Several players, including 2010 winner Neil Robertson, have been highly critical of the pockets, describing them as "massive" and "like buckets".

Seven-time champion Stephen Hendry said on Twitter on Friday that it was "#bucketry at the Crucible".

But a World Snooker spokesman said: "The pocket templates are exactly the same as they are at every other event."

Re: Organisers defend size of buckets

Postby GJ

Its pure bullocks

I have saw numerous pots today hitting near jaw at pace and still dropping.

Jason Ferguson is burying his head in the sand with all this template nonsense but he's not fooling me.

Either us snooker fans all need to go to spec savers or WS our talking bullocks

I know which of those is correct

Postby Andre147

Yes I too know which one I'll believe in <ok>

Just utter nonsense. Of course nobody could expect them to suddenly admit: Yes this year we have massive buckets.

But fact remains it's been like this since probably 2009.

Postby vodkadiet

Alan McManus in his prime couldn't make the breaks he is making today. Has he become a genius overnight?

Postby GJ

Maybe the tartan strides have gave him magic powers .....

Postby GJ

All I know is its a shock when a ball hits the near jaw at pace and drops

Something is wrong but as Andre says their hardly going to admit it now.

Postby vodkadiet

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Maybe the pockets are even tighter this year than usually! But I'll wait for a press release to confirm that.

Lest we forget that they are championship pockets. This means they are tighter than a virgin's........

Postby GJ

They have been bad for a while , hendrys black a few years back was a shocker.

With WS burying their head in the sand it won't be sorted.

As wild said earlier the obsession with tons and donations to charity based on tons made may be part of the problem.

Postby vodkadiet

GJ wrote:They have been bad for a while , hendrys black a few years back was a shocker.

As wild said earlier the obsession with tons and donations to charity based on tons made may be part of the problem.

Higginson's 14th black is a joke!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwh5Cz2reGY
Last edited by vodkadiet on 29 Apr 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby GJ

vodkadiet wrote:
GJ wrote:They have been bad for a while , hendrys black a few years back was a shocker.

Higginson's 14th black is a joke!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwh5Cz2reGY

That was very wide

Postby Cloud Strife

I would expect no less from World Snooker, tbh. Barry Hearn is like a politician at times with the amount of spin and bull he comes out with. Jason Ferguson isn't much better.

These people must think we are fools!
Last edited by Cloud Strife on 29 Apr 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby snookerlover

Yup, this was the big issue with Barry Hearn. For all he's done he cares about style over substance. For him if the only way for every match could have a load of centuries is to widen the pockets, he'll widen the pockets. It's not on. Snooker is not entertainment, it's sport and you undermine that sport by widening the pockets and it's actually disrespectful to players. How would you feel as a player if WS basically said to you "we don't think you're making enough high breaks, here's some easy pockets".

Some of the balls that went this week have been an absolute joking, knocking three or four times,hitting past the knuckle and being sucked in by the seemingly vortex size pull, going in from up the cushion etc. Anyone with a good knowledge of the game can see a bucket when they are present, and this tournament has been littered with them.

Postby Big Tank

It winds me up hearing some of the commentators wax lyrical about how tight the pockets supposedly are on pro tables. These pockets are getting wider by the match.

The pockets are a joke at the crucible this year and cheapens the record books. Frankly the positional play has been poor but they've been able to pot their way out of trouble time and time again, bouncing balls off the cushions as they go like it was a 9 ball pool table.

Postby ScottCorno

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Hardcore BDO darts fans have been claiming the PDC have bigger trebles for years.

Don't believe that one. Despite photos of calipers (I think that's the term) used to measure the bed sizes, the minuscule difference between them is negligible.

That said, both BDO and PDC have gone towards using blade boards (not rounded wires) and so both organisations have made changes to increase averages.

Postby 151kbar151

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Hardcore BDO darts fans have been claiming the PDC have bigger trebles for years.

:goodpost:

Postby 151kbar151

How can be pockets larger? This is bullsh** and optical illusion made by camera angles, World Snooker is using same templates I suppose. But remember at 2007 or 2008 WCH on Riley tables pockets looked even bigger, but that was all optical illusion.

Postby Andy Spark

Big Tank wrote:It winds me up hearing some of the commentators wax lyrical about how tight the pockets supposedly are on pro tables. These pockets are getting wider by the match.

The pockets are a joke at the crucible this year and cheapens the record books. Frankly the positional play has been poor but they've been able to pot their way out of trouble time and time again, bouncing balls off the cushions as they go like it was a 9 ball pool table.

Absolutely, I remember a time when if playing down the rail if the red caught the near jaw at all it wouldn't drop. Now it doesn't matter much if you catch the near jaw a bit.