Post a reply

My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby kruppy

So, out of pure impulse, slightly high from intensely following another snooker WC last year, I coughed up a respectable amount of money and purchased a set of tickets for this year. It still feels a bit surreal, watching the tournament unfold on tv, knowing that I will be there next week. I'm very new to this forum, but I gather there are lots of experienced Crucible visitors here, so I thought I'd shout out for some basic dos and don'ts.

My plan:

I'll depart from Sweden on Monday afternoon, arriving in Sheffield Monday night. Tuesday and Wednesday I'll watch all sessions of QF3 and QF4. I'm not particularly a ROS fan, but I do hope he'll make it through as he is a legend.

Thursday will be the only two-session day, watching the beginning of both semi-finals. It'll be very exciting to sense the shift of atmosphere going down to a single table in the Crucible. Friday I'll watch all three sessions as the semi-finals continue. Saturday I'm going home, probably more exhausted than I can ever imagine.

Some relevant background information is that whereas I have followed this sport regularly on tv for about 15 years, I have never watched any snooker live. Not even an informal pub game. I really have no idea at all what to expect, except that if the atmosphere in there is just half as amazing as it comes across on tv, it will be fantastic. I have also never been in this part of England before.

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby SnookerFan

There's nothing to say, except you'll enjoy it.

This year, I cut down on what I saw and enjoyed some beers in the hotel bar whilst watching some on telly, whilst going in and out of the legendary venue. As it's your first time going, I'd recommend you don't do that. I've been going for more than a decade.

For your first session, get in early. See the venue and enjoy the atmosphere. When you walk through the doors for the first time, and see the tables in the room you'll get a "Wow!" feeling. Enjoy that.

I wish I could go for the first time again.

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby vodkadiet

As Shaun Murphy says "It's our annual pilgrimage"...

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby kruppy

SnookerFan wrote:There's nothing to say, except you'll enjoy it.

This year, I cut down on what I saw and enjoyed some beers in the hotel bar whilst watching some on telly, whilst going in and out of the legendary venue. As it's your first time going, I'd recommend you don't do that. I've been going for more than a decade.

For your first session, get in early. See the venue and enjoy the atmosphere. When you walk through the doors for the first time, and see the tables in the room you'll get a "Wow!" feeling. Enjoy that.

I wish I could go for the first time again.

Thanks! I do have the one hour advantage in the morning (session effectively starts 11am for me) so being there early should be very easy.

How does one manage to eat between sessions, given they're quite tight? Skip one frame in one of them?

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby kruppy

vodkadiet wrote:As Shaun Murphy says "It's our annual pilgrimage"...

Oh dear, did I accidentally quote Murphy?!? It's this lack of knowledge of the subtle things that might make me look a fool from time to time :-)

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby SnookerFan

kruppy wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:There's nothing to say, except you'll enjoy it.

This year, I cut down on what I saw and enjoyed some beers in the hotel bar whilst watching some on telly, whilst going in and out of the legendary venue. As it's your first time going, I'd recommend you don't do that. I've been going for more than a decade.

For your first session, get in early. See the venue and enjoy the atmosphere. When you walk through the doors for the first time, and see the tables in the room you'll get a "Wow!" feeling. Enjoy that.

I wish I could go for the first time again.

Thanks! I do have the one hour advantage in the morning (session effectively starts 11am for me) so being there early should be very easy.

How does one manage to eat between sessions, given they're quite tight? Skip one frame in one of them?



Depends what you want to do. There is food at The Crucible, so it is easy to shove something down your gob in a hurry. I managed to get something in with less than 15 minutes between sessions once. Look for the cafe downstairs, there's less queues.

If you fancy something more leisurely, they do show both sessions on TVs in The Crucible. And in the oubs next to it. So you can eat, and still see the frame you're missing televised.

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby vodkadiet

kruppy wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:As Shaun Murphy says "It's our annual pilgrimage"...

Oh dear, did I accidentally quote Murphy?!? It's this lack of knowledge of the subtle things that might make me look a fool from time to time :-)


Murphy's pilgrimage lasted less than 24 hours....

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby Snooker Overdrive

masterdoctorgenius wrote:afternoon all,

could catch any of the morning action

wtf happened with judd and especially allen?

2-6 and 1-7 (!!!) :| :| :| :| :| :|

can some1 give a brief summary


wrong thread

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby Dan-cat

Kruppy that's ace!! You're gonna love it.

When you walk into the arena it's like you've taken magic mushrooms and are inside the TV!

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Kruppy that's ace!! You're gonna love it.

When you walk into the arena it's like you've taken magic mushrooms and are inside the TV!


Speaking from experience?

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Kruppy that's ace!! You're gonna love it.

When you walk into the arena it's like you've taken magic mushrooms and are inside the TV!


Speaking from experience?


Many, many experiences with the wonderful medicine that is psilocybin, yes

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby kruppy

SnookerFan wrote:Depends what you want to do. There is food at The Crucible, so it is easy to shove something down your gob in a hurry. I managed to get something in with less than 15 minutes between sessions once. Look for the cafe downstairs, there's less queues.

If you fancy something more leisurely, they do show both sessions on TVs in The Crucible. And in the oubs next to it. So you can eat, and still see the frame you're missing televised.

Sweet, thanks!

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby kruppy

Dan-cat wrote:Kruppy that's ace!! You're gonna love it.

When you walk into the arena it's like you've taken magic mushrooms and are inside the TV!

Well, let's hope then I don't freak out and get thrown out. It would be such a waste...

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby kruppy

Damn, it was snowing as I left home this morning... In contrast I expect England to deliver glorious weather as usual. :john:

Anyways, today we'll see what QFs I'll have the pleasure to enjoy. It's going to be Selby vs either Allen or Wilson, and Fu vs either Ronnie or Hawkins.

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby kruppy

A great start to this journey. After a completely wasted day at work being mentally already in Sheffield, I somehow managed to miss my intended train connection to the airport. Luckily (?) thé flight is delayed, so there is still hope. To be continued.

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby SnookerFan

kruppy wrote:A great start to this journey. After a completely wasted day at work being mentally already in Sheffield, I somehow managed to miss my intended train connection to the airport. Luckily (?) thé flight is delayed, so there is still hope. To be continued.


Good luck, Kruppy. Keep it together man, I know you can do it. :hatoff:

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby Holden Chinaski

kruppy wrote: I'm not particularly a ROS fan, but I do hope he'll make it through as he is a legend.

I've only seen Ronnie play in Antwerp but when he entered the arena I felt like I was watching Elvis going on stage. The atmosphere was electric.

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby SnookerFan

kruppy wrote:On thé plane now. Decent looking chick next to me. Life is good again :-)



You should've seen the girl I sat by on my way home from Cardiff. :evilgrin:

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby PLtheRef

Nothing much more to add to what's been said - It's a fantastic event and even after 17 championships and 48 matches at the Crucible Theatre (including three finals) it's just as special as the first visit.

Enjoy!

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby kruppy

What can I say, truly weird (in a good way) trip thus far! Manchester airport was a mess. Once at the train station I accidentally bought a first class ticket. <doh> Was looking at the live score on my phone - looked certain Ronnie and Walden would lose. Then took the train back to Piccadilly station in Manchester and honoured Judd's loss by visiting Burger King. Ronnie 12-9 down. Jumped on the train, which had probably the least comfy first class seats imaginable. Peeked through the door and saw a guy with his mobile streaming something green. Went out there and asked whether I could watch the game over his shoulders. He gave me a weird look but agreed. Turned out his wife was Swedish and they had been on the same flight! They were really nice and we watched the match together. We saw Ronnie make it even at 12-12, then we lost the connection for a long time. When we finally got it back the score was still 1-0 in the 25:th and the table looked crazy. Of course you all know how it ended... The match finished just as we rolled in to Sheffield.

I am now safe at the hostel. It's a bit disappointing Ronnie lost but I'm sure it'll be amazing nevertheless!

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby SnookerFan

Believe me, I watched Ebdon one year at The Crucible. The match doesn't matter, the atmosphere makes it.

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby Morinas77

kruppy wrote:Decent looking chick next to me.


You won't see a lot of them in Sheffield. This is something I've really noticed about Sheffield in the last 4 years.

Re: My Sheffield pilgrimage

Postby PoolBoy

Holden Chinaski wrote:
kruppy wrote: I'm not particularly a ROS fan, but I do hope he'll make it through as he is a legend.

I've only seen Ronnie play in Antwerp but when he entered the arena I felt like I was watching Elvis going on stage. The atmosphere was electric.

Well, he was 'All Shook Up' last night! :emb: