Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship (Tues April 26th) Quarter-Fin

Postby PoolBoy

Cloud Strife wrote:Ding or Barry to win this now please. If not them, Kyren or MJW. Hell, I'd even take McManus or Fu.

But please, PLEASE not Higgins or Selby. Absolutely ANYONE but those two.

If either of those two win it, they will also claim the end-of-season no.1 World Ranking!
But, if any of the other 6 players triumph, then it's Bingham who'll occupy the top spot!
Before the rolling rankings, the end of season position was a player's only ranking for the following season - it was quite a prestigious honour...
- bit of a dilemma for you, Cloud! What to wish for!
(this is assuming my arithmetic is correct!)

Postby Cue Guru

Cheshire Cat wrote:The 'Opens' begin next season, don't they? Irish, Scottish etc. Do we think O'Sullivan would enter those since they're 'home soil' in the UK as it were, or what?

Not sure if it's been discussed yet tbqh.

On topic, this is poor from Kyren. It really is.

Good point. I don't think he could have played better yesterday, he simply met the Hawk playing against him, a type of snooker he may never play again that successfully. Ronnie blew him on every stat, it's one of those, how did I lose that matches. As someone pointed out, Hendry lost a final against Kendo with the same sort of one-sided stats. To me, they've won fair and square but without dominating the majority of frames. Some call this great match play. Others use different descriptors. rofl

Postby snucar

PoolBoy wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:But please, PLEASE not Higgins or Selby. Absolutely ANYONE but those two.

If either of those two win it, they will also claim the end-of-season no.1 World Ranking!
But, if any of the other 6 players triumph, then it's Bingham who'll occupy the top spot!

Poor snooker, what have they done to you?
Last edited by snucar on 26 Apr 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Iranu

Williams and Trump strike the ball pretty much opposite to eachother (rolling vs smashing) and yet both seem to get more kicks than anyone else. Strange.

Unless it's just because I watch more of their matches of course.

Postby Cue Guru

snucar wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:But please, PLEASE not Higgins or Selby. Absolutely ANYONE but those two.

Poor snooker, what they've done to you?

:hatoff:

Exactly why the money rankings are another terrible Bernie, sorry Bazza invention. Back to points. I don't mind if the Worlds counts double bubble, seems fair. But no way should it count x6 as it does now compered to some Opens. The idea that Bingo can remain World no.1 for more than a year, after a terrible season is perverse.

There, I've said it. :innocent:

Postby Cue Guru

Iranu wrote:Williams and Trump strike the ball pretty much opposite to eachother (rolling vs smashing) and yet both seem to get more kicks than anyone else. Strange.

Unless it's just because I watch more of their matches of course.

You've brought up something interesting mate. Clean contact leads to less kicks and jumps of the cue ball and the object ball. How can this be? We hit the CB and it rolls forward towards the OB. But the way we hit it, affects how it moves and vibrates. When it contacts the OB, this affects the reaction. You often see the OB jump from those who get a lot of kicks. Trump pumps the ball, dirty contact. MJW doesn't hit it clean either, but kinda skiddy. This is ultimately down to the fingers of each player, their grip and how they drive the cue fwd. Smoother leads to less kicks.

Postby Cloud Strife

TheRocket wrote:Ding is ready to win the title. More than ever. This could and hopefully will be his year.

I hope he does win it. The guy absolutely deserves to win a world title.

Look at what he's won and what he's done for the sport. You cannot measure the impact he has had. So many people out there owe him for their livelihood. Plus, he plays the game in the right way and the right spirit. None of this intentional slow play nonsense.

Postby Cheshire Cat

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:That's now five of the last six mini sessions Wilson has played in that have ended 4-0. Could be seven out of eight soon.

Interesting stat.

The reason for that seems to be his temperament, which isn't great at times. Saw that during the Perry match. He said yesterday that at 7-1 up on mark Allen he felt it was match over and went into the second session ready to relax. Big mistake at this level.

Postby Cue Guru

Cloud Strife wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Ding is ready to win the title. More than ever. This could and hopefully will be his year.

I hope he does win it. The guy absolutely deserves to win a world title.

Look at what he's won and what he's done for the sport. You cannot measure the impact he has had. So many people out there owe him for their livelihood. Plus, he plays the game in the right way and the right spirit. None of this intentional slow play nonsense.

It's interesting that so many Ronnie fans want Ding and Kyren to succeed, it speaks volumes of their love for the beautiful game. Now those Selby fans, who'd like to drive around in the ugliest car they can find from the 80s..............

Postby Cheshire Cat

votesforgoats wrote:Haven't seen any of this morning's stuff up to now. How has everyone been playing?

Ding v MJW was fairly good throughout. Selby v Wilson was dire for the first 3 or so frames. Once Selby got a big lead he began producing the goods, for one or two frames, before it reverted to scrappy stuff.

Postby Alex0paul

TheRocket wrote:Looks like Wilson might be not as good as people think he is. And how many times this has been the case with a player?

Selby was playing average at most and Wilson still got schooled. Good practice session for Selby so far.

Selby is a much bigger step up in class from a Perry or Allen

Postby mantorok

It would be fitting if Ding could win it, looking at the remaining players left I would say he is well overdue particularly now that Trump has gone.

Postby mantorok

Cue Guru wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Well, this is just brilliant isn't it. Higgins or Selby looked nailed on to win this.

If they do, I will wipe 2016 as the year the Worlds didn't take place. The title would be meaningless. At least Bingo won it on merit, playing great snooker. This is bucking dross from the dross-meister and his slow, grinding, cockwomble, teeth-pulling, bucket of marmite, butt ugly, so called effing snooker.

There, I've said it. :innocent:

rofl